Your PROUDEST moment in KSP

imkrazy

41 minutes ago, pandaman said:

My first Mun 'landing' (and subsequent rescue) was an awesome feeling.

When I did my first (unmanned) Mun landing, I didn't really know what I was doing. I run out of fuel and hit the ground at 45m/s. Some parts exploded, but the probe was still operational. I proudly called it a "landing".

59 minutes ago, s_gamer101 said:

When I did my first (unmanned) Mun landing, I didn't really know what I was doing. I run out of fuel and hit the ground at 45m/s. Some parts exploded, but the probe was still operational. I proudly called it a "landing".

For mine the lander was tall and thin, so it tipped over.   Jeb had to wait for ages until I got another ship safely down, and close enough, for him to hitch a ride home.

16 hours ago, Soyuzturtle said:

Can anyone relate to having to use one of Scott Manley's tutorials for their first docking?

I know a lot of people watched his videos and got into KSP afterward, so probably a good percentage of the player base learned rendezvous and docking from Mr. Manley. (I don't happen to be one of them, I came to KSP already knowing the mechanics of both from Orbiter 2010 and a dozen space games before it)

As for my proudest moment? Probably the establishment of a full six satellite Com Relay network and mapping constellation over the Mun... from a single launch vehicle. The 1st stage was reminiscent of an Atlas V with a payload of two trinary sets of satellites, one with heavy Com Relay gear set to go into Munar equatorial orbit and the other with lighter relay gear and a full biome and altimetry mapping suite for going into polar orbit. The equatorial set was mounted to a tricoupler at the top of the 2nd stage, with a pylon up the middle of those three satellites to a 3rd stage with another tricoupler with the polar satellites mounted to it. After TMI (Trans Munar Injection) the 3rd stage separated and made a course correction burn to put it right over the north pole of the Mun, while the 2nd stage continued on a trajectory to enter equatorial orbit. When the 3rd stage reached the right altitude over the Mun, I retro-burned for a 2-3 synchronous orbit of my target orbit. Then quickly switched to the second stage and repeat, putting it in a 2-3 synchronous orbit over the equator. As soon as each reached apogee, they released their 1st satellites, which burned to circularize. Then, one orbit later, released the 2nd, and after the third orbit I released the last.

The icing on the cake was that after the satellites were placed around the Mun, I used the last of the ∆V in the 2nd and 3rd stages to send them back to Kerbin, using a deployable heat shield and chutes to recover the entire launch vehicle, the 1st stage having been recovered after TMI...

...and I did it all without using a quicksave once. Three satellites in perfect equilateral triangle formation offset exactly one sixth of an orbit from three other satellites in a perfect equilateral triangle, 90° off axis... all in one shot and with nothing wasted except fuel and a shroud. That was my proudest moment! (no pictures though... lost the whole thing with a HD crash :^/ )

Either that or the time, back in 1.0.5 when I re-created all of Project Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, and Skylab using FASA parts playing in Science Mode. I even had a full roster of crew with specific Kerbals standing in for each of the real life astronauts. (Jeb was Sheppard, Elzer was Lovell, Hudfal was McDivitt, etc.) The only thing I didn't replicate were the accidents (Apollo 1, Apollo 13, Skylab's damage, etc.) or the cut missions. (Apollos 18, 19, and 20 were flown)

I know... I'm a complete nut! :wacko:

Edited by RobertaME
Speeling :^)

last year when i managed to launch a massive ship into orbit, refueled it (not all the way), and then went to Duna, orbited Ike, refueled a smaller ship (the massive ship was 147m long), went into low Duna orbit, the smaller ship landed on Duna, then Ike, then low duna orbit, both left to go to Eve, and i about got to gilly with only 1km/s to spare, without refueling once since leaving Kerbin

and then i proceeded to dock the two ships and land the small ship with the massive ship on top, on Gilly, and refueled the thing

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am relatively new to the game so you can imagine my proudest moment so far is something that Mission Control would shame. My proudest moment would be launching a crew cabin and a fuel tank with an engine with two shuttles and then using RCS and docking ports to connect them. This was also known as my first space station,  Science Orbiter I (Not very creative I know but it's still a proud moment)

On 8/25/2020 at 9:03 AM, Kerminator1000 said:

Launching for the first time... just kidding

It was when I landed on the Mun after spending 5 hours trying to get there, land, and not fall over.  Returning ended up being the second hardest part, after landing.

P6FcqhQ.png

The one thing i wasn't prepared for on my journey to the Mun. Bringing Jeb and Paul (Scientist) Home!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.