[1.12.x] TRP-Hire (formerly KSI Hiring)

linuxgurugamer

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I dont understand, since I don’t play science, maybe something is missing in my understanding

IIRC (I like this mod, but play MKS, which doesn't work with it...), in science mode every Kerbal you hire will be five-star.  Sounds like he's asking for a way to change that.

• 1 month later...

Hi, first of all thanks for your hard work.

On 3/23/2018 at 10:12 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I've looked into this.  The stock game also makes all hires 5 stars when in science mode.  There must be a good reason, so I'm not going to make any change which makes this work differently than stock 

we can activate the exp for Kerbals in science mode to start with kerbals who can gain experience ( look in adv option when you create a new game).

I am a beginner on KSP and I play in science mode with this option enabled so that my kerbals can improve with time and learn the hard way ;), so I'm also interested in the fact that 5 stars is not an obligation in science mode.

Thank you for reading me.

On 5/10/2018 at 7:32 AM, Erazil said:

Hi, first of all thanks for your hard work.

we can activate the exp for Kerbals in science mode to start with kerbals who can gain experience ( look in adv option when you create a new game).

I am a beginner on KSP and I play in science mode with this option enabled so that my kerbals can improve with time and learn the hard way ;), so I'm also interested in the fact that 5 stars is not an obligation in science mode.

Thank you for reading me.

I'll look into it

• 5 months later...

This mod is awesome, BTW... even if it feels a little cheaty... Then again having each hire cost progressively more than the last also felt wrong - just in the opposite way...

I do have one suggestion...  When the bulk hire selector is used and we get price breaks, the way the price breaks are set up causes it to be cheaper to hire 10 Kerbals  at a 30% discount than to hire 9 at a 15% discount and that feels a little more unrealistic than having little green men running around a planet that's dedicated only to having a space program that mimics the US space program of the 20th century...

I know there are some config options that could deal with this to some degree already, but my suggestion is to put a few more steps into the hiring discounts.  Then have each discount applied only to the number of recruits at that step...  For Example, suppose we have 5 steps: 1-2=0, 3-4=5, 5-6=10, 7-8=15, and 9-10=20.  Further suppose that the base price is 100k.  To hire 10 victims er recruits would cost 2*(100+95+90+85+80)=1.8M.

Danny

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@linuxgurugamer I have a feature request for bulk hires. Currently Courage and Stupidity are fixed for all Kerbals in a bulk hire.

My suggestion is to randomize the Courage, Stupidity, and Badass for each Kerbal. The idea being the player trades control of the screening process for the convenience and discount of hiring in bulk. This could be enabled with another button, but I wouldn't complain if it became the default behavior.

1. The stats would not be shown for each Kerbal prior to hiring to minimize gui changes. 
  2. Use a fixed cost per Kerbal for the batch and it's just part of the gamble for what you get. 
  3. Two choices on stats and costing (no preference):
    • Use a random number for each stat with a linear distribution. Stats are not tied to each other in any way. This would be the biggest crap-shoot and I feel the more "Kerbal" approach. Cost per Kerbal based on a Courage=50, Stupidity=50, no Badass
    • Use a bell curve distribution with the mean value set by the sliders. Cost per Kerbal based on slider settings same as it is now. This would behave closest to how it is now, but add some variability to the numbers.
  4. Chance of Badass should be less than 1 in 1,000,000. Edit to add: based on my current game it's closer to 1 in 7. (5 of 36 or 7 of 40 counting original 4)
  5. Veterans should not pop up in the random bulk hires. Veterans should only be individually recruited. If the Bulk Hire Selector > 1 disable the Veteran button.
Edited by Tonka Crash

New release, 0.6.9

• Traits.cs
    • obtain traits' name (id) & title (display) from ExperienceConfigs already present in GameDatabase instead of fetching raw from config nodes
    • remove special case handling that excludes "Unknown"; this probably being leftover artifact from previous attempt that parsed data from CommunityTraitIcons' config file and thus no longer needed
    • store traitTitles as List instead of Dictionary
    • remove redundant KCareerStrings
    • rename KCareerCnt to KCareerPerRow for clarity: this is the number of careers to show per line of the SelectionGrid and not the number of careers installed in the game
    • fix KCareerGrid size to number of careers instead of incorrect KCareerCnt, for loop counter fixed to match
    • remove unnecessary localization code. TraitTitle.title is already localized (if localization is available) when we obtain it
  • CustomAstronautComplexUI.cs
    • updated to account for changes in Traits.cs
    • use identifiers instead of display strings for checking ProtoCrewMember's trait
    • use pcm.experienceTrait.Config.Name instead of pcm.experienceTrait.TypeName and pcm.experienceTrait.Title..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 10:36 AM, Tonka Crash said:

@linuxgurugamer I have a feature request for bulk hires. Currently Courage and Stupidity are fixed for all Kerbals in a bulk hire.

My suggestion is to randomize the Courage, Stupidity, and Badass for each Kerbal. The idea being the player trades control of the screening process for the convenience and discount of hiring in bulk. This could be enabled with another button, but I wouldn't complain if it became the default behavior.

1. The stats would not be shown for each Kerbal prior to hiring to minimize gui changes. 
  2. Use a fixed cost per Kerbal for the batch and it's just part of the gamble for what you get. 
  3. Two choices on stats and costing (no preference):
    • Use a random number for each stat with a linear distribution. Stats are not tied to each other in any way. This would be the biggest crap-shoot and I feel the more "Kerbal" approach. Cost per Kerbal based on a Courage=50, Stupidity=50, no Badass
    • Use a bell curve distribution with the mean value set by the sliders. Cost per Kerbal based on slider settings same as it is now. This would behave closest to how it is now, but add some variability to the numbers.
  4. Chance of Badass should be less than 1 in 1,000,000. Edit to add: based on my current game it's closer to 1 in 7. (5 of 36 or 7 of 40 counting original 4)
  5. Veterans should not pop up in the random bulk hires. Veterans should only be individually recruited. If the Bulk Hire Selector > 1 disable the Veteran button.

@Tonka Crash do you feel comfortable enough to take a stab at implementing these suggestions?

@linuxgurugamer PR's are up, I think. Github still isn't intuitive for me. One issue remaining that I have no idea how to disable the Veteran and Badass buttons on bulk hires. I'm fine reading a nd changing an algorithm, but I don't really have any idea when it comes to GUI control. I got lucky on the scaling issue. The changes I made ignore the buttons when the bulk hires is greater than 1, but a user might complain that they checked Veteran and didn't get any. 

The changes:

1. Max number of hires increased to 20 (set by a constant). The code had a second tier of discounts that kicked in for more than 10 hires, but only let you pick 10 and it just had the number "10" scattered throughout the code.
  2. A 3rd order function based on a random number is used to generate stats centered on the value of the slider. The output should give a value within +/10% of the slider 60% of the time. 
  3. There is a 5% chance for badass. 0% for Veteran. If you want a Veteran, you have to hire them individually.
  4. Cost is a flat rate for the group regardless of the individual stats. You trade fine control for convenience and it's a crap shoot for what you get.
  5. Fixed the grammar for the Veteran button.

Edited by Tonka Crash

On 3/22/2018 at 9:33 PM, Goose273 said:

How do you remove the 5 star experience mandatory for science mode? 

On 5/10/2018 at 4:32 AM, Erazil said:

PR submitted for the above requests.

Also addressed a quirky bug I found (issue #22) but the solution may need to be rebalanced for prohibitively high hiring cost -- will leave balancing decisions up to linuxgurugamer.

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

One issue remaining that I have no idea how to disable the Veteran and Badass buttons on bulk hires.

Not a problem.  It is not obvious, but essentially you have to do a GUI.enable = false before the button, and then a GUI.enable = true after the button.

1 hour ago, cakepie said:

Also addressed a quirky bug I found (issue #22) but the solution may need to be rebalanced for prohibitively high hiring cost

I'll review.

Thank you both for your work.  Given my current workload, it may be a few days before I can review the PRs

• 3 weeks later...

New release, 0.6.9.2

• If bulk slider > 1, then badass and veteran buttons are disabled;
    • Thanks to @TonkaCrash for this:
      • CustomAstronautComplexUI.cs
      • Changed limit of hires to a single constant, was just set to 10 in various places, but logic assumed more than 10 could be hired at a time        
      • Randomized stats on bulkhires. Sliders affect average value of stats, 5% chance of a badass. Veteran and Badass buttons are ignored for bulkhires. 
    • en-us.cfg
      • Fixed grammar in Veteran tooltip.
      • Randomize stats on bulk hires
      • Fixed grammar error in Veteran tooltip.
  • Thanks to @cake-pit for these:
    • Fix a derp in tooltip
    • Respect KerbalExperienceEnabled setting

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@linuxgurugamer I ran across an really old mod from 2015 that adds Kerbal sorting buttons to the places where you see Kerbals. It's described as being compatible with this mod at that time. Would you consider adopting it or folding it's functions into this mod? 

It would certainly be a nice addition.  However, he was using the old mod, before it was rewritten.

It's quite possible that it may work, but it was unfinished. I'll look at it, no promises, though.

Edit:  There is a licensing issue about this mod, I've sent a message to the author

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.