Elon Musk: "Kerbal is awesome!"

ansaman

From: http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2475237/elon-musk-outlines-plans-for-mars-base-alpha

"Musk also admitted to being a big fan of PC game Kerbal Space Program, which simulates the challenges of space travel, requiring real-world astrophysical calculations in order to succeed.

"Kerbal Space Program!" Musk exclaimed when asked if he had heard of it. "Kerbal is awesome!" He added."

1 hour ago, flatbear said:

I hope elon will buy the rights to kerbal space program from squad

So instead of somewhat regular updates, we will get announcements and dreams of grandeur with no real delivery till weeks, months, or yeeeeaaars (looking at you, Falcon Heavy) later? :P 

5 minutes ago, TheKosmonaut said:

So instead of somewhat regular updates, we will get announcements and dreams of grandeur with no real delivery till weeks, months, or yeeeeaaars (looking at you, Falcon Heavy) later? :P 

The game will now ship with helium, on which all future crashes will be blamed...

*ducks for cover*

I remember back when the KSP homepage had this quote right up on top. "Kerbal is awesome!" - Elon Musk

I think the only real question here is WHY GOD WHY WAS IT REMOVED? Dunno seems like endorsement and praise from one of the most relevant living people in the field should be framed and hung on the wall for...forever. ヽ(/͠°ᴥ┐͡ ͠°)ノ

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

Anyone else bothered by the weird grammatical choice of "Kerbal is awesome!"?

ummm well not until you pointed it out, I think it's right but only in context.

Kerbal (meaning the game) is singular

Kerbal (meaning the species) is singular or plural

Kerbal (meaning an individual) is singular

Kerbal (as a description (adjective) of being erratic or tendency to make something blow up) makes no sense with out a subject

Kerbal (as an adverb meaning to do something with reckless disregard for laws of physics and engineering with more struts) could make sense but I'd rather not think so from the head of SpaceX (though would make sense...)

So a better sentence taking this in mind is "kerbal kerbal is kerbal!"

35 minutes ago, Kertech said:

ummm well not until you pointed it out, I think it's right but only in context.

Kerbal (meaning the game) is singular

Kerbal (meaning the species) is singular or plural

Kerbal (meaning an individual) is singular

Kerbal (as a description (adjective) of being erratic or tendency to make something blow up) makes no sense with out a subject

Kerbal (as an adverb meaning to do something with reckless disregard for laws of physics and engineering with more struts) could make sense but I'd rather not think so from the head of SpaceX (though would make sense...)

Kerbal meaning the game...doesn't scan for me

Kerbal meaning the species, is similar to the word "human" - 1 human, 1 kerbal, 2 humans, 2 kerbals.

Saying "Kerbal is awesome" is analogous to saying "Human is awesome!" in reference to "a human space program", thus it makes no sense!

These would have made sense:

"Being Kerbal is awesome!"

"Kerbals are awesome!"

Though if I could choose a preference, I would have had him charge around the stage pumping his arms in the air chanting "IM A KERBAL IM A KERBAL MYOOP-NYORG-DA-BYURBLE-PLORP!!"

But I think that might have impacted his business...

Anyway, Im sure he just misspoke :)

2 hours ago, Kertech said:

Oh NO! This brought to mind the Smurfs where many adjectives, verbs, and nouns are replaced as in:

"I caught Jeb Kerman keballing the kerbal! His kerbal was all kerballed!"

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Though if I could choose a preference, I would have had him charge around the stage pumping his arms in the air chanting "IM A KERBAL IM A KERBAL MYOOP-NYORG-DA-BYURBLE-PLORP!!"

Hey... HEY... Language ! :)

9 minutes ago, bounty123 said:

I'm sure he didn't. He just shortened the full Kerbal Space Program with the first word, seems perfectly fine to me.

You're probably right. Still grates though D:

Elon should learn how to squanch.

10 hours ago, TheKosmonaut said:

No, we're speaking of software, which they pretty much have nailed down:  https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=27141.0

However, if your PC's mainboard cannot support 14+ physical CPU's, or your PSU cannot supply clean 1.21 Gigawatts of power, that's not his problem!

16 hours ago, ansaman said:

"Kerbal Space Program!" Musk exclaimed when asked if he had heard of it. "Kerbal is awesome!" He added."

Cool! If he starts calling junior officers on the Mars transport "Enzin" or publishes a list of "General Orders" beginning with #0, somebody ping me OK?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.