Planet Overhaul Dev Thread

Mrcarrot

This mod is currently an idea, a couple of WIP configs, and 1 WIP corona texture. It doesn't even have a name yet, but I'm asking @SamBelanger to make a texture for the home planet. I will likely have the rest of the textures procedurally generated, but right now, it's not much. Hopefully, this will have a giant red star for the sun, massive enough to become a supernova. Your homeworld will be mostly desert, with green only in the coldest places on it.

The Homeworld's name: Kirothoum.

@SamBelanger has come through, and has given me a texture that works.

fknXj8T.png

Edited by Mrcarrot

Hello

In ksp you must have a planet named Kerbin set to homeworld to get your space center to work.

I think there is a way to change the "display name" so that you can kinda rename it.

Sometimes (especially when moving Kerbin) the space center scene will be messed up (especially when loading up for the first time).  Reloading a new game from the main menu sometimes works.

Planet making is tricky, sometimes a black space center just means that your cfg is broken.

Good luck with your planet making... Take baby steps and maybe help out with some existing packs before you dive into the deep end?

4 minutes ago, MrChumley said:

Hello

In ksp you must have a planet named Kerbin set to homeworld to get your space center to work.

I think there is a way to change the "display name" so that you can kinda rename it.

Sometimes (especially when moving Kerbin) the space center scene will be messed up (especially when loading up for the first time).  Reloading a new game from the main menu sometimes works.

Planet making is tricky, sometimes a black space center just means that your cfg is broken.

Good luck with your planet making... Take baby steps and maybe help out with some existing packs before you dive into the deep end?

I am doing the displayName thing, so far it works, except for an underground space center. I have not released any planet packs before, but I have made several planets. Also @Gameslinx's first Planet Pack was GPO, and look how successful that was. I am deleting everything and starting from scratch.

Edited by Mrcarrot

3 hours ago, Mrcarrot said:

and look how successful that was

Heh don't go off the download count. It got off very badly (similar results to BK at the moment) because it was very poorly made with very bad textures. It was my first planet pack and I went into it with no knowledge of how to make decent textures at all. 

Make sure your mod is at a good stage before release!

3 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Heh don't go off the download count. It got off very badly (similar results to BK at the moment) because it was very poorly made with very bad textures. It was my first planet pack and I went into it with no knowledge of how to make decent textures at all. 

Make sure your mod is at a good stage before release!

I wasn't going off the download count. I'm just saying that it's one of the best-known planet packs out there. You say GPO, everyone knows what you're talking about.

1 minute ago, Mrcarrot said:

I wasn't going off the download count. I'm just saying that it's one of the best-known planet packs out there. You say GPO, everyone knows what you're talking about.

Ah, gotcha. In which case, thank you :)

Definitely make sure you're happy with your planets before release and you should be good :)

On 9/20/2017 at 3:43 PM, Gameslinx said:

Ah, gotcha. In which case, thank you :)

Definitely make sure you're happy with your planets before release and you should be good :)

Okay. Since you're here, if my space center is in your shown location, how do I fix it?

Small teaser:

fknXj8T.png

Current Sun:

kJb45MO.png

Yeah, it's glitchy. My corona texture isn't working. Does anyone know if png corona textures work? None of my dds textures ever want to work.

Edited by Mrcarrot

1 hour ago, Mrcarrot said:

Today I will begin the painful process of adjusting the heightmap to make the space center aboveground.

No need.

SpaceCenter 
		{
			//PQSCity
			latitude = -0.5
			longitude = 170.41
			lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
			repositionRadiusOffset = 4228  //always minus 22 from mapdecal absolute.offset. This is the physical space center
			reorientFinalAngle = 88

// MapDecal
			decalLatitude = -0.5
			decalLongitude = 170.5
			heightMapDeformity = 0
			absoluteOffset = 4250	//this flattens the area around the Space Center. Increase = higher, decrease = lower
			absolute = true
			radius = 4200
			angle = 180

groundColor = 0.22, 0.24, 0.156, 0.145
			groundTexture = CTTP/Textures/gravel
		}

Just now, Gameslinx said:

No need.

SpaceCenter 
		{
			//PQSCity
			latitude = -0.5
			longitude = 170.41
			lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
			repositionRadiusOffset = 4228  //always minus 22 from mapdecal absolute.offset. This is the physical space center
			reorientFinalAngle = 88

// MapDecal
			decalLatitude = -0.5
			decalLongitude = 170.5
			heightMapDeformity = 0
			absoluteOffset = 4250	//this flattens the area around the Space Center. Increase = higher, decrease = lower
			absolute = true
			radius = 4200
			angle = 180

}

Thanks! I will use this!

On 9/21/2017 at 9:50 AM, Gameslinx said:

No need.

SpaceCenter 
		{
			//PQSCity
			latitude = -0.5
			longitude = 170.41
			lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
			reorientFinalAngle = 88

// MapDecal
			decalLatitude = -0.5
			decalLongitude = 170.5
			heightMapDeformity = 0
			absolute = true
			radius = 4200
			angle = 180

}

In Eden.cfg, you use the PQS Mod MapDecalTangent, which I take to mean the same as MapDecal in SpaceCenter, so can you tell me about that?

Edited by Mrcarrot

1 hour ago, Mrcarrot said:

In Eden.cfg, you use the PQS Mod MapDecalTangent, which I take to mean the same as MapDecal in SpaceCenter, so can you tell me about that?

It forces the rotation of the MapDecal in SpaceCentre. Set the lat and lon to the same as the below one. It just fixes the orientation.

6 hours ago, Galacticvoyager said:

All of the images are broken for some reason...

Hmm.... works for me. It might be due to the fact that I used Google Photos and you can only access them on computers where I am signed in, I will check it out.

12 hours ago, EricL said:

Looks interesting, what will this mod add (or what does it change in the Kerbol system)?

Everything. A red giant sun, a desert homeworld, more of a challenge(I have yet to survive orbital reentry on Kirothoum), a moon currently "in the works", a gas giant also "in the works", that's all I can think of for now.

Recent changes:

I changed Kirothoum's atmosphere to a Duna-type color, because blue skies don't agree with a red sun

I made all of the space center aboveground, but not floating by increasing the flatten area size

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.