SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, darthgently said:

That top stage looks very Von Braun

It would be very interesting to know if Soviet space artists took notes on what their Western counterparts were doing, or if they both read Jules Verne as kids and ended up following the same (convergent) evolutionary path.

3 hours ago, darthgently said:

That top stage looks very Von Braun

Maybe. Or they were reading same sci-fi books.

50 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

It would be very interesting to know if Soviet space artists took notes on what their Western counterparts were doing, or if they both read Jules Verne as kids and ended up following the same (convergent) evolutionary path.

I guess, the early XX style was common. Also, Western movies were shown in cinema.

What is strange on this picture is that the tower arms are retracted, but the bridge is still extended, and the human on the bridge is waving with hands.

Something went wrong?

SpaceX, check it just in case.

Glad to see that the prop-transfer test was a success-

*double-take*

*searches* Ah! I see hot-gas thrusters are still/back on the menu. I'd hoped for this, if only for the coolness factor.

Edit: You know, if this is pulled off first time, we essentially have a functional launch system. Sure, it's far, far too heavy for reusable mode, but expendable would be well within reach.

Edited by AckSed

8 hours ago, DAL59 said:

GMGaShyWcAACHBa?format=jpg&name=large

GMGaShsWkAATDdx?format=jpg&name=large

I wonder if they will do what I ended up settling on for rendezvous in KSP/kOS; orient the target craft either normal or anti normal so its attitude remains constant in orbit, ha ha (without constant adjustments)

Edited by darthgently

6 hours ago, tater said:

Booster catch attempt this year... I really really hope (and I hope they hope) they get it right the first time, otherwise mayhem's gonna ensue when Superheavy smacks into the chopsticks too fast, and the launch stand, and the deluge system...

Fingers crossed.

12 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

Booster catch attempt this year... I really really hope (and I hope they hope) they get it right the first time, otherwise mayhem's gonna ensue when Superheavy smacks into the chopsticks too fast, and the launch stand, and the deluge system...

Fingers crossed.

Hopefully the water landing test is enough to prevent any of those issues happening at the tower.

18 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

Fingers crossed.

I've heard it's going to be guiding itself in from the side. Chopsticks will be facing away from vital equipment to minimize the risk. But it's certainly going to be interesting, worst case scenario we'll gat an especially spectacular crash.

22 hours ago, magnemoe said:

I would want two as one might be an happy accident, its also ways to negate an crash next to the tower, 

One might also want a ground landing test, just to see what the ground effects of an incoming Superheavy booster are like.

It might be overly expensive to build a mock-up tower and mount for the test vehicle to land on too, but possibly cheaper than risking the real hardware.

29 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

One might also want a ground landing test, just to see what the ground effects of an incoming Superheavy booster are like.

It might be overly expensive to build a mock-up tower and mount for the test vehicle to land on too, but possibly cheaper than risking the real hardware.

Then hit land but don't think water and ground is very different as they are not landing, 
And I'm  pretty skeptical to starting with catching,  High risk modest payoff short term. Relevant then they have daily launches. 

2 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Pay some nation to allow a landing in a "ghost city".  Pick a challenging plaza between windswept vacant buildings

Edited by darthgently

4 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Then hit land but don't think water and ground is very different as they are not landing, 
And I'm  pretty skeptical to starting with catching,  High risk modest payoff short term. Relevant then they have daily launches. 

They said they wanted to have two consecutive good landing simulations over water before attempting it with the tower, and that seems pretty reasonable to me.

How many consecutive 'good' landings would you demand before trying it for real?