On The Physical Properties of Kerbin in stock 1.2.2 KSP

Neil Kerman

Magnetic fields aren't modelled (though the Kerbal Interstellar Extended mod does allow for antimatter collection by putting your ship in the correct orbit as a kind of simulated Van Allen belt around various bodies).

The Karman Line is actually an interesting question, that I've seen asked elsewhere recently too. I'd guess somewhere around 40km, but don't take my word on that. It probably needs some experimentation to find out.

The main reason I ask the Karmen Line question is because Kerbin is roughly 1/10th the size of Earth. It logicaly follows that everything else is scaled down, so if the Karmen line is at 100 km on earth, then The Kerman Line (my personal name for it) should be at 10 km, which is obviously not space in KSP.

The Karman line is the altitude where the speed necessary to aerodynamically support an airplane's weight equals orbital velocity.  Lift is given by the equation,

L = 1/2 * rho * v^2 * S *CL

where rho = air density, v = velocity, S = wing area, and CL = lift coefficient.

If we assume S, CL , and the weight of the airplane are the same on both Earth and Kerbin, then we should be able to say that Kerbin's Karman line is the atltiude at which rho*V^2 is equal to rho*V^2 at Earth's Karman line.  The Karman line on Earth is accepted to be 100 km, where, if we use the US standard atmosphere model, rho*v^2 = 35.  That equates to an altitude of about 66-67 km on Kerbin (air density varies with temperature, so the exact value depends on where you are.)

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:06 PM, Neil Kerman said:

Thanks! just wondering what you used to get S and CL

I have no idea the values of S and CL are.  It didn't matter in my calculation because I just assumed the same values are used for both Earth and Kerbin.  What I did was,

(1/2 * rho * v^2 * S * CL) EARTH = (1/2 * rho * v^2 * S * CL) KERBIN

As long as S and CL are the same on both sides of the equal sign, we can just cancel them out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.