CKAN (The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network); v1.28.0 - Dyson

politas

-= Download the latest release =-

The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN)

The CKAN is a mod management solution for Windows, Mac and Linux that targets the .NET 4.5 framework and Mono 5.0 or higher. It installs, updates, and uninstalls mods automatically, leveraging strong metadata about the mods it installs to ensure they are compatible with the version of KSP in the installation it is working on, free of conflicts, and are installed in a reliable and predictable fashion.
If you've used Linux, then the CKAN is apt-get for KSP. Like the App Store or Play Store for your phone, the CKAN knows which version of KSP you're running, which mods are compatible, and how to install, uninstall, and manage them.
The CKAN provides strong guarantees on consistency. It will not allow conflicting mods to be installed unless you explicitly override the version awareness, nor will it allow a mod to be installed without its dependencies. It will never leave mods in a half-installed state. It will never overwrite a file owned by another mod, nor a mod that was installed outside of the CKAN.

The CKAN has a GUI which is stable on Windows and Linux. To run it, simply double-click the ckan.exe file, run it with mono ckan.exe, or look for the CKAN Launcher in your menu system. Mac users will launch into the consoleui by default, since Apple decided to break backwards compatibility and stop supporting 32-bit GUI calls.
ckan-128.png?raw=true

ckan-main-1.22.1.png?raw=true

Further resources:

We love contributions of all sorts, and have just a few simple rules for those who wish to help the CKAN awesome!
NOTE: Due to the widespread move to TLS 1.2, CKAN clients older than v1.24.0 are no longer functional

Edited by politas
v1.28.0 - "Dyson" released

It's a challenge to allow for poor network connections - if you timeout early, you can handle it gracefully, but then you also mess up people with slow connections.

It's a bit of the code I haven't looked at personally, and I don't know if any of our gun coders have had a chance to examine it.

A quick announcement: If you're getting a lot of authentication/trust failures when downloading mods, that is due to Spacedock's SSL certificate being issued by a certifying authority that is rapidly becoming untrusted by the organisations you're trusting to tell you who you can trust.

On 14/01/2017 at 10:13 AM, Loren Pechtel said:

Minor bug report:  It crashes out when it can't contact it's server.  That should be handled a lot more gracefully.

Can you give some details about what you're doing when it crashes? There are at least three different situations when CKAN tries to talk to GitHub, up to two at startup, depending on whether you have "Check for new releases" or "Refresh on startup" turned on in settings. 

10 hours ago, politas said:

A quick announcement: If you're getting a lot of authentication/trust failures when downloading mods, that is due to Spacedock's SSL certificate being issued by a certifying authority that is rapidly becoming untrusted by the organisations you're trusting to tell you who you can trust.

StartSSL, I take it? Thank god I'm using Let's Encrypt. haha

Back on topic, will CKAN be adversely affected when/if said CA is done and dusted and SpaceDock doesn't change CA?

Edited by ValynEritai

7 hours ago, politas said:

Can you give some details about what you're doing when it crashes? There are at least three different situations when CKAN tries to talk to GitHub, up to two at startup, depending on whether you have "Check for new releases" or "Refresh on startup" turned on in settings. 

Both are turned on.  Unfortunately I looked at the stack trace enough to see it was dying because the guy on the other end wasn't answering but I didn't realize there were two such things in the code.  Unfortunately the default exception handler displays the stack trace in a non-selectable fashion. 

It also ended up trashing the database.  Please allow us to mark a mod it discovered as something that can be under CKAN control!

12 hours ago, ValynEritai said:

StartSSL, I take it? Thank god I'm using Let's Encrypt. haha

Back on topic, will CKAN be adversely affected when/if said CA is done and dusted and SpaceDock doesn't change CA?

If this stretches out much longer, I'll look into cutting the Spacedock downloads over to http. That should sort it out. Spacedock will be changing CAs eventually, @VITASjust needs to find the time to do it.

On 1/15/2017 at 7:39 PM, Jebs_SY said:

Kerbalstats has a new version 3.0.1 and the netkan for it needs an update... o/ :)

Done

So I'm so happy for backups.

Ran into this problem:

Career install, lots of mods installed.

Some mods installed were done using the 1.2.1 compatibility mode

Now I see that ModuleManager is at 2.6.5, but I have 2.6.4 installed.

Refreshed, and what is really strange is that it thinks that the installed version is 2.6.25, and latst version is 2.7.5, but it won't update it.

I have the entire install, not sure what is needed to debug this

See this image for more info:

nsaXIK9.png

54 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ran into this problem:

Career install, lots of mods installed.

Some mods installed were done using the 1.2.1 compatibility mode

Now I see that ModuleManager is at 2.6.5, but I have 2.6.4 installed.

Refreshed, and what is really strange is that it thinks that the installed version is 2.6.25, and latst version is 2.7.5, but it won't update it.

I have the entire install, not sure what is needed to debug this

Were it me, I'd do the Save as CKAN favourites, uninstall ModuleManager, refresh, restart, install from .ckan trick

Very scary, but I didn't think about the Save As.

When I did the install from .ckan, it first uninstalled everything that depended on MM, and only installed MM, so I had to do that a 2nd time.

Might be an idea to put ths in the wiki?

What I'm puzzled about is why it wasn't updating MM, even though it saw that there was a later version

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Very scary, but I didn't think about the Save As.

When I did the install from .ckan, it first uninstalled everything that depended on MM, and only installed MM, so I had to do that a 2nd time.

Might be an idea to put ths in the wiki?

What I'm puzzled about is why it wasn't updating MM, even though it saw that there was a later version

The Uninstall ModuleManager step should have uninstalled everything that depended on it, so that's weird. I should do a Wiki page on this procedure with pictures. It really is so much easier and quicker than people expect.

41 minutes ago, politas said:

The Uninstall ModuleManager step should have uninstalled everything that depended on it, so that's weird. I should do a Wiki page on this procedure with pictures. It really is so much easier and quicker than people expect.

That's kind of what I was expecting.

I still have the directory backed up, so let me know if you'd like me to sent you anything from it (or the whole thing)

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not a good idea, unless you mean local control.  

I'm talking about allowing CKAN to mess with the files.  I'm not saying in general--I think it's a good safety precaution.  It's just it should have an override.  Point at a mod and tell CKAN to update anyway, overwrite if needed.

Just now, Loren Pechtel said:

I'm talking about allowing CKAN to mess with the files.  I'm not saying in general--I think it's a good safety precaution.  It's just it should have an override.  Point at a mod and tell CKAN to update anyway, overwrite if needed.

And how is CKAN supposed to know how to update a mod which hasn't been registered in CKAN?

2 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Exactly. 

To uninstall ModuleManager so I can have CKAN install it would cause CKAN to dump about 20 mods that I would have to then install.

If you look a little further up the thread, I just outlined a procedure that makes that quite easy to do. Save as favourites, uninstall everything, close CKAN, delete ModuleManager, open CKAN, refresh, close and restart CKAN, install from .ckan 

19 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Exactly. 

To uninstall ModuleManager so I can have CKAN install it would cause CKAN to dump about 20 mods that I would have to then install.

What @politas said.  I had the problem.

Specifically, the following is exactly what I did this morning.  I would recommend backing up the KSP directory first:

1. Start CKAN
  2. File->Export Installed Mods... (save to a known location)
  3. Uninstall ModuleManager (most likely will NOT uninstall the other mods at this time)
  4. Exit CKAN
  5. Start CKAN
  6. Refresh
  7. File->Install from .ckan... (select the file you saved earlier.  Will most likely uninstall all the other mods which depend on MM now)
  8. File->Install from .ckan... (again, select the same file you saved earlier, will reinstall all missing mods)