Kerbal Charter Challenge!

2 minutes ago, Pine said:

Yeah, I did. That little tidbit of the rule was making it a bit hard to double check if people had average masses worked out or not, so I simplified it a bit. If you want it changed back, just tell me, but I think total mass works just as well as average on this challenge.

No that's fine, was just checking I wasn't going more nuts. I'll have a new run with a new score up in an hour or so anyway, so no big deal.

1 hour ago, Pine said:

Yeah, I did. That little tidbit of the rule was making it a bit hard to double check if people had average masses worked out or not, so I simplified it a bit. If you want it changed back, just tell me, but I think total mass works just as well as average on this challenge.

Well, gee, then I need to revise my score.  485.6/(17.05 * 5) = 5.696.  Still stock (no turboprops here!)

18 minutes ago, Koolkei said:

again that autopilot feature. which one is it from?

Looks like Pilot Assistant.  I use it all the time.

38 minutes ago, Koolkei said:

again that autopilot feature. which one is it from?

It's Pilot Assistant, it's not an autopilot as such ( ie, you can't set waypoints ), it's just advanced SAS. You can still steer with WASD.

I might have a go with stock engines for a change.

Edited by Van Disaster

spent about 15 minutes tinkering with it, i still don't know how it works and how to set a waypoint successfully.

pilot assistant seems to be better for me. since it turns somewhat automatically....

Edited by Koolkei

5 hours ago, Rath said:

Thats what I meant by suborbital: Exiting the atmo.  I wanna do a ballistic hop with a fancy plane.  Not cost efficient at all, but cool.

Actually it is very cost efficient since you burn no fuel in space, which is why it's banned.

Not to mention that you don't burn fuel above 40,000 meters or so.

I might attempt this with a Cessna 152 or bananza lookalike.  Or maybe a epic turboprop: https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=epic+aircraft&safe=strict&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNotjcxo3PAhXFnJQKHYnSCOoQ_AUICCgB&biw=1280&bih=655#imgrc=XZmVxqW6OelVDM%3A (This is the actual plane I flew once.  I recognize the tail number, but theres only something like 27 in the world so its not that difficult to find one)

I have two questions:

1) Since you mentioned Propellers and Jets, I'm guessing you're okay with mods for this challenge?

2) Your save file seems to work just fine with the new KSP 1.2 Prerelease. Would you mind me using 1.2 if I can (gives the new version a bit of a shakedown for landing gears, etc)?

Edited by GDJ

I just did a fresh install and vanilla test run of the 1.2 pre release with the steam version of KSP, and I'm very happy to report to you guys that so far the rover wheels, even with an 82 ton test fuel tank on top of 8 ruggedized wheels as a test, seem extremely stable.  Scott Manley did say they gave the wheel colliders another pass in his preview video.  I haven't tried them to see how they interact with cargo bays yet.

@GDJ, mods are definitely allowed as long as you follow the spirit of the challenge, and use either jets or props as propulsion. About using 1.2, though: I think  there is no issue with that, since it is a public pre-release, so as long as you don't abuse random bugs that it may or may not have, (I wouldn't know, I haven't tried it yet) it should be fair game! Good luck!

Also, could everyone that already participated send me a pic of their favorite plane (used in the challenge)? I want to see if I can start the new banner this weekend, if possible. Thanks! :D

13 hours ago, Pine said:

@GDJ, mods are definitely allowed as long as you follow the spirit of the challenge, and use either jets or props as propulsion. About using 1.2, though: I think  there is no issue with that, since it is a public pre-release, so as long as you don't abuse random bugs that it may or may not have, (I wouldn't know, I haven't tried it yet) it should be fair game! Good luck!

Thank you, and I think I'll use KSP 1.1.3 for this, just in case there is any unseen bugs in 1.2, and to keep an even playing field with the other participants.

On 15/09/2016 at 0:10 AM, Pine said:

Also, could everyone that already participated send me a pic of their favorite plane (used in the challenge)? I want to see if I can start the new banner this weekend, if possible. Thanks! :D

Well I don't have a favourite, pick one? I can colour most of them if you like too.

@GDJ, that's nice to hear! I'm kinda easy going with entries anyway, something I think many can attest to, since I really prefer the fun of the challenge more than the scoring! I mean, scores are a goal, but how you get there is the fun bit!

@Van Disaster, I'll leave the color scheming and such to whoever made the planes (you) since I want to keep that creative diversity look, but I'll have to pick your Mk2 Badger! If you can send an image of it from the right angle I should be able to get started!

Also, for everyone, I think this weekend I might finally roll out the mountain top mission for the Bush Charters, and here's a tip: suspension exists for a reason, and bring some way alternate landing method if you can, or design something really good at gliding.

Inspiration:

Spoiler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.