SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

45 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I wonder if they have already fit the legs under the skirt along with the engines.

DC-X certainly had a footprint smaller than its diameter, after all.

Idk what they are doing for engine configs on the final version, but even with 6 vacuum bells down there, there will be 6 holes for landing legs and/or aft cargo. I think we saw 6 leg mounts maybe?

That would also solve the heat shielding problem.

They are lifting the bottom section and moving it somewhere. We haven't seen the bottom yet, I think it's been obscured by buildings, but I'd imagine if they are moving it, they are either putting it on another mount, or it has legs.

A hole has been cut out of the nose.

Pics on the NSF thread. They are vehemently against image reposting so here is the link to page 10: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=48895.180

3 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

What if the forward fins are fixed rather than moveable??

It needs both... could it be a forward strake? Ie: strake, fin thing, chine... more chine... large fin?

Didn't an older version have little leg blisters?

Making-Life-Multi-Planetary.jpg

8 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Musk did mention that the legs would be mounted such that there’s room created for an extra few engines. Definitely looks more like chines or such, seems the wrong proportion for a fin. 

That was in reference to SuperHeavy, the lower booster.

Just now, tater said:

That thing MOVES. Way faster than I would have expected.

WAY faster. I was expecting the crawler to, well, crawl.

6 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Nose cone is coming off the fairing. I wonder if that was a preliminary check to make sure it fits, and then they are going to assemble lego-style.

Makes sense. They wouldn't want to suspend the fairing by the bottom of the cone.

Either that or they are taking it off to mount the canard things.

49 minutes ago, tater said:

It needs both... could it be a forward strake? Ie: strake, fin thing, chine... more chine... large fin?

Didn't an older version have little leg blisters?

It could be a forward strake for transition between the tops of the Plasma Deflector Shields and the raceway chines, or they could be the blisters for landing leg deployment. 

What if the landing legs deploy from inside the skirt, through a hole cut in the stainless steel? This couples the legs directly to the thrust assembly while still giving a wider stance. 

3 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Alternately, what if it looks like this?

leg.png

I was thinking the same thing.

Legs look like that in at least two previous designs, so I wouldn't be surprised if they chose this to be the final thing.

Edited by Wjolcz