KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

For the life of me, I can't get nuclear fuel reprocessing to work. It just says "no target". I was trying to do it on the same reactor that powers the ISRU. Can anyone help?

I have the same problem, and discussed it earlier in the thread. I recommend landing your reactors to get the money back until Fractal fixes reprocessing. Any ideas if the other ISRU modes work? I have my KSPI-E save on hold for the moment.

Alright, let's get to the bottom of this. Exactly how did you acquire these number? What does you test vessel consist of? Perhaps something isn't working as it is supposed to work. Atmosphere as a propellant in ATILLA is supposed to have an electric power efficiency of 0.5 * 0.87 * 100 = 43.5%

just normal magnetic containment reactor plane:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0rgcOJPK_8XcEg4Zy1FdnlIVEk/view?usp=sharing

(2 fly with ATTILA, 1 with turbojet)

, may be problem is NFT presence,

how much static (0m/s) thrust gives your ATTILA(i mean with your environment/mods) with magnetic containment reactor + direct conversion generator,

and the same with turbojet?

I have the same problem, and discussed it earlier in the thread. I recommend landing your reactors to get the money back until Fractal fixes reprocessing. Any ideas if the other ISRU modes work? I have my KSPI-E save on hold for the moment.

It would be nice if Fractal would show up, but he hasn't shown any sign of life for the past year, so I guess I will have to fix it. So exactly what did you do to get this result. Specifically what reactor did you try to reprocess?

Edited by FreeThinker

It would be nice if Fractal would show up, but he hasn't shown any sign of life for the past year, so I guess I will have to fix it. So exactly what did you do to get this result. Specifically what reactor did you try to reprocess?

I have a ship with two reactors (Gas core), two thermal generators, and one 2.5m ISRU Refinery.

I turned one reactor off and waited for the status to read "offline". However, when I open the refinery window, there are no options and the refinery says "Status: Offline". At one point I got the refinery window, but, like the other guy I'm quoting, the buttons do nothing. Specifically, I'm trying to reprocess/remove the actinides that clog the gas core reactors.

I have a ship with two reactors (Gas core), two thermal generators, and one 2.5m ISRU Refinery.

I turned one reactor off and waited for the status to read "offline". However, when I open the refinery window, there are no options and the refinery says "Status: Offline". At one point I got the refinery window, but, like the other guy I'm quoting, the buttons do nothing. Specifically, I'm trying to reprocess/remove the actinides that clog the gas core reactors.

have same problem too,

i have to add that manual refuel (EVA kerbal) with Gas core reactor also don't work (at least in case if you have less fuel than for full reactor),

however scientific lab (with 2 staff members) do reprocess even with online reactor (remove actinides and add fuel back, which looks like hack).

The problem is that the fuel the Gas Core Reactor uses (EnrichedUranium) which can't be reprocessed. Like with the salt core reactor, I need to change it back to Uranium Floride. The reason I used EnrichedUranium was I tried to use the same nuclear fuels other mods used but this turned out to be a huge mistake as EnrichedUranium doesn't flow, is denser and much more expansive.

Edited by FreeThinker

The problem is that the fuel the Gas Core Reactor uses (EnrichedUranium) which can't be reprocessed. Like with the salt core reactor, I need to change it back to Uranium Floride. The reason I used EnrichedUranium was I tried to use the same nuclear fuels other mods used but this turned out to be a huge mistake as EnrichedUranium doesn't flow, is denser and much more expansive.

Yeah, enriching uranium ISRU is nearly impossible, Un-enriched Uranium Hexafloride would have only a .73% u-235 but that is enough to work in modern reactors, and can breed in a fast neutron scenario to make plutonium in theory. (In reality the fast breeder they made here melted down, and people say it nearly took out my part of michigan)

If you wanted compatibility with other mods though in a sense you CAN IN THEORY enrich Uranium Hexafloride. You would need a really powerful centrifuge cascade and you would get about 1/5th of the amount of Enriched uranium Hexafloride out (The other 4/5ths would be depleted Uranium Hexafloride) Then that could be converted to enriched uranium, I think it is roughtly 2/3rds of the hexafloride's weight is uranium. (92 uranium to 6*9 for the fluorine)

Edited by Profit-

The actinides make the reactor basically useless after 10 years, so why reduce the maximum fuel the reactor can hold to about 10 years worth?

It's confusing seeing that you have tons of fuel, but your reactor has seized up way earlier than you thought.

The actinides make the reactor basically useless after 10 years, so why reduce the maximum fuel the reactor can hold to about 10 years worth?

It's confusing seeing that you have tons of fuel, but your reactor has seized up way earlier than you thought.

I always thought that you use actinide-purging as a "reward" for your least productive kerbals, just send a toothbrush with them and let them scrub away ;)

I always thought that you use actinide-purging as a "reward" for your least productive kerbals, just send a toothbrush with them and let them scrub away ;)

Hahaha. I'd be willing to just accept the idea that in the future actinide removal is possible, and enable actinide reprocessing a few steps down the tech tree. That, or just eliminate the ISRU option, drop the reactor fuel down to 1/10 what it is now, and add a text blurb noting the irreversible reactor decay.

As someone who plays for fun (I'm an engineer IRL), I'm a big fan of things that self-document, so at very least there shouldn't be a button that doesn't do anything, modelling a process that is impossible in reality.

As always, great mod Freethinker, keep it up!

Got a little issue with my mega-millions space station. I built it on 10-4 from what I can tell, and it flew around, I docked some stuff to it, everything cool. I've updated KSPI, AZAB's KSPI Mk2 expansion, and the Interstellar Fuel Switch since then with pretty minor updates. But I went to dock up a plane Friday night, and this happens:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CD76E5B606E9BFBE!500889&authkey=!AGZo4CAiOTpiuxY&ithint=file%2cmp4

It just violently shakes until something breaks. I guess the radial attachment points to the science labs is the weakest point, so at least one of them has to pop off before it settles back down. I've tried time-warping a bit, not time warping, turning on and off RCS and SAS, I just don't know what to do. It's like a Kraken, but no way for me to stop it.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated. That thing took like all of my moneys to get up there.

Edited by nordicpc

...(Crop)

I've tried time-warping a bit, not time warping, turning on and off RCS and SAS, I just don't know what to do. It's like a Kraken, but no way for me to stop it.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated. That thing took like all of my moneys to get up there.

Have you tried to only have the sas-modules on that big central section active, I sometimes have issues when non-central attachments have sas online.

If you are willing to use Kerbal Attachment System I'd warmly recommend it, let's you add on struts for modular crafts like that space-station. And struts always helps deal with shaking...

Got a little issue with my mega-millions space station. I built it on 10-4 from what I can tell, and it flew around, I docked some stuff to it, everything cool. I've updated KSPI, AZAB's KSPI Mk2 expansion, and the Interstellar Fuel Switch since then with pretty minor updates. But I went to dock up a plane Friday night, and this happens:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CD76E5B606E9BFBE!500889&authkey=!AGZo4CAiOTpiuxY&ithint=file%2cmp4

It just violently shakes until something breaks. I guess the radial attachment points to the science labs is the weakest point, so at least one of them has to pop off before it settles back down. I've tried time-warping a bit, not time warping, turning on and off RCS and SAS, I just don't know what to do. It's like a Kraken, but no way for me to stop it.

I am sorry but this station is basically doomed. There is an object which is colliding and causing the nodes to go all wonkey. There is one small hope, I do not know where it is but some time ago I got a mod called Time control by xaviier. I cannot find 1.04 version of it again but I know a version exists because I use it.... If you find it, you can slow time to 1/64th speed and maybe it will work itself out. You can also TRY the joint reinforcement, but basically this station is toast because parts were clipping.

*if I had to guess I would say it is probably the antimatter gatherers clipping into the research facilities then resonating.

Edited by Profit-

I was kind of hoping that a part had been resized or something in the previous couple of patches. I've certainly had my share of ships be attacked by the Kraken in deep space, but never in a fairly low orbit. And usually I can just time-warp at 5x for a few seconds on the tracking map before going in close, but nothing seems to stop the shakes of this station. Ohh well, good thing I setup backups and can go back a few days I suppose.

Thanks everyone.

Sorry, No resizes in KSPIE for quite some time. Btw I noticed you stacked those antimatter trap rings. They are kind of floating above each other. This might cause problems

Thanks again. I'll do a bit of a redesign and re-launch. Luckily I don't have much time in the past couple weeks, so it won't be too painful.

Cheers!

One intresting thing about this bug is that only part of your station was destroyed. I heard that mods that strengten connection/stiffen (like Kerbal Joint Reinforcement), could have this effect.

I don't have any of those mods installed. Really, only 676 patches on load, which isn't too bad. It's all either Interstellar and the MK2 Expansion for it and all of the required mods for those. I have considered using something like that because any plane I build in MK3 is going to fall apart, but the Mk2 stuff works well enough for what I need.

I was once able to hit RCS and SAS and give it a little nudge rotationally, and while it shook the whole station like crazy, I only lost one of the science arms. It settled back down after that. I've considered just trying to go with 2 arms, but it's not worth the potential issues down the road I suppose.

Hello. Just installed this yesterday, but I've been trying to wrap my head around it for a week now. Thanks for taking on this incredibly complex task! I feel like I just started playing an entirely different game.

I've built my first test craft with a NERVA and about 10k dV worth of hydrogen and 5T+ worth of radiators, got it into orbit, pointed it prograde, then blasted full throttle just to see the engine effects, and WOW! It burned up all of that fuel in about 5-10 seconds, the thrust was in the thousands and increasing (last I saw somewhere in the 20k range), and the torque threw it all over the place, but ultimately it grazed the atmosphere, and everything overheated instantly and exploded.

At first I thought this might be how it was supposed to work... but when I couldn't keep to ship pointed in any direction long enough to burn through a node (even at 0.5% thrust), I knew something had to be off.

So I tracked it down to the fact that I have Near Future Electrical installed, which activates this patch in USI_NF_Mode.cfg

//***** Thermal Noozles *****
@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ThermalNozzleController]]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical|SETI]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
@MODULE[ThermalNozzleController]
{
@powerTrustMultiplier *= 500
%wasteHeatMultiplier = 0.002
}
}

Looking at ModuleManager.ConfigCache, there are 10 instances where this was applied, and all of them have powerTrustMultiplier >= 500. Is this patch only supposed to be applied to the ThermalRocketNozzle part when using a NFE reactor?

You are, correct something is missing, to be exact, the following MM code is missing , which will be added next patch (you can add it yourself as well )

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarFissionNTR]]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical|SETI]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
@MODULE[InterstellarFissionNTR]
{
@PowerOutput *= 0.002
@upgradedPowerOutput *= 0.002
@neutronEmbrittlementDivider *= 0.002
%fuelUsePerMJMult = 500
%wasteHeatMultiplier = 0.002
}
}

this code ensure these engine perform as they should and not 500x as strong.

Edited by FreeThinker

FreeThinker, there's a trouble with one of your tech tree patches: a node for tech "Command Modules" looks buggy and has at least one of its parents missing. Tried KSPI without any other custom tech trees installed. A screenshot may be found at this page in post #13 (the tech tree is partially cloaked by Fog Of Tech there, the bug is that void green node)

Edited by Ser

FreeThinker, there's a trouble with one of your tech tree patches: a node for tech "Command Modules" looks buggy and has at least one of its parents missing. Tried KSPI without any other custom tech trees installed. A screenshot may be found at this page in post #13 (the tech tree is partially cloaked by Fog Of Tech there, the bug is that void green node)

Thanks. I wasn't aware this was caused by KSPI since, it doesn't use this node at all. But now that you mentioned it, it does appear KSPI alter the command module parent. NOt exactly clear why. Either way, I will fix it in the next patch

There appears to be a tweakscale resizing bug with reactors.

I scaled different reactors down to test them on a nuclear turbojet aircraft and when I return to the hangar after a crash-test flight, the kerbal interface tells me the reactor has returned to its default mass.

To put it another way. I build an aircraft that weighs about 18 tons. Go into flight, wonder why I need over 300 knots airspeed to get off the ground, wreck, return to the build screen, and my aircraft spontaneously decided to weigh in at 36 tons. As soon as I remove the reactor, the mass is reduced to near the expected craft-weight. But just pulling and placing the reactor doesn't fix it. Only by completely swapping the reactor and sizing down the new one does the mass reset to the expected tweaked size value. But of course, flying it just repeats the cycle.

No matter what I do, KSP can't seem to remember the reactor got scaled down.

Is this bug known?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.