SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 minute ago, DAL59 said:

I just just checked in on starship news after several days, how did a mere 50 mph wind blow it over?  Isn't this supposed to withstand max-q?

Max Q is more shockwaves along the rocket than being blown off course.

Plus, the tanks, engines and avionics havent been added, so it isnt heavy, and the CoM is high.

12 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

I just just checked in on starship news after several days, how did a mere 50 mph wind blow it over?  Isn't this supposed to withstand max-q?

This is a flying bedstead.

Like the original Grasshopper:

spacexgrasshopper.png

It is never going anywhere near Max Q. It's going to hover around, translate, and land. They can then try engine out scenarios, and any other stuff where they want to mess with something cheap, and disposable.

Musk made it look cool---just to make it look cool. I bet all the testing they actually want to do could be done sans the nose cone, it's for looks.

22 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

But the orbital prototype should totally be able to handle max Q sideways with brakerons.

when it is fully attached, they were still putting bulkheads inside, so it probably wasn't welded on, just left to rest, maybe some screws

4 hours ago, tater said:

I'm sure there's a joke about deflated male egos and/or <<a certain blue pill>> in here somewhere.

3 hours ago, DAL59 said:

It blew over because it wasn't tied down.

They had it tied to some weights. Not to anything actually fixed. REALLY stupid.

Edited by sevenperforce

6 hours ago, DDE said:

Just go take a look at the Trotskyist hellhole that is by now r/EnoughMuskSpam.

Since I could arguably be described as a Trotskyist, I took a look, and the answer is, “LOL, not even.”

He’s mentally unstable at best, and his business practices are in large part unsustainable. I could psychoanalize why a bunch of people choose to metaphorically fellate him all the time, but the results would be unprintable.

1 hour ago, FleshJeb said:

Since I could arguably be described as a Trotskyist, I took a look, and the answer is, “LOL, not even.”

He’s mentally unstable at best, and his business practices are in large part unsustainable. I could psychoanalize why a bunch of people choose to metaphorically fellate him all the time, but the results would be unprintable.

Opinion of Musk aside, what I don't understand about things like r/EnoughMuskSpam is why people would seek out something so unpleasant to them. There are plenty of people I dislike, but I don't want to look at examples of people talking about how great they are, even in the context of laughing at them.

46 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Opinion of Musk aside, what I don't understand about things like r/EnoughMuskSpam is why people would seek out something so unpleasant to them. There are plenty of people I dislike, but I don't want to look at examples of people talking about how great they are, even in the context of laughing at them.

Usually it’s for the community. Misery loves company, as does covetousness - and the desire to exterminate every person with a net worth of above 10 mil., which is something you see Reddit’s radical underbelly call for on a frequent basis.

Plus, you can hook people up to the respective Discord and organize brigades against rival subs. But I’m sure they’d never do that.

3 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

I guess somebody has a plan to take over spaceX and its technologies once he got wrecked. Might be Shotwell, might be USAF, might be BO, might be NASA.

Definitely NOT china and russia.

14 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

I guess somebody has a plan to take over spaceX and its technologies once he got wrecked. Might be Shotwell, might be USAF, might be BO, might be NASA.

Doubt it. He seems to be a source of his own PR problems for the most part; I can definitely see how he can cause people to hate him, his personality seems smug and abrasive. It’s just I’m casting stones in a pressurized dome on Mars on this matter.

Combine this with people who have a penchant for hating rich people (or even better) in general - until those rich people suddenly make a symbolic gesture in favour of their politics - and you have a pretty sizeable base of (pardon the juvenile term) haters with a disproportionate access to the media.

I honestly don’t see the dreaded oil company conspiracy with armies of ULA snipers.

Edited by DDE

9 minutes ago, DDE said:

I honestly don’t see the dreaded oil company conspiracy with armies of ULA snipers.

Don't you see? High winds at Boca Chica were a ULA climate weapon test.

11 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

They sent a spy to untie the weights.

Jokes aside, do you think the non ablative heat shield/meteoroid shield will work?

And i have seen sources where elon estimates the heat at 1750K. How do they do it?

34 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Jokes aside, do you think the non ablative heat shield/meteoroid shield will work?

It’s the micrometeoroid part that worries me. Except for the Shuttle and its sandwich, and the ancient low-endurance capsules, most spacecraft hide their heat shields.

47 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Oh, that’s what you’re HAARPing on...

Up yours, then.

http://www.thelibertybeacon.com/catastrophic-hurricane-harvey-confirmed-as-russian-weather-weapon-retaliation-attack/

BTW, those guys are genuinely good at cherry-picking their references to weave their narrative around the “anonymous sauce”.

Edited by DDE

6 minutes ago, DDE said:

It’s the micrometeoroid part that worries me. Except for the Shuttle and its sandwich, and the ancient low-endurance capsules, most spacecraft hide their heat shields.

Oh, that’s what you’re HAARPing on...

An hole in the tank or the cooling system would be bad but also be something you notice before decent. Not sure how well steel handle impacts at orbital speed.  

Still counts as a potential failure mode. Plus you’d still need some pretty extreme robot arms,  or an EMU rocketpack.

19 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

With cold welding.

Not necessarily cold.

It’s actually the one place Roscosmos could have chipped in with their old EVA electron beam welder experiments.

14 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Elon comes in with his flamethrowers.

But can flamethrowers into vacuum? Or did the propulsion engineer that now designs slender nuclear SSTOs (“nuclear turborockets”) chip in with his gas-gas combustion expertise?

4 minutes ago, DDE said:

But can flamethrowers into vacuum? Or did the propulsion engineer that now designs slender nuclear SSTOs (“nuclear turborockets”) chip in with his gas-gas combustion expertise?

Elon comes in with his second-generation "fire breather" not-flanethrowers. Can run on methane/GOX, TEATAB/GOX, N2O4/UDMH, or practically any rocket fuel. He also designs a jetpack and spacesuit that runs on these fuels.

Shotwell comes in with a sandpaper and a hammer. For cold welding. Sandpaper removes oxide layer, hammer to apply pressure.

Edited by Xd the great

37 minutes ago, DDE said:

Still counts as a potential failure mode. Plus you’d still need some pretty extreme robot arms,  or an EMU rocketpack.

310 Steel is still mildly magnetic. An aft-cargo welding rover with magnetic wheels should be standard equipment.