Kerbal Flight Simulator- Real Air Traffic Controllers And Flights

ZooNamedGames

9 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Well as to the server and all the details speak to @MK3424. He's the server owner. 

My plan is to only use air breathing engines. If you can set a pruner to remove anything that burns monopropellant, oxidizer or xenon.

What about using the RAPIER's rocket mode for high-speed, high-altitude flight? I do it.

2 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

What about using the RAPIER's rocket mode for high-speed, high-altitude flight? I do it.

With the exception of the Concord (which even then wasn't high altitude), there's no aircraft that goes that fast or that high. The whiplash will do fine and have higher ISP anyway.

I use it for my Falcon Mk IX hypersonic transport (2 cirumnavigations on it's Wheesly low-alt's) to get above the 25km jet ceiling for megaglides (East coast of the Gray Sea to the Pyramids), (Gray Sea is the name of the ocean between the Kobi Desert and the KSC continent [Klaathu] in  my Complete Kerbal Universe)

Edited by OrbitalBuzzsaw

2 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I use it for my Falcon Mk IX hypersonic transport (2 cirumnavigations on it's Wheesly low-alt's) to get above the 25km jet ceiling for megaglides (East coast of the Gray Sea to the Pyramids), (Gray Sea is part of my Complete Kerbal Universe)

Regardless, it's not that essential.

Just now, Razor235 said:

I suggest also leaving the sepratron in for short field JATO applications, if possible.

Outside of the military where would you need a rocket to take off?

Regardless, let's calm the posting and go to the IRC channel #KerbalFlightSim - that's where we can discuss this.

Just now, Alshain said:

Which server would that be?

The Kiwi server. I just clicked the IRC tab at the top of this page and replaced the #KSPOfficial tag with #KerbalFlightSim .

I just want to post there instead of here since I can't reload the page and respond fast enough.

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

The Kiwi server. I just clicked the IRC tab at the top of this page and replaced the #KSPOfficial tag with #KerbalFlightSim .

I just want to post there instead of here since I can't reload the page and respond fast enough.

Oh ok.  That is irc.esper.net (I hate Kiwi, mibbit is just so much better :P )

Edited by Alshain

Telemachus is being worked on again, which includes the position of the current craft projected onto a map - I can't see how extending that to projecting the positions of lots of craft on a map is going to be difficult. It's not ideally suited for multiplayer because it generates everything locally, but given there's a transponder component and a tracking component, the basics are in place.

I've been flying a bunch of aircraft around in clouds trying to dodge mountains, I'm starting to think I need to try writing a radar mod :P

Edited by Van Disaster

4 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

Telemachus is being worked on again, which includes the position of the current craft projected onto a map - I can't see how extending that to projecting the positions of lots of craft on a map is going to be difficult. It's not ideally suited for multiplayer because it generates everything locally, but given there's a transponder component and a tracking component, the basics are in place.

I've been flying a bunch of aircraft around in clouds trying to dodge mountains, I'm starting to think I need to try writing a radar mod :P

Well we do have the map view don't we :P ? It works well for tracking more than one craft. If someone would be nice enough to make us a texture replacer texture to cover cover with Air Traffic Control authority lines then that would be awesome!

Well on a normal trip you'd be over the majority of the terrain so it shouldn't be a problem... hopefully. But that's why we don't leave it up to an autopilot :P .

2 minutes ago, Razor235 said:

I do have another question:  Would you stick with meters for altitudes, or do would use feet like most of the real world for more precise altitude controls?

Meters, simply because it would take too long and be too difficult to overhaul the game into feet, or knots.

If you have any other questions get on the IRC channel #KerbalFlightSim and ask.

I am a bit worried about removing stock parts just to make things load a bit faster. First effect will be every new player will ask why his stock craft doesn't work, second effect will be that sub-orbital space travel as offered by some companies will be rendered impossible.

For the ATC stuff I am with @VanDisaster as I believe that the stock map does not provide the level of detail and information needed for ATC. I need heights, heading, speed and probably the position of a runway to do that job. The point of that job is to avoid collisions, so you need to know if two craft will collide or not and the stock map doesn't give me any overview on that data.

I agree it will be hard/impossible to remove hard coded stuff but an addon like MJ should be able to be modified to give height in ft and distances in nautical miles. After all the conversion is just an easy multiplication and it will add much to realism as all aircraft use ft and naut. miles. Otherwise, we had to redefine the flight level...

EDIT Here's a game that pretty much sums up the data you need for each aircraft: atc-sim.com

Edited by something

53 minutes ago, something said:

I am a bit worried about removing stock parts just to make things load a bit faster. First effect will be every new player will ask why his stock craft doesn't work, second effect will be that sub-orbital space travel as offered by some companies will be rendered impossible.

For the ATC stuff I am with @VanDisaster as I believe that the stock map does not provide the level of detail and information needed for ATC. I need heights, heading, speed and probably the position of a runway to do that job. The point of that job is to avoid collisions, so you need to know if two craft will collide or not and the stock map doesn't give me any overview on that data.

I agree it will be hard/impossible to remove hard coded stuff but an addon like MJ should be able to be modified to give height in ft and distances in nautical miles. After all the conversion is just an easy multiplication and it will add much to realism as all aircraft use ft and naut. miles. Otherwise, we had to redefine the flight level...

EDIT Here's a game that pretty much sums up the data you need for each aircraft: atc-sim.com

They will be warned stock parts won't work. Failure to read the rules will result in that issue. There never will be sub-orbital flights as I will be the one giving the contracts until a program can randomly create them based on my parameters.

If you have a better solution over the map mode then I'll listen, but until then it's a null point. As for information like height and such as when approaching an airport, normal camera view can give more. Not to mention aircraft can provide their own information. 

1 hour ago, something said:

You don't have to remove them, but DMP will not allow you to use them if it is configured correctly so removing them is just an optional speed up.  DMP tells you if the part is not allowed, it won't allow you to launch your craft due to invalid parts.

Players will be able to take on contracts such as ferrying passengers on airline flights, or take on smaller ferries in simple aircraft (like how some people offer rides to people in Cessna's or Piper aircraft in real life). They can even carrying cargo to their destination. 

This will need to take place somewhere other than our forum. Fictional companies and the arguments and headaches they caused are the very reason roleplaying had to be banned here (2.2.j). No contracts, no employees, no fictional businesses. Sorry, guys. :(