[INDEV]-[1.4.3] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

daniel l.

Just now, seanth said:

What version of TBG are you using? The galaxy file you provide looks like it was made by an older release. And...that's a good idea, actually. Include a single line in the galaxy file that says what version made it.

Yes!! That should be an extra feature for 0.2.7! a little comment at the head of the config, That states the version and the seed.

That's an issue a lot of us have been having.  We think we've tracked down the source, best bet in the mean time is to just wait for an official update with the fix, as the last patch had a few bugs they're trying to get out.

On 3/1/2017 at 2:41 PM, XtremeKerbal said:

I need help! When I start my game it works but when I load my save it stays stuck on the loading screen.

People that are experiencing this "stuck in loading" problem: could you please share the parameters you used to set up your galaxy, and whether you are using the most recent version (0.2.6.5)? It would make troubleshooting much easier on our end if we can replicate the problems you are seeing.

This morning I removed the bit that allows the space center to appear. Right now it seems like we can have a missing space center and no terrain glitches OR the space center and terrain glitches. For the time, it is removed.

There is a Mac OS version, but based on what I am hearing it only works on 10.12. I can't build windows versions on my machine yet. Maybe a minor bug-fix point release soon?

Bug fixes:

• •Traded missing KSC for terrain stability
  • •Cluster galaxy generation works (mea culpa on that one)

Version 0.2.6.6 will be out soon. It will include the things that @seanth mentioned above. Then in the next few days, We will soon release version 0.3, it will mark the replacement of my original inefficient star generation algorithm, With a new one made by @seanth Honestly I'm getting more and more confused as to what I'm even still here for :P After 0.3 i hope to release 0.3.5 which will hopefully add rare planets, Then 0.4 which will finally add the procedural worlds you all crave. 

I think the most important changes that need to be made to the generation code is a failsafe that ensures that the kerbol system is not moved or relocated and that the stock planets maintain their original CBI's. It seems that most of the graphic issues at the KSC and physics problems on the launch pad are proportional to the distance that kerbol is offset from the center of the universe. (Yeah this is a bit cheesy but unless squad improves the game's handling of this type of relocation its needed for stability) Also on a side note one of the issues i had with the previous version of the generator was excessively large maps that would not run at a reasonable frame-rate. You may want to include a option for maximum number of stars to control the size of generated maps while maintaining the randomness of automatic generation. 

Edited by Mikeloeven

2 hours ago, Mikeloeven said:

I think the most important changes that need to be made to the generation code is a failsafe that ensures that the kerbol system is not moved or relocated and that the stock planets maintain their original CBI's. It seems that most of the graphic issues at the KSC and physics problems on the launch pad are proportional to the distance that kerbol is offset from the center of the universe. (Yeah this is a bit cheesy but unless squad improves the game's handling of this type of relocation its needed for stability) Also on a side note one of the issues i had with the previous version of the generator was excessively large maps that would not run at a reasonable frame-rate. You may want to include a option for maximum number of stars to control the size of generated maps while maintaining the randomness of automatic generation. 

The thing is though. I don't really want Kerbol to be the center of the universe. But I'll try it out and see if it fixes the problems.

Going to try something new here. A lot of what @daniel l. discuss and do is behind the scenes, but I started wondering whether people would be interested in the sort of "inside baseball" talk going on, so here's an example. Think of it as TBG dev letters

--------------

Dearest Koogie,

Inbetween data analysis at work I have been noodling with TBG "McMahon" build a little (on github). I was testing something and in the process found some bugs:

• Problem when making 0 planets in a system
  • Prints junk to file when trying to make a ring

Squashed those and I present a proof-of-concept test galaxy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p93pg5atzh8hvv6/galaxy.cfg?dl=0

90 stars, 169 planets, 259 moons.

The experiment is in line with what @Mikeloeven said. I've been playing with leaving Kerbin's sun alone and making a new core. I kept trying to reparent the sun to the new Core, but that either ended up with the game in prema-load or terrain glitches.

I realized that the movement of stars in the galaxy is so minuscule that it would be hard for players to see what was _really_ orbiting what if the orbit lines are missing.

So Kerbin's sun stays where it is. Nothing is changed. A new star that acts as the galactic core is made and placed a reasonable distance from the Sun. All the other generated stars are placed around the Core. Just looking at it, you can't tell that the core is _actually_ in orbit around Kerbin's sun.

I hope that people will try out that test galaxy and let us know whether it fixes the physics and terrain glitches. If it seems to work, I'll roll the code changes into it. 0.3 will be a lot of changes: procedural stars, planets from other planet packs as templates, and the end of terrain glitches/missing ksc/physics wat.

I'll revert planet semimajor axis calcs back to what they were originally on Friday.

Yours,

seanth

Edited by seanth

I tried out the new test galaxy.  I took some screenshots of my results:

1e0c068930dfce690e0410bd77054d60.jpgfca66f58fc2cd53218b4692a1727b592.jpga1115c51fa2e8757682beba9da9010e3.jpg

The first shot shows my KSC.  Terrain glitches very much so still in play.  Also there's some sort of weird blue glow?  The second shows the Kerbol system, which is showing a new bug, as the planets are all kinds of out of whack.  Jool appears to be the one effected here, and the things orbiting it are Jool I and II, which appears to be based on the naming conventions of TBG.  The third shows the galaxy I generated, with a red circle around the sun.

46 minutes ago, The_Right_Arm said:

I tried out the new test galaxy.  I took some screenshots of my results:

1e0c068930dfce690e0410bd77054d60.jpgfca66f58fc2cd53218b4692a1727b592.jpga1115c51fa2e8757682beba9da9010e3.jpg

The first shot shows my KSC.  Terrain glitches very much so still in play.  Also there's some sort of weird blue glow?  The second shows the Kerbol system, which is showing a new bug, as the planets are all kinds of out of whack.  Jool appears to be the one effected here, and the things orbiting it are Jool I and II, which appears to be based on the naming conventions of TBG.  The third shows the galaxy I generated, with a red circle around the sun.

This can't be the test galaxy I posted. There are too few stars and their colours are all wrong. I you using the galaxy.cfg I put on dropbox, or did you mean you made a new galaxy with 0.2.6.5 or 0.2.6.6?

EDIT: Doh. Helps if I read more. That last image is a galaxy you generated. I'm still confused by the Jool I and Jool II though: I looked in the dropbox galaxy file I posted and there's no occurrence of "Jool I" or "Jool II" in the file. Could there be an older TBG galaxy file in you folder messing things up? 

Edited by seanth

That was made by patching the galaxy.cfg you posted to an otherwise unmodified 0.2.6.5 install, and creating a new galaxy.  I'm double checking now to make good and sure I didn't fudge something up along the way.  Out of curiosity, is that cfg compiled for windows or mac?  Looking at it, it doesn't look at all similar to the cfg's of previous installs that I've played with.

Update: Double check came back with the same results as previously, although the bug with Jool is no longer present with the galaxy I just generated.

Edited by The_Right_Arm

4 minutes ago, The_Right_Arm said:

That was made by patching the galaxy.cfg you posted to an otherwise unmodified 0.2.6.5 install, and creating a new galaxy.  I'm double checking now to make good and sure I didn't fudge something up along the way.  Out of curiosity, is that cfg compiled for windows or mac?  Looking at it, it doesn't look at all similar to the cfg's of previous installs that I've played with.

The file I posed should not need any patching. It does not move the sun, or reparent any of the stock planets or moons. It should just work

All my work is done on Mac OS, but that shouldn't matter.

Edited by seanth

3 minutes ago, The_Right_Arm said:

Sorry if my phrasing confused you.  Basically I just replaced the galaxy.cfg with the one you provided, and generated a fresh galaxy once that was installed.

Oh, I get it. Don't make a fresh galaxy. Just download the galaxy.cfg from dropbox, put it into the TBG dir in the KSP GameData dir and launch KSP. When you make a new galaxy, you overwrite the galaxy.cfg you just downloaded.

The first three lines of the galaxy.cfg should read:

//Generated by To Boldly Go, verion 0.2.7
//Seed:  1234
//manual tweeks by STH

Yes. Version is spelled incorrectly :blush:

Edited by seanth

2 minutes ago, The_Right_Arm said:

Sorry if my phrasing confused you.  Basically I just replaced the galaxy.cfg with the one you provided, and generated a fresh galaxy once that was installed.

Just replacing the config file does not constitute an update. You need to replace everything, The code is stored in the EXE file and there are many assets that are required as well.

1 minute ago, seanth said:

Oh, I get it. Don't make a fresh galaxy. Just download the galaxy.cfg from dropbox, put it into the TBG dir in the KSP GameData dir and launch KSP. When you make a new galaxy, you overwrite the galaxy.cfg you just downloaded.

Alright, I removed the GalaxyInfo file I generated, just leaving the cfg.  Launching now to see if that does the trick.

1 minute ago, The_Right_Arm said:

Alright, I removed the GalaxyInfo file I generated, just leaving the cfg.  Launching now to see if that does the trick.

Uhm... The GalaxyInfo file is nothing but a txt containing shareable information to others who may want to build the same galaxy. What you need to do is update completely by reinstalling the mod with the version @seanth provided. You can easily back up the old version if you want.

8 minutes ago, The_Right_Arm said:

Just to clarify, like @daniel l. said, that galaxy.cfg on dropbox isn't a update to TBG: it's just a test galaxy I made using unreleased code changes and hand edits to try and fix the missing KSC/terrain glitches/physics wat. If the test galaxy works for people, the changes I made by hand will be worked into the code of TBG

<eagerly awaits an update from @The_Right_Arm> :nervous:

Edited by seanth

Just now, seanth said:

Just to clarify, like @daniel l. said, that galaxy.cfg on dropbox isn't a update to TBG: it's just a test galaxy I made using unreleased code changes and hand edits to try and fix the missing KSC/terrain glitches/physics wat. If the test galaxy works for people, the changes I made by hand will be worked into the code of TBG

Ah. Sorry @The_Right_Arm i thought @seanth had posted a full development build of TBG. :blush: I haven't had much time lately to look into stuff.