[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

4 hours ago, voicey99 said:

How did you land that kontainer in the top left? It has an engine but no fuel tank (unless the nose cone is a tank?).

And tbh in Minmus' low gravity I simply harpoon parts with KIS and drag them around, no fancy cranes involved.

Nose cone is a tank, otherwise I wouldn't have drug it all the way out to Minmus.  :wink:  It's from SpaceY.  (As is the engine, and the probe core/battery/sas...)

I don't think of harpoons much - I tried them for that once ages ago on Mun, and they didn't have the drag strength.  Besides, in this particular case I was trying to get stuff into a pretty tight space between two bases (which had non-retractable solar panels sticking out around them...) and harpoon's tendency to 'wander' as you drag would have likely meant something broken.  (And, as a last point: I then had to assemble this into place at the other end - and with the Konstruction parts I could do it with the one Kerbal, where I would have had to pull out three-four others and have them stand around to do the same without.)

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Reminder - there is a new pre-release for the constellation available (let me know if anyone gets lag with this version or not!)

Is there a changelog available? I mean from the last stable version (0.50.18) to this new pre-release or the next stable version 

2 hours ago, voicey99 said:

I have fallen victim to this before, but I think this is a stock bug given I have also had my craft thrash about on me and break up for no apparent reason. Tundra modules do seem especially susceptible though, my guess would be how they might half-clip into one another when attached end-to-end (in that they produce a cone when attached to a different diameter part, like an engine shroud). This issue was kinda swept under the carpet when the grount tether was added to restrain the kraken via brute force, but I've never seen this on a station before. Try using KJR to give you enough time to install a Ranger Anchor Hub and use its weight transfer (rendering all attached parts physicsless) function?

well, i was able to fix it by swapping out the multihubs between the rings for 2.5m kerbitats, but i enabled rigid attachment just in case

2 hours ago, voicey99 said:

P.S. there are free screen capture programs out there that will do a much better job that a phone camera held up to the screen. If you use a Nvidia gfx card you might have one inbuilt.

I have a GTX 980, how do i use the recorder?

5 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

Two things:

First, parts have colliders that don't necessarily match the visual mesh of the part. So it could well be that you *do* have parts clipped, and you just don't see it.

Second, do you have Autostruts? I had a similar issue, but I was able to "fix" it by going through the parts and disabling autostruts one by one, and found the one part whose autostrutting caused wild oscillations.

One: I did fix it by replacing multihubs with 2.5m kerbitats

Two: autostruts were off. i only turn them on when something needs more reinforcement, and to try to fix things like this.

20 minutes ago, Plecy75 said:

They had one built into the Geforce Experience, but since it now requires you to be logged in for some reason I don't use it any more.

You have 2 other options:

FRAPS: fairly simple, but limited, and has a watermark
OpenBroadcast: Powerfull streaming/screen recording tool, but is a bit weird to set up

31 minutes ago, Plecy75 said:

What @Kobymaru said, but to use the Nvidia inbuilt one (ShadowPlay) log in and (ingame or elsewhere) either press alt-Z to bring up the sharing menu (this will tab you out) and manually start recording under the 'record' dropdown or assign a hotkey. I did try using OBS, and found it only takes really cruddy footage. Or maybe that was during the conversion from .flv (which OBS saves recordings as), not sure.

Edited by voicey99

17 hours ago, RoverDude said:

@Grobluk (and anyone else interested in testing it out)

new pre-release is up.  Please let me know if anyone experiences any unusual lag, etc.

Thanks!

European timezone and work, hence the delay.

Downloaded the new pre -release first thing when I came home and whatever you did worked wonders. No lag whatsoever. No longer shall 90% of the Kerbals I rescue turn out to be Quartermasters!!!

Great work, and superfast too. 

13 minutes ago, Danilo Coelho said:

So, just the level of the kerbals increases the efficiency? Can i hire the most stupid kerbals and nothing happens?

Pretty much, yep.  The only place I know of where it really makes any difference is in Extraplanetary Launchpads.

11 minutes ago, Danilo Coelho said:

So, just the level of the kerbals increases the efficiency? Can i hire the most stupid kerbals and nothing happens?

The only thing those two stats do is affect how they look in their IVA portraits.

Tried out the newest constellation release, and the console is spewing one of these errors every few ms:

Spoiler

[EXC 18:14:45.178] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    USITools.ModuleLogisticsConsumer.FixedUpdate ()
[EXC 18:14:45.179] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KolonyTools.MKSModule.FixedUpdate ()

Know anything about that?

Edited by voicey99

Coming back to KSP (and the forums) after a long break, been reviewing my mod use. Pretty much slimmed it down to the USI suite, KIS/KAS and MechJeb (I don't have the motor skill to fly gravity turns).

Part of the reason for sticking with USI is the coherence of it (helps a lot when you're autistic) but not sure how best to make drills? I've just stuck legs, a drill, power coupler and radiator on an MKS Kontainer and use that as a rig.

Also having a couple of issues/questions with the MKS mod:

- Kerbitrails sometimes disconnect on a load, splitting my base.

- What do the Geology/Botany/Kolonization %'s mean?

- I seem to be losing KIS tools when boarding, looks like it's on the deployed Ranger hab as I sometimes see it float for a bit outside afterwards.
- How do the rates work for planning logistics? I know drills have a set amount based on thermal efficiency (listed in VAB), and the load on MKS modules is production rate (as in 136% means 36% extra per tick compared to VAB stats rather than not being able to keep up with supply) but I don't get regiolith mechanics.

For example the sifter takes 9 dirt/tick, gives X stuff/tick. At load 150% that would be 14.5 dirt to 1.5X stuff (I think). How is the output calculated? Had a look through the forum and wiki but drawing a blank.

12 minutes ago, Deathninja said:

Coming back to KSP (and the forums) after a long break, been reviewing my mod use. Pretty much slimmed it down to the USI suite, KIS/KAS and MechJeb (I don't have the motor skill to fly gravity turns).

Part of the reason for sticking with USI is the coherence of it (helps a lot when you're autistic) but not sure how best to make drills? I've just stuck legs, a drill, power coupler and radiator on an MKS Kontainer and use that as a rig.

- I seem to be losing KIS tools when boarding, looks like it's on the deployed Ranger hab as I sometimes see it float for a bit outside afterwards.
- How do the rates work for planning logistics? I know drills have a set amount based on thermal efficiency (listed in VAB), and the load on MKS modules is production rate (as in 136% means 36% extra per tick compared to VAB stats rather than not being able to keep up with supply) but I don't get regiolith mechanics.

For example the sifter takes 9 dirt/tick, gives X stuff/tick. At load 150% that would be 14.5 dirt to 1.5X stuff (I think). How is the output calculated? Had a look through the forum and wiki but drawing a blank.

For your MKS questions, the wiki is a great resource and should have the answers to a bunch of your questions.

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki

For KIS, KIS "seat" inventory only works for modules that have seats in the VAB.  SInce inflatable parts have no seats when deflated they have no KIS "seat inventory"  your best bet is to stow your tools in a container before boarding.  Seat inventory is a touchy function of KIS and not something I like to rely on.

10 minutes ago, Deathninja said:

Not sure about the kerbitrails, but the answers to these are easy to find in the thread if you know how to use the search box (top right of the page). As I said two pages ago:

On 06/05/2017 at 2:03 PM, voicey99 said:

Having crew on the surface (and orbit?) of a planet will start to build up those three ratings depending on which professions they are (see this article, FundsBoost means they generate geology points, RepBoost generates kolonisation and ScienceBoost generates botany). As these ratings increase, they will provide buffs to certain parts. All MKS converter parts (Ranger, Tundra and MPU modules) and drills will get these buffs. For converters and drills, it's the vanilla efficiency formula*the geology rating as a decimal2 (e.g. if it is 120%, the decimal would be 1.2, which means you get a production mult of 1.44) with the exception of the agriculture module which uses geology rating*botany rating instead. You might find this mod useful:

Kolonisation does not provide any direct bonuses, but once it hits 500% all kerbals with habtimes of over a year(?) gain permanent habitation when on the surface (and orbit?) when using USI-LS.

As these ratings increase, it will also generate rewards in the relevant area (Geology gives funds, Botany gives science and Kolonisation gives rep) that can be collected from a Pioneer Module.

As for the KIS bug, it has also been brought up many times and is known, the issue is that the inflatable modules have no defined crew capacity (and so no defined KIS space) at launch and KIS does not take into account the extra crew space created when they are expanded.

4 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

As for the KIS bug, it has also been brought up many times and is known, the issue is that the inflatable modules have no defined crew capacity (and so no defined KIS space) at launch and KIS does not take into account the extra crew space created when they are expanded.

To be accurate, I wouldn't really classify it as a "bug".  "seat inventory" isn't actually defined storage space.  You can also lose tools for example if you try to put them into a seat inventory slot that is not occupied by a kerbal.  You will also lose the contents if you fill an empty "seat" in the VAB and launch.

If you read way back in the original KIS thread, the only reason "seat inventory" was created was to give a way to fill a kerbal's backpack in the VAB, since there was no way to select a kerbal specifically in the VAB.  At the same time Kospy did not want to add built in KIS space to every capsule, which is why it was never implemented as actual storage.  Kind of a hack job and has been the source of frustration since it was implemented.

5 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

To be accurate, I wouldn't really classify it as a "bug".  "seat inventory" isn't actually defined storage space.  You can also lose tools for example if you try to put them into a seat inventory slot that is not occupied by a kerbal.  You will also lose the contents if you fill an empty "seat" in the VAB and launch.

If you read way back in the original KIS thread, the only reason "seat inventory" was created was to give a way to fill a kerbal's backpack in the VAB, since there was no way to select a kerbal specifically in the VAB.  At the same time Kospy did not want to add built in KIS space to every capsule, which is why it was never implemented as actual storage.  Kind of a hack job and has been the source of frustration since it was implemented.

So it's a bug with a bug? Hmm...

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

Tried out the newest constellation release, and the console is spewing one of these errors every few ms:

Hide contents

[EXC 18:14:45.178] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    USITools.ModuleLogisticsConsumer.FixedUpdate ()
[EXC 18:14:45.179] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KolonyTools.MKSModule.FixedUpdate ()

Know anything about that?

Full log file please

Just now, voicey99 said:

So it's a bug with a bug? Hmm...

Well no.  It was implemented exactly the way Kospy envisioned it.  So it is working as he intended it (he discussed it plenty in the early days of KIS).  It was just a poor implementation in my opinion.  What would have been better would have been a way to specify and track a kerbal's backpack inventory so that would persist whether they were seated somewhere or on IVA.  But maybe that wasn't possible.

1 minute ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Full log file please

It's 300GB long (mostly NRE spam), so it's going to take about 20m to upload-I hope you like waiting for downloads and scrolling. The save also isn't stock/USI, I'll try that out later.

[link for when it's finished]

2 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

It's 300GB long (mostly NRE spam), so it's going to take about 20m to upload-I hope you like waiting for downloads and scrolling. The save also isn't stock/USI, I'll try that out later.

[link for when it's finished]

can you instead just start KSP again, get it to the point where it starts spamming and then quit and upload the new log? I'm not looking at a file that big, sorry :/

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

Just now, TheRagingIrishman said:

can you instead just start KSP again, get it to the point where it starts spamming and then quit? I'm not looking at a file that big, sorry :/

You're in luck, it just this second had an access violation and crashed.