[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

Ye the CoG indicatior, that together with the lift vector should help a lot with space plane building. The only problem I can see with it is how to visualize the effect that fuel consumption has on different parts of the ship becomes ligher with time. Would be nice to see a picture of how it it looks like tho.

Ye the CoG indicatior, that together with the lift vector should help a lot with space plane building. The only problem I can see with it is how to visualize the effect that fuel consumption has on different parts of the ship becomes ligher with time. Would be nice to see a picture of how it it looks like tho.

I'm sure once we have a clear idea of what the CoG indicator with look like, we will be able to take an educated guess as to what it would be after the fuel drains.

CoG is Centre of Gravity

Edit: also, in the thread in the development bit, Harvester keeps updating it as to how far all the individual bits are coming along.

Edited by Paprika
Didn't want to double post

Hope that the full transfrom to vBulletin is ready soon, so they can make new dev posts.

These Planets are really awesome!! But I´m thinking about the distance. When you want to fly to the planet the rocket must be so big, that my pc can´t handle it! Or we need new Engines.

@Nova: What new parts are you plannig?

I wonder how the asteroid belt nova mentioned will be implemented. I think we all picture it being like star wars, but if he did it realistically then wed have to plan ahead to run into and look at the asteroids.

This is an interesting consideration! Reminds me of hearing old space explorers/engineers saying before Pioneer 10 they weren't sure if they could even make it through the asteroid belt only to find the chances of colliding with an asteroid is truly astronomical (pun intended). Empire Strikes Back RULES!

With regards to naming the Desert planet, perhaps if it has a lot of dust storms* it could be called Aeolia? I think it's a cool sounding name...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolian_processes

* which it probably should.... when weather is implemented... cause that'd be cool

A while ago, Nova stated that he wanted the name to contain the three letters 'Des' somewhere.

I suggested 'Lamedes' (romanesque pronunciation, Lam-ee-dees) or some spelling variations, which I recall NovaSilisko said he liked as a name for the mars-like planet.

Back on topic: Why not name the desert planet Arrakis? In an Homage to "Dune".

I assumed it would be copyrighted or trademarked, but there have been a bunch of products trademarked by the name in the US (none related to Dune) and the only current one is for a stylized logo by a clothing company. http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4002:8i8272.2.1

I can't find a simple registered trademark search on the Mexican government's intellectual property page, but my Spanish isn't the greatest.

A while ago, Nova stated that he wanted the name to contain the three letters 'Des' somewhere.

I suggested 'Lamedes' (romanesque pronunciation, Lam-ee-dees) or some spelling variations, which I recall NovaSilisko said he liked as a name for the mars-like planet.

I actually called the lander I'm sending the planet Lamedes Mk. I

Yeah, I knew that. I just think it's silly to limit your options when there's plenty of great possibilities which don't have des in.

Indeed, those look good, packing a punch for aircrafts to take off from short runways and maybe from aircraft carriers?

Btw, how the engine power can be altered in .cfg file? I tried to change thrust and isp but it didn't do anything.

Besides the planets, this is what i am waiting for. It would make plane building significantly easier

is some kind of mapping/surveying going to be implemented. Otherwise whats the point of a planet we can't land on (lava)

Agreed, it would be very nice to map the moons and new planets, looking out for interesting points, maybe as you map it you can open a 3d model and study it to a high level of detail :)