For real

PB666

Good luck. You can't deport them to their home country, their country has no judiciary, no executive, no legal system. They produce nothing for export, and have no diplomatic or real influence.

Publicity stunt, or another thing I can add to the folder of 'evidence even scientists can be idiots'.

Naaaah. Don't think so. Cool name though.

EDIT:

1 hour ago, Stargate525 said:

Good luck. You can't deport them to their home country, their country has no judiciary, no executive, no legal system. They produce nothing for export, and have no diplomatic or real influence.

Publicity stunt, or another thing I can add to the folder of 'evidence even scientists can be idiots'.

Actually, after rethinking this, how this "state" could be of any international meaning is asteroids hauling. Such "country" would bring asteroids to the station, mine it and sell the precious stuff. Just like it is here on Earth. There are small countries that have almost no natural resources but offer things others don't. Not sure if it's a good example or not, but isn't Switzerland this kind of country? They have almost no natural resources AFAIK and yet offer services on a level that no other states do (Banks? Swiss knives? Cool guns? Watches? Cheese?).

Edited by Veeltch

40 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

Naaaah. Don't think so. Cool name though.

EDIT:

Actually, after rethinking this, how this "state" could be of any international meaning is asteroids hauling. Such "country" would bring asteroids to the station, mine it and sell the precious stuff. Just like it is here on Earth. There are small countries that have almost no natural resources but offer things others don't. Not sure if it's a good example or not, but isn't Switzerland this kind of country? They have almost no natural resources AFAIK and yet offer services on a level that no other states do (Banks? Swiss knives? Cool guns? Watches? Cheese?).

Not to mention their military abilities in such a situation, if they were to choose to drop an asteroid onto a city. If not multiple... Of course, it'd be a bad idea politically, but a state with that kind of power could essentially hold the world hostage. It can issue a warning to its Earthly citizens as well. That is, if it could even get off the ground.

Just now, Bill Phil said:

Not to mention their military abilities in such a situation, if they were to choose to drop an asteroid onto a city. If not multiple... Of course, it'd be a bad idea politically, but a state with that kind of power could essentially hold the world hostage. It can issue a warning to its Earthly citizens as well. That is, if it could even get off the ground.

Yeah, I don't think it will happen any time soon (not in this century, that's for sure), but it's pretty interesting to think about.

Crowdfunding a giant Red Dwarf-esque (at least that's what the picture looks like) mining station over teh interwebz when we haven't even left LEO (That being funded by a world superpower pouring money in for a decade) in 44 years? They're more optimistic than Elon Musk!

3 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

So they're supervillains. In that case, I will gladly consider funding Moonraker 2.0.

Just kidding. This concept is about as realistic as Russia building a Death Star by 2025.

27 minutes ago, Stargate525 said:

Did you guys read the article? There IS NO STATION. The entirety of the 'territory' this fictional nation will have is a commercial satellite.

It makes less sense that claiming an unused oil rig is its own sovereign country.

Yes, of course. The real goal is getting recognized as a nation state in space (somehow), which would lay the groundwork for how space nations could come into being in the future. And, assuming anything happens, they could expand it into a station in due time (which would probably be decades, if they get off the ground in the first place).

21 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Yes, of course. The real goal is getting recognized as a nation state in space (somehow), which would lay the groundwork for how space nations could come into being in the future. And, assuming anything happens, they could expand it into a station in due time (which would probably be decades, if they get off the ground in the first place).

Eh... Still a pipe dream IMO. I think the first real extraterrestrial nation will be whichever lunar or martian colony decides to make a go of it on their lonesome. I'd be flabbergasted if that happened in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, Stargate525 said:

Eh... Still a pipe dream IMO. I think the first real extraterrestrial nation will be whichever lunar or martian colony decides to make a go of it on their lonesome. I'd be flabbergasted if that happened in my lifetime.

I agree. It's pretty much a pipe dream. The most they'll actually get is a satellite, and there's no guarantee there.

Alright, guys, I did my own digging on Reddit (world-class sleuthing work, I know, no need to thank me) and the project is a bit sinister. Their website contains some interesting lines:

economic and political considerations often take precedence over purely scientific ones and ethical boundaries are considered necessary to sustain safety.

Now, the project is chaired by the previous head of Almaz-Antei, Russia's surface-to-air missile manufacturer, who was known to proclaim the following:

We stand idle, bound by international treaties about a ‘peaceful space’ which no one observes, except for us. The militarization of space is inevitable. What’s more, it is vitally needed.

And Asgardia's primary objective is some kind of an asteroid defense system.

Musk isn't the only supervillain in town, it seems!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.