A button to force a manoeuvre node rather than rely on the unreliable `click on orbit line`

I`d really like a way to force a manoeuvre node to be placed on the orbit line as often (and this has been the case for years) it simply is not possible to click on the orbit line to make a node. A button would do. Click button, node appears, edit node.

PLEASE give us another way to make a node in stock.

I have an idea to even more expand what you say. Add a button that allows you to set a node in <time> and then change periapsis/apoapsis normal/anti-normal radial in/out. Also there could be a mod that allows you to select what do you want to encounter and it sets up the node for you.

Edited by Ralph Kerman

2 hours ago, Ralph Kerman said:

I have an idea to even more expand what you say. Add a button that allows you to set a node in <time> and then change periapsis/apoapsis normal/anti-normal radial in/out. Also there could be a mod that allows you to select what do you want to encounter and it sets up the node for you.

That mod exists and it`s called `Mechjeb`. There also is `transfer window planner` and `PreciseNode` if you prefer to do things more hands on.

Yes, clicking is so unreliable when orbits are cluttered.

Dragging is even more unreliable, you need to be zoomed in for fine control of time sometimes, yet zoomed out to see the results this can cause.  This could just be accomplished by slowing down the mouse in proportion to time when dragging.

+1 To this idea.

I personally don't know that I agree about the bells and whistles though. I don't think that I'm unusual in coming to the game with extremely limited understanding, and jumping in without playing tutorials, or watching YouTube vids. The simplicity of the system made it quick and easy to pick up an intuitive understanding of how orbital mechanics work. While it's just presentation of the same thing, I think numeric data entry across six fields, and intercept prediction/planning, would harm that.

A simple button on the map screen to force a manoeuvre node would massively reduce stress for new and old players though. Personally I'd have the button generate a circularisation burn node, at Pe/Ap, whichever is next. Editable of course!

This question may be a *little* off topic but, do you know any mods that will plan the manouver for you (since I have a lot of trouble with planning them)? By that I mean seting where to go and it will make manouver for you. Or just make this process much easier by allowing you to run simulations.

Please don't tell me to use quicksaving (Trial and error) beacuse they freeze up the game for me and don't even generate the crash dump.

Edited by Ralph Kerman

19 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Agreed.  I also wouldn't mind the button opening Precise Node.

It probably would, seeing PN is open any time a node is present.

I'd love a simple toolbar button that just adds a maneuver node on your current path. Right click it for options like how far in the future, or for extra buttons like "at Ap" or "at Pe".

EDIT: No promises, but if I can figure out how to put code in a toolbar button, I think I have all the knowledge of how to do this. I've thought similar things about modding on several occasions in the past, though, and have always been wrong. :D

Edited by 5thHorseman

Good idea...if you're just looking for an easier way to click on your orbit line in a crowded orbit you can mouse to the top of the screen which pulls down a bar showing what's visible. Just click the satellite button and all the other satellites will be hidden so you can see you orbit more clearly.

1 hour ago, WildLynx said:

I have a few ship on Kerbol-centric orbit (they are going to Duna) and cannot add a node just before them, only on past-Duna orbit. Then I edit time in PN so node moves to desired time. It's an UI bug, it was here for a long time.

It's better to ask for mod that fixes or avoids it, then to squad to fix it.

I've had this happen too. Had to create a node after the planet encounter and then drag it all the way back around. Was kind of annoying

10 hours ago, RonaldRayGun said:

Not able to create a manoeuvre node happens to me all the time. My comment would be rather than adding anything to get around the problem the actual problem is fixed!

Yes fixing the problem would be ideal,

but also adding what 5th says ....

On 05/07/2016 at 8:17 PM, 5thHorseman said:

I'd love a simple toolbar button that just adds a maneuver node on your current path. Right click it for options like how far in the future, or for extra buttons like "at Ap" or "at Pe".

Would be a good option too.

On 7/7/2016 at 0:55 AM, RonaldRayGun said:

Not able to create a manoeuvre node happens to me all the time. My comment would be rather than adding anything to get around the problem the actual problem is fixed!

I noticed that the other day.  It turned out that I couldn't add nodes for the segment before a mun-encounter, but could add nodes during mun encounter.  After which I could just drag it back where I needed it to be.

Edited by Corona688

Personally I often have many many orbit lines in LKO and simply the clutter caused by them makes it hard sometimes to make a node as opposed to selecting a craft. I`d still like some alternative method, be it a hotkey or button that makes a node in the near future to edit.

I wouldn't mind have a button or other control that creates the node slightly in the future.  One of the other big problems with the current method I've had is accidentally clicking the "Warp to Here" button.  It's just terrible button placement, and clicking it accidentally can ruin a mission.

If someone can break "how do you actually add a button to a toolbar, such that clicking that button does stuff" down into captain dummy speak for me, I would love to write this.

I've looked through source code. I've found an undocumented piece of code that - if I knew anything about how to use it - could possibly make Blizzy's toolbar easy to implement. I've found the KSP ApplicationLauncher wiki page and several forum posts about it. Not one of these things has given me any idea how this whole thing works.

I am not a stupid man. But I feel like one right now. I feel like I want to hammer a nail and need to take a course in thermodynamics to understand how heat will transfer between the two before I swing it.

So I`ve just found myself in exactly the situation I refer to.

I had a craft which was made from multiple parts, I undocked two parts and tried to set a maneuver node for the burn to leave SOI.

Just not possible because the orbit lines are too close. Every time I click I am asked to set target or switch craft.

ANY other method would work IMHO. A drop down menu when clicking that gives options for [switch craft, focus, target, make node, etc] would be great, a modifier key so that ctrl-click forces node creation, an on screen button to just make a node, a hotkey to make a node. All these methods would allow the user to ensure that the action they want is the one that happens.

The single method that does not work is the `just click and the program will know what you want` method as invariably it does not.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.