1.3 spaceplanes getting them off the ground

Took a break from spaceplanes for a bit after 1.1, came back to them with 1.3 and I can't even get anything off the runway now..... planes spin out of control either left or right after passing 50m/sec velocity. Am I missing a change to 1.3 that borked planes or do I just suck now? Problems both with stock planes and spaceplanes plus parts.

Thoughts appreciated.

Edited by Kokanee

Even stock spaceplanes give you trouble? Have you tried simply pulling up sooner so that you put more force on the rear gear and less on the front?

If that's not enough, you can try messing with the friction settings on the gear (disable the auto setting), have the rear gear set high, and the front gear set low.

I can launch large planes just fine, this one is nearly rock steady on launch:

y41cMG9.png

Its an all stock spaceplane, but not designed for the stock system:

Spoiler

w2Wc7MW.png

(3x planet/sun/moon rescale with a 1.2x atmosphere rescale, all parts have the same stats though)

This one I had to do some experimenting to get it to work well on this modded planet, too little friction and it slides around like it was on ice, too much friction and the gear grip too hard and it goes tumbling after hitting small bumps at high speed. I found it worked best at a setting of 0.1 to 0.2 for the front, and 0.3 to 0.4 for the back

mr52xvE.png

Similar settings worked for this one:

MWSI4cl.png

So maybe those are good settings for spaceplanes of that size and general configuration.

I haven't done much with small spaceplanes in 1.3, because pre 1.3 I switched to a 3x rescale game, and so far I haven't been able to make a small one that can reach LKO.

1 hour ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

spread the landing gear

Unfortunately, does nothing to help. I don't get it, I've been building SSTO's successfully for over three years, now suddenly this....

Well, at this point, the common answers have been provided, and they haven't worked for you, so let's see a craft file or some pics.  Most people don't have major issues with getting planes off the ground, so there's gotta be something in your designs that doesn't mesh with the new rules. 

On 7/31/2017 at 9:12 AM, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

they apparently "fixed the wheel physics" in some update, but I don`t know why they would do that

Cause in 1.1, it was severely broken. Like, touchy, liable to exploding, and almost unusable.

9 hours ago, Leafbaron said:

I've had issues similarly to this and it was ultimately due to wheel placement/angle. pictures of craft from side and front with CoM/CoL/CoT would be most helpful. 

As far as I can tell the most common issue with planes lately.  

Affecting big and small planes.  Novices and experienced players. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.