[1.3.1]TextureReplacerReplaced v0.5.4

HaArLiNsH

Hi guys, can anyone help me?

I transfered my savefile from KSP 1.2.2 to 1.31. but cant make my old female heads (necKros female heads pack) work right as before. I tried converting all textures to .DDS format using Paint.net, even putting them upside down like in the Diverse Kerbal Heads mods, but they end like this ingame:

y22OrQM.jpg

They look OK in the texture selector:

NGeWcwu.jpg

Is there something else I'm missing here? Thanks in advance.

Also, Thanks HaArLiNsH for continuing this essential mod!

Edited by Trevisan
fixed typos

1 hour ago, jlcarneiro said:

This is getting better and better, thanks!

I'd like to know if, compared to TR, TRR uses more or less system resources (RAM, CPU, etc.) for those (like me) who use potato-like machines... :wink:

I don't know, I would say that is use a bit more resources because it does a bit more than TR but you shouldn't see a real difference when they are used without a lot of textures. The resources problem depend on what kind of textures you use.

I can already tell you that my coming big HD texture pack will need a good machine :)

2 minutes ago, Trevisan said:

Hi guys, can anyone help me?

I transfered my savefile from KSP 1.2.2 to 1.31. but cant make my old female heads (necKros female heads pack) as before. I tried converting all textures to .DDS format using Paint.net, even putting them upside down like in the Diverse Kerbal Heads mods, but they end like this ingame:

y22OrQM.jpg

They look OK in the texture selector:

NGeWcwu.jpg

Is there something else I'm missing here? Thanks in advance.

Also, Thanks HaArLiNsH for continuing this essential mod!

ahaha so funny :)

You made a "reverse-horizontally" , I can see that the mouth is on the left side instead of the right side of the texture :) 

And as I said before, to properly convert your head .dds, use DDSConverter with these settings : DXT1 + MipMaps + Clamp

You will also need the NRM for your heads, otherwise you wont have good results.

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

You don’t NEED normal maps btw, but they do make the heads look better and more realistic.

Yeah , I wont force people to use NRM ofc, but if you use TRR to upgrade your graphics, do it well :)

But you can have some problem if you switch heads ingame (I mean at the flight scene with the new menu). If you switch to a head with NRM and then to a head without, the kerbal will keep the last used NRM and this will lead to bad looking things.  If you reload the game after your choice, the problem should disappear.

Edited by HaArLiNsH

I don't want any textures replaced, I just want visor reflections and IVA suits on Kerbin. I changed to this mod from Texture Replacer, and now all the suits look different and the visors are an opaque bright pink. What should I do?

14 hours ago, Zekario said:

I don't want any textures replaced, I just want visor reflections and IVA suits on Kerbin. I changed to this mod from Texture Replacer, and now all the suits look different and the visors are an opaque bright pink. What should I do?

I think this is the last time I respond to this kind of message... no thanks, no informations to help you and just whine whine ... :mad:

The suits bundled with TRR are really stock alike, I just fixed some alignments on the side of the kerbal and I changed the logo on them (this is still a genuine KSP logo). If you don't like the new EVA ground suit, just don''t use it !

I made a damn menu selector where you can choose what you want.  

You can also remove the veteran suits if you don't like them, just read the explanations of TRR and you will know how to do it..

As for the pink visors, IF you read some older posts , you could have learn that the real reflections on the visors don't work on Linux, so I guess you are on Linux , don't you ?

Edited by HaArLiNsH

So, I've run into a small issue that I'm hoping you recognize and have an easy fix to, because I've got nothing. With TRR installed, Kerbal face animations play at hyperspeed when on EVA. I tested on a new save file with only TRR and ModuleManager installed to make sure it wasn't anything else causing it, but it still happened. I can have all the other mods installed and it's fine, but as soon as TRR gets added in too, the EVA animations happen so fast that it looks like several Kerbal heads overlayed on each other at partial transparency.

Is this something you have seen before? Is there some config tweak or something I can do to stop this? I seem to dimly recall someone else complaining about a similar issue with the old TR, but this is the first I've seen of it.

12 hours ago, Doxel said:

So, I've run into a small issue that I'm hoping you recognize and have an easy fix to, because I've got nothing. With TRR installed, Kerbal face animations play at hyperspeed when on EVA. I tested on a new save file with only TRR and ModuleManager installed to make sure it wasn't anything else causing it, but it still happened. I can have all the other mods installed and it's fine, but as soon as TRR gets added in too, the EVA animations happen so fast that it looks like several Kerbal heads overlayed on each other at partial transparency.

Is this something you have seen before? Is there some config tweak or something I can do to stop this? I seem to dimly recall someone else complaining about a similar issue with the old TR, but this is the first I've seen of it.

Someone else has reported that too, I will need to check that, It seems like it tries to reset the animation when its playing.

Does it happen when doing EVA on kerbin ? (So a EVA ground with atmosphere)  or only in space ?

EDIT: I found a hint on the problem, it only happen when you have a visor. Gonna try to fix this :)

I also found and fixed the bug for the jetpack_EvaSpace_Badass_Female that showed the default jetpack instead of the male when there are no female texture

EDIT 2: You will never guess what's related to this problem... The reflection script and the reflection interval , Black magic always comes at a price :P

You can "fix" this by setting the reflectionInterval = 60  in the Default.cfg 

I was going to change to this value anyway  (so it update the reflection only one time per 60 frames, it should help when you have a lot of physics to be computed)

I'll try to find a real solution.

This seems to only happen when your kerbal is not in an idle state, like sometimes , some of them seems really happy to be on the Mun and they make a biiig smile, you can see that a each refresh of the reflections , you have a frame with the "idle head" and not the "big smiling head".  I don't understand why, yet. :) 

Edited by HaArLiNsH

8 hours ago, HaArLiNsH said:

You can "fix" this by setting the reflectionInterval = 60  in the Default.cfg

That makes it a lot better, but they're still a little twitchy. Every two seconds or so they reset to their default expression for a single frame in the middle of all the grinning.

8 hours ago, HaArLiNsH said:

This seems to only happen when your kerbal is not in an idle state, like sometimes , some of them seems really happy to be on the Mun and they make a biiig smile, you can see that a each refresh of the reflections , you have a frame with the "idle head" and not the "big smiling head".  I don't understand why, yet. :) 

A bit of testing on my part showed that it actually happens during default expressions too if you zoom in and look carefully at their lips. There's a lot less facial movement so it's harder to see, but it is still going at hyperspeed with a neutral face too.

1 minute ago, Doxel said:

That makes it a lot better, but they're still a little twitchy. Every two seconds or so they reset to their default expression for a single frame in the middle of all the grinning.

A bit of testing on my part showed that it actually happens during default expressions too if you zoom in and look carefully at their lips. There's a lot less facial movement so it's harder to see, but it is still going at hyperspeed with a neutral face too.

Yeah it seems it affect the animation, I tried hiding the body mesh and you could see the flicker in the teeth's animations.

Like the mipmaps part, this is a portion of code I'm still "learning"/finding out how it works exactly and how we can "hack" our way trough the system :) 

1 hour ago, HaArLiNsH said:

This is a portion of code I'm still "learning"/finding out how it works exactly and how we can "hack" our way trough the system :)

Hey, no problem. You take all the time you need. I'm just glad that thanks to you I can tell my Kerbals apart again. Anything else is just gravy.

I spent a good portion of today futzing with my textures, and trying to decrease the amount of compression artifacts that occur when converting to DDS files.  I think there is a fundamental limitation in quality with DDS (or at least the DDS conversion tools) that is simply unavoidable.  I had no luck, and finally whipped up a very simple test image to test the conversion process.  The test image has absolutely no aliasing or smoothing of lines at all, and contains exactly three colors.  The black lines are all one pixel in width.

Test image:

BxB1xHz.png

DDS conversion of test image:

MDX17C0.png

As you can see, there are compression artifacts all over the damn place.  Paint.Net doesn't leave such marked compression artifacts, but it has no ability to force CLAMP as an option during the DDS conversion process, so I'm giving up.  I'm just going to finish my suit pack, and let the damn compression issue be.  If anyone knows of a better way to do the conversion from .png to .dds and make them all work, I'm happy to upload all my templates and materials and let someone else fix and even take over my pack.

In the meantime, work continues.  I just have to rename and reconvert all my original PNG files, which isn't difficult, but does take a little bit of time.  Then I need to make sure the lighting issue is actually corrected, and at that point I can, if all goes well, get an initial upload for anyone who want to test, with a full release shortly thereafter.

I would hope I can have this all done by the end of the week, but I make no promises.  I anticipated having this pack ready to release a couple of weeks ago, and that clearly didn't happen, and unfortunately I have too many real life obligations to cover.

Yeah, still lots of little compression artifacts along all the non-horizontal lines.  I just don't think there's any way around it.  DDS is just too lossy of a compression algorithm to worry about it too much.  

Just for fun, if you're up for it, try converting this one in GIMP:

owElItE.png

It would be helpful if you can post the output DDS file in dropbox or something so we can zoom in on the stars and emblem, as they have the finer detail and seem to have most of the issues.

6 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

This is what I got using the Intel Texture Works plug-in for Photoshop (DXT1 no alpha): https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoMBZCPKpMrQvkajAj3esTAT3E-m

That actually looks the best out of all of them.  I don't have access to photoshop, though.  How long did it take to convert that file?  How long would it take to convert 221 files?  

Does it also clamp the DDS file?

Edited by Cetera

1 hour ago, Cetera said:

That actually looks the best out of all of them.  I don't have access to photoshop, though.  How long did it take to convert that file?  How long would it take to convert 221 files?  

I have more informations on the .dds subject :

The .dds in just a container format (like the .mkv in video) and the compression is not related. they are several compressions method that have different result and compatibility.Unfortunately, KSP don't support the newest compression method ... :(

BC1 4bpp (linear)
BC1 4bpp (sRGB, DX10+)
BC6H 8bpp Fast (Linear, DX11+)
B6CH 8bpp Fast (Linear, DX11+)
BC7 8bpp Fast (Linear, DX11+)
BC7 8bpp Fine (Linear, DX11+)
BC7 8bpp Fast (sRGB, DX11+)
BC7 8bpp Fine (sRGB, DX11+)
BC4 4bpp (Linear, Grayscale)
none 32bpp 

KSP seems to only support the "old" BC1 compression and I can't get the .dds generated by this pugin work in KSP.. even in windows, usually, I can see the image of the "working" .dds directly in the explorer (thanks to the  nvidia photoshop plugin) but this don't work for the Intel's .dds. I guess its related to the fact that the new compression method need DX11+. Thus even if it worked, this won't do good for Linux KSP :) 

VBSyA3a.png

fndC4Zd.png

I also tried the official nvidia tool (with some trick to make it work in the latest photoshop), you have even more configurations but I can't get the clamp option. (neither in the intel's plugin). They talk about it when we use the tool in console mode but not in GUI mode. 

And none of these 2 allow you to convert in batch , witch could be tedious with a lot of files to convert...

Sooo , a lot of words to say one thing, unfortunately we don't have much choices for now ... I advice you to stay to DDSconverter even if the results are not perfect. :/

Edited by HaArLiNsH

1 hour ago, Cetera said:

The dds plugin for photoshop and Gimp do a better job than the dds converter that is constantly brought up in this thread. To convert a large amount of files, Photoshop can do batch conversion, so it would be easier but not necessarily faster. Gimp can do batch conversion but it’s not easy to set up (you have to write up a script). That said, Gimp saves DDS textures much faster than PS when saving manually. 221 textures is a lot though. I wouldnt blame you if you decided to miss out on a little quality for convenience.

@Cetera I'm pretty sure you can mitigate the problem by handworking your star by hand, as you can see in this zoomed picture of your original file, you still have multiple colors around your lines and this lead to the artefacts (because I think it compress by square of 3x3 pixels or something like that)

In that picture I can at least 3 level of grey/back and 3 level of orange
HxqCxRr.jpg

2 minutes ago, HaArLiNsH said:

@Cetera I'm pretty sure you can mitigate the problem by handworking your star by hand, as you can see in this zoomed picture of your original file, you still have multiple colors around your lines and this lead to the artefacts (because I think it compress by square of 3x3 pixels or something like that)

In that picture I can at least 3 level of grey/back and 3 level of orange
HxqCxRr.jpg

I tried doing that this weekend, redoing just one start by hand, and was still getting the compression artifacts.  That's why I posted the test file above with a very crappy star, but it was a new file guaranteed to not have any other issues, and guaranteed to be only three colors (gray, black, and dark red).  It had issues all over the place, which is why I gave up.  

From looking at your post above, it looks like this is just a limitation we have to deal with when using DDS in the current KSP engine.  Nothing for it, just have to wait for something better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.