KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

So... installed the update.. have the latest tweakscale.. everything's in there. If I use a 1.25m thermal turbojet however, the engine overheats and explodes in literally less than 3 seconds as soon as I switch it from Atmospheric to.. anything else. Just spikes and explodes almost right away. Am I doing something wrong? the larger versions are better, the 3.75m one being the only real "usable" size for it. Or is that intended?

@ss8913 : I looked up the USI Kolonization pack - it's not the one i was talking about. The two mods that i combined are the KSP Interstellar Extended mod of this thread and the Civilian Population mod (see https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/620/Civilian%20Population ). Or what do you mean?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I'm ashamed to say but just hadn't upgraded the Tracking Station yet :sticktongue: ...then it worked

So... installed the update.. have the latest tweakscale.. everything's in there. If I use a 1.25m thermal turbojet however, the engine overheats and explodes in literally less than 3 seconds as soon as I switch it from Atmospheric to.. anything else. Just spikes and explodes almost right away. Am I doing something wrong? the larger versions are better, the 3.75m one being the only real "usable" size for it. Or is that intended?

What reactor and propellant are you using?

FreeThinker, is there a way you could make it so that the microwave transmitter will send any power made and not just KSPI reactors and solar power?

It's on my todo list. the main problem is that it's difficult to determine how much power is produced.

I have thought about this... well because I have way to much thinking time at work... load the part, hit the green button, unload the part.... repeat... repeat... repeat... look at the clock, figure out how much time i have left.... load the part...

Maybe the best course of action about this. would be more on the lines of a settable rate. like setting the rate on the device on the ship, of how much energy it will send.

does that make sense?

proposal for naive model for solar energy for transmittal:

assuming in an orbit around the sun:

1) ALT = average orbital altitude to kerbol

2) EC_FLOW = sum of max EC flow per solar panel at ALT from kerbol

3) S_TORQUE_EC = total EC/s of reaction wheels at full power

4) EC to transmit per second = EC_FLOW - S_TORQUE_EC

this way, it kind-of simulates EC use to maintain proper orientation to kerbol using reaction wheels. maybe also have a penalty for 'insufficient torque'. all of the numbers are constant while not focused on the vessel, so the EC to transmit per second only has to be determined once, and then could be stored in the microwave transmitter module on that vessel, so the marginal computing load should be low.

proposal for naive model for solar energy for transmittal:

assuming in an orbit around the sun:

1) ALT = average orbital altitude to kerbol

2) EC_FLOW = sum of max EC flow per solar panel at ALT from kerbol

3) S_TORQUE_EC = total EC/s of reaction wheels at full power

4) EC to transmit per second = EC_FLOW - S_TORQUE_EC

this way, it kind-of simulates EC use to maintain proper orientation to kerbol using reaction wheels. maybe also have a penalty for 'insufficient torque'. all of the numbers are constant while not focused on the vessel, so the EC to transmit per second only has to be determined once, and then could be stored in the microwave transmitter module on that vessel, so the marginal computing load should be low.

S_TORQUE_EC is kind of insignificant if your purpose is to transmit power produced from solar activity. But your idea of average power makes some sence as right now, you can send one part of the orbit almost into the sun, which can be abused by activating power transmission while at it's lowest point. As currently the last recorded uplink power is used.

Now I need a math question answered. How to calculate the average distance of an elecptic orbit?

Edited by FreeThinker

Is there a way to make the start with the reactors on shutdown mode? I want to activate them later on orbit.

No, you would have to shut the reactor down as soon as you start on the launch pad. For fusion reactors, this shouldn't be a problem but for fission reactors it can be as the shut down precedure requires a long time to cool down. I will look if I can add a button in the VAB which allows you to start the reactor unstarted. Something like this already exisits but is not under a button which can be activated by the user.

Edited by FreeThinker

No, you would have to shut the reactor down as soon as you start on the launch pad. For fusion reactors, this shouldn't be a problem but for fission reactors it can be as the shut down precedure requires a long time to cool down. I will look if I can add a button in the VAB which allows you to start the reactor unstarted. Something like this already exisits but is not under a button which can be activated by the user.

It would be really nice if there was a button in VAB. If it already exists, how can I make it? Do I have to edit the .craft or any cfg? Thanks

A better answer would be yes. There is documentation. Although it is a work in progress. The main introduction page can be found at https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki . Some important information about refineries is found on this page of the Wiki. https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki/Isru-Refinery

Although not yet complete it can start you off in the right direction. Hope that helps.

Yeah I was aware of that, but its all rather outdated as it refers to the original KSP-I

I have decided to take the bull by the horns myself and try and work it all out myself and hopefully redo that resource diagram.

A few things I have noticed during the process

- Where is Hydrogen Peroxide? It's a resource / product of a number of the reactions but I can seem to find a tank to hold the stuff. Its possible that its my career game and I haven't unlocked the tank yet but that seems unlikely. I will check in sandbox.

- KSP-I-E's resource system does not mesh with the stock which is ok but a little irritating, a few suggestions?

1) Simplest thing would be to add KSP-I-E resource extraction to the stock drills, I think it would be especially good to allow the drill to extract water from land at a much higher efficiency that the refinery alone. This should be pretty easy . . . I may even do it myself.

2) More complicated would be to fit the resources extractable by the KSP stock system into the KSP-I-E resource system.

"Monopropellant" is almost certainly Hydrazine

"Oxidiser" is almost certainly Liquid Oxygen

Original KSP-I decided that "Liquid Fuel" was liquid Hydrogen but this is debatable it could be kerosene for example.

I'll keep working on an update to the Wiki.

- Where is Hydrogen Peroxide? It's a resource / product of a number of the reactions but I can seem to find a tank to hold the stuff. Its possible that its my career game and I haven't unlocked the tank yet but that seems unlikely. I will check in sandbox.

It's an overwatch . I will add it to all the Interstellar Fuel Tanks.

Edited by FreeThinker

Same problems here. Using thermal turbojet, omega fusion, direct conversion generator, all 1,25m.

Same problems here. Using thermal turbojet, omega fusion, direct conversion generator, all 1,25m.

I think I see the problem. The heating of the Thermal Turbojet should be 100, it is still 500. This will cause it to overheat too fast. I will add a better fix this evening.

S_TORQUE_EC is kind of insignificant if your purpose is to transmit power produced from solar activity. But your idea of average power makes some sence as right now, you can send one part of the orbit almost into the sun, which can be abused by activating power transmission while at it's lowest point. As currently the last recorded uplink power is used.

Now I need a math question answered. How to calculate the average distance of an elecptic orbit?

Well, that's convenient. I just looked into that, and apparently, that is the very thing the semi-major axis is! It is measured from the center of the Orbited body, so the average altitude above the sun is the semi-major axis less the radius of the sun.

I seem to be having a problem with the Uranium Nitride Tanks. I have placed them radially on a Particle Bed Reactor, but the reactor does not seem to drain the tanks, even when the crossfeed button for the tank is on.

[h=2]Version 1.2.2 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4[/h] Released on 2015-06-29

• Thermal Nozzle/ Thermal Turbojet overheating behavior restored and improved
  • Added Hydrogen Peroxide resource to smaller Interstellar Fuel Tanks

OK so be careful; if you use CKAN, something is broken in CKAN and it sees 1.2.1 as an update to 1.2.2 if you have 1.2.2 installed manually. Just noticed that and caught it before it could revert me back to 1.2.1.. phew :)

OK so be careful; if you use CKAN, something is broken in CKAN and it sees 1.2.1 as an update to 1.2.2 if you have 1.2.2 installed manually. Just noticed that and caught it before it could revert me back to 1.2.1.. phew :)

Does not seem to be the case now.

Version 1.2.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4

Released on 2015-06-30

• Added ability to disable/enable reactor in VAB
  • Added Interstellar Radiator support for Stock Radiators (thanks to blackice504)

Are you saying that now the Interstellar Radiator will pump away also stock heating?

Opposite. He added the KSP radiator module to the stock radiator parts using MM

- - - Updated - - -

I have a MM patch onot kerbal stuff for adding the stock radiator stuff to KSP radiator

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.