KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

well then... 1.0.3 is out, and KSP-I-E is.. pretty broken I think. I loaded up a craft I made with 1.0.2 and noticed immediately that the framerate was at about 5, which I thought weird until I right clicked a part and saw that it says "Rad Hardness: X.XX" about 80 times (too many to fit on the screen), which I think is the issue.. it was an AGI Computer Core that I right clicked on, which makes me believe that it's an incompatibility with Interstellar.

Also they seem to have added MORE memory leaks >< .. Start KSP, memory usage is at X. Get sidetracked and walk away leaving it at the main menu for about 20 min, come back, mem usage is at X+100. Didn't do that in 1.0.2. I get distracted a lot >< - that's obviously not relevant to Interstellar, but it's nonetheless noteworthy.

Also - @nobodyhasthis - the magnetic nozzles are useless in atmosphere. Try them in vacuum, they work pretty well. I usually build my engines as fuel tank -> charged particle generator -> antimatter reactor -> engine (where engine is magnetic nozzle, thermal rocket, or thermal turbojet). They work that way. Unless you want to use them in an atmosphere, in which case they do not :)

There is no data to support this in the wiki. How much is "pretty well"?

What happens when you change the other parts configuration, where is the data, instructions or diagram ?

All that said and done. I think is this now a minor point in light of the Rad Harness problem breaking the game. It is very early after 1.0.3 but you could be on to something here.

Edited by nobodyhasthis

Freethinker, I'm still kinda waiting for a response about the reactor power outputs, which still behave (partially) as if the claimed "megawatts" are actually gigawatts. It leads to some pretty inconsistent behavior, and if it actually were megawatts, it would make all the thermal and magnetic nozzles woefully underpowered. If nothing else, I'd like a way to change it back to how it was.

You see megawatts because you're playing with NFT electrical. Megawatts are there to preserve usefullness of NF reactors. It's not very realistic, but done to preserve smoother gameplay.

Actual multipliers are 0.002 and 500. You can try to delete USI_NF_Mode.cfg from Patches folder of WarpPlugin. It is what changes from gigawatts to megawatts. But it will make NF reactors quite useless/inefficient compared to KSPI.

Is there any way to prevent thermal engines from using specific reactors? For example I want two reactors: one with high core temperature for great isp and vacuum operations and one with high power for atmospheric operations. (In my test vehicle they are gas core and particle ped respectively). The problem with this setup with new ability to place engines anywhere is that my thermal turbojet which is connected to particle bed completly ignores it and tries to use gas core instead.

I tried parts with no crossfeed, but KSPI power doesn't respect it...

The magnetic nozzles when coupled with an antimatter reactor and charged particle generator were giving me multiple G worth of acceleration and fairly high dV numbers. In vacuum. I used Extraplanetary Launchpads to build the ship in orbit. Surface TWR in Kerbin's atmosphere was way too low to lift off unassisted, however. But that's how they're supposed to work, at least the right click menu says "not suitable for atmospheres" or something like that.

I have the latest version of Kerbal space program.. I decided to add interstellar and as soon as I did I had to uninstall it because it made the game unusable when it building mode as soon as you click on an engine it would be firing and nothing would work so I did a little testing and went into war plug and I removed two ( tweak and the bitton one] and it worked again.. if I install both from site it still works but no reactor engine sounds...

Great job! Now I hope to have a save lasting more than a couple of days max and finally enjoy Interstellar Extended.

EDIT: I just noticed, you've already upgraded for the next KSP version? ;-)

Edited by Nansuchao

Is the fission reactor not supposed to scale up above 1.8 something? Trying it when noticed the thermal nozzle and generator scaled up 2.5+ but the reactor wouldn't even go up to 2.5. Not sure if it is intentional or an oopsie

EDIT: Nevermind, was an unlock tech requirement I missed. oopsie on me :)

Edited by JeffreyCor

I was going to post about "huh, lots of mods I see have updated, but not yet on CKAN" and then I thought, "I'm gonna wait. For all I know there could be a 1.0.5 tomorrow..." :) Can't wait to get back in though, I have some ideas for my Cow interplanetary transfer vehicle to improve it. Basically it's 2 huge interstellar tanks full of liquid CO2 (that seems to be my fuel of choice lately since it doesn't build up soot and isn't too heavy.. anyone recommend a better one?) ... a 3.75m alcubierre drive in between, a 3.75m charged particle generator, 3.75m antimatter reactor, a 3.5m thermal turbojet.. then 4 radially attached 2.5m tanks with air intakes, antimatter tanks, a 2.5m antimatter reactor (each pod) and a 2.5m thermal turbojet (each pod). Docking port and an AGI core at the very top.. I use it for launching things and dropping them off in orbit around other planets. It has parachutes and airbrakes too, so I can land it back on Kerbin (actually I could just do a powered landing).. Thanks for the quick update on the mod though, Freethinker; as you can tell this is one of my most important mods :)

AIM reactor shows wrong power output:

At 20% - 2.4GW thermal - https://i.imgur.com/sM4xl4i.jpg

At 100% - still shows 2.4GW thermal, but generates more - https://i.imgur.com/b3HLIwn.png

Looks like your charged particle power has gone up, but the thermal power is constant. Is that realistic? Who knows, but it looks like your percentages are at least somewhat consistent with your power outputs.

- - - Updated - - -

You see megawatts because you're playing with NFT electrical. Megawatts are there to preserve usefullness of NF reactors. It's not very realistic, but done to preserve smoother gameplay.

Actual multipliers are 0.002 and 500. You can try to delete USI_NF_Mode.cfg from Patches folder of WarpPlugin. It is what changes from gigawatts to megawatts. But it will make NF reactors quite useless/inefficient compared to KSPI.

Aha! thanks for that.

I don't really care if the NFE reactors are low-power compared to KSPI; they're lower tech and I'm mainly using the mod for its other stuff. I'm glad that's just an MM patch and not something hardcoded. :confused:

Version 1.1.16 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2

Released on 2015-06-04

• Fixed overheating Thermal nozzle/turbojet caused by reduced maximum part temperature overridden by Deadly Reentry
  • Fixed loading Microwave Dish receiver and Thermal Microwave receiver
  • Fixed Small Fusion Engine power stability
  • Fixed Reactor Waste-heat stability

So, was this the only problem that Interstellar Extended had with Deadly Reentry, or is there still something causing friction between the two mods? Can't seem to find anything else in the thread about it, and both mods are on my essential list.

Thanks.

So, was this the only problem that Interstellar Extended had with Deadly Reentry, or is there still something causing friction between the two mods? Can't seem to find anything else in the thread about it, and both mods are on my essential list.

Thanks.

I still have to edit the TTJ and TR engines and set the max temp to 8000 to make them perform properly with DRE. It still shows 2750 in the right click in game, but setting it to 8000 in the part config makes it overheat about like it does without DRE installed. Waiting for the CKAN updates for this and about 25 other mods... I have too many mods to deal with them all by hand lol. But I can wait, I know there are other priorities.

This never seemed to get an answer, might I second it?

Can't seem to make head nor tail of the refineries.

KSPI is a huge mod and you cannot expect Freethinker who caught the falling banner of supporting it to handle everything at once.

@Freethinker, thank you for your work! I can perfectly understand the immensity of the task you are doing so we are going to wait as long as it takes.

Still, proper documentation/manual might help both you and us to get things right sooner.

Does the thermal turbojet have issues with overheating? I'm using a 1,25m omega fusion with a 1,25m TTJ. Temperature in atmospheric mode is 15K. The engine explodes within seconds while using any of the other fuel types. Waste heat is at 260.

Looks like thermal generator has something wrong with its tweakscale components. Larger generator can convert less thermal power than smaller ones (2.5 can use about 8.16MW*500=4.08GW and 3.75 only 6.34MW*500=3.17GW).

Edited: Suppose that this problem comes from integration with NFT.

My bad, forgot about mismatching radiuses. I did not think it matters for generators...

Edited by Khalkion

The heating issue that I overcame with DRE is now present with the stock heat model (it's similar to DRE apparently, so not a big surprise). Very hard to keep the TTJ and TR from exploding now. My fix for changing maxheat from 2750 to 8000 in the part config does NOT work with stock heating (DRE is currently not working in 1.0.4). It still says 2750 (why?) and you have to be very careful to not overheat esp. once you switch from Atmospheric to an internally-carried fuel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.