Extraplanetary Launchpads Just Ain't Enough

Kernel Kraken

Mobile VAB/SPH  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like this kind of thing?

• Yeah
    • Nah

Hey! So a while back there was a mod in the making. It would have added a sort of 'mobile VAB' aspect. It would allow you to construct and design ships in orbit, kind of like an orbital dry dock. I though it was a cool concept, and I was kind of sad to find out that it had died. I was wondering if someone wanted to create some kind of thing like this, or if the community would like this kind of thing.

I've wanted this since I first built something offworld. Unless an experienced modder says they're doing it, I'm assuming it's either impossible or so close to it as to be practically so.

And I love Extraplanetary Launchpads. I'd just love to have the VAB interface on the surface of Mun.

Sorry for not posting, but I meant that extraplanetary Launchpads wasn't enough as you can't design ships or stuff in space. Sure, you can launch stuff, but wouldn't it be cool to build your own SPH with a different size? So you could make different sized ships. And it would be purty dang cool if I had an orbital SPH.

I was thinking about a possible mod that basically uses construts as parts like a ore mining facility that actually mines ores and perhapes gets it around by Planetary Logistics. Then, you could use the ore to build other buildings like dedicated greenhouse buildings, Civilian Population apartments, dedicated rocket factories, etc.

Oh I see.  Possibly a custom screen for a SPH then?  Surely that's doable... as for entering the mobile VAB/sph from clicking on the part that maybe harder, but it could be from the KSC as new building like the Observatory in Research Bodies, but call the building the Offworld Logistics Centre or something.

As mentioned before, launching to a non specified location maybe possible using the Kerbal Konstructs or else an EPL mechanic I wonder if KK can be manipulated to a part rather than a static?

Peace.

• 5 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, Kernel Kraken said:

Hey! So a while back there was a mod in the making. It would have added a sort of 'mobile VAB' aspect. It would allow you to construct and design ships in orbit, kind of like an orbital dry dock. I though it was a cool concept, and I was kind of sad to find out that it had died. I was wondering if someone wanted to create some kind of thing like this, or if the community would like this kind of thing.

the mod is keridian dynamics and I think it goes as far as 1.3.1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.