The 2018 Kerbal Dakar

Speed. Endurance. Destruction. This is what defined the KDC (Kerbal Dakar Challenge) in 2017. Teams and drivers rose to the occasion, and fell along the way. But now, as the sun sets on 2017 and rises on 2018, it is time for the rebirth. The resurrection. The 2018 Dakar. We will be tested. We will be tried. We will fight the forces of nature, and continue to duel along the mountains of Kerbin. This. Is. Dakar.

Welcome to the official Kerbal Dakar 2017.

CTy1nJq.png

Aerial overview by DoctorDavinci:

Spoiler

This challenge will test your design, driving and strategy skills.

Don't think this is going to be easy, expect bumps, hills, drops, mountains.

Study the route you want to take before you start, A to B is never a straight line in the Dakar.

Some stages will be more about braking than going fast.

Make sure you will not be disturbed during your attempt.

Put on your favorite music and play it loud, this will keep you focused while driving.

How it works:

1. Download the "Official Kerbal Dakar 2017" savefile. 

It is a empty savegame containing only the 7 flags needed to set up the route.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6nz4myuv7a1tdmr/AAAn2y3Yj6v0RDsOkfE0yUVaa?dl=0

If you are using 1.2.1, Open the persistence file in a text editor and change the third line from 'version = 1.2.2' to 'version = 1.2.1.

DoctorDavinci's explanation :

1- Download the Official Kerbal Dakar 2017 save file form the link provided.
2- Copy the Dakar2017 save game to the save game folder that will be found in your KSP directory ... {your KSP install location}/savegames/.
3- Go back into KSP, click on 'load save' and select Official Kerbal Dakar 2017.
4- Start racing :wink:.

2. Design a manned rover.

- Use mods or make it stock, it's up to you.

- You can use electric, jet engines, both if you like but no flying (that also means don't use jet engines while jumping).

- Minimal 1 Kerbal, so no drones.

- No saving during stages.

- When a stage is finished you can save and start the next stage when ever you like.

- If you crash during a stage, and you can't repair you have to restart the complete rally.

3. Start to finish, how to.

- You will have to complete 7 stages, timing each using screenshots (press F1, the screenshot will be found in your KSP directory {your KSP install location}/Screenshots/ ) , 2 per stage, showing us the rover near the flag. E.g:

Screenshot 1.

XYnuNbf.png

Screenshot 2

kI1dkNR.png

Make your starting screenshot when the clock hits 0 seconds, this will make calculating time easier.

Now calculate your time, in my case: start: 00.28.00 finish: 00.44.11 = total stage time: 00.16.11

When calculating your time, keep in mind a clock has 60 minutes and 60 seconds, so don't add up to 100.

When done, upload your results here: 

The challenge will end on February 1st 2018, you have till then to upload your results.

The winner will be known 1st week of February.

Goodluck!

The 7 stages:

x225o2P.png

XmuzJeo.png

5IX1RUk.png

WSfcI5A.png

hjOT8TO.png

0meMaQ6.png

WfIKuvC.png

Before starting to ask me all sort of questions, please read this thread : 

Edited by DarkOwl57

21 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Wait, so you can't save during a leg, but I'm reading this:

So not just the stage, correct? So the saves are pretty worthless?

Okay, so if you wreck in a stage, you've got to restart the whole rally over; similar to the real life Dakar. 

ShadowGoat accepts the challenge!

Just a question would we be allowed to use KIS so that for minor repairs we can actually do something? I don’t want to get eliminated because a battery or solar panel broke.

Edited by ShadowGoat

I'd like to add the following: nothing is said about terrain detail. Obviously someone running the challenge on low detail would have a huge advantage over anyone using normal or high settings.

Normal is actually the least favorable setting because of the sharp changes in terrain, high has my preference because the changes are more smooth. And since we're running with low-part count vehicles anyway, performance shouldn't be an issue.

On 12/4/2017 at 2:07 AM, MiffedStarfish said:

One thread was Triop saying he would not run it this year, but anyone else is willing to pick it up, darkowl accepted and this is the proper challenge thread.

No, @DarkOwl57 started two threads, in addition to triop

17 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I'd like to add the following: nothing is said about terrain detail. Obviously someone running the challenge on low detail would have a huge advantage over anyone using normal or high settings.

This should definitely be an official rule.

17 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Normal is actually the least favorable setting because of the sharp changes in terrain, high has my preference because the changes are more smooth. And since we're running with low-part count vehicles anyway, performance shouldn't be an issue.

I also prefer high detail.

Two months this time? I'll probably do it.

On 12/3/2017 at 12:12 PM, DarkOwl57 said:

The challenge will end on February 1st 2017, you have till then to upload your results.

Wait, what?

20 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Just now, regex said:

This should definitely be an official rule.

I also prefer high detail.

I'm still not quite sure about this... I mean the last challenge there wasn't any real rule about it. I do know, however, that some people aren't as privileged to have NASA Alienware as a computer, and do need a bit of help from the texture helper. I think that for now we can just go on a "If you need it, use it" kind of thing. Basically, if you need low detail, use low. 

2 minutes ago, regex said:

Two months this time? I'll probably do it

:D

2 minutes ago, regex said:

Wait, what?

Gaaaaaahhhhh!!! shootshoootshootshootshoot

1 minute ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Basically, if you need low detail, use low. 

I'd use low detail to cheat, lol. Look, even my old Gazelle laptop running an Intel GPU had no issues with high terrain detail (it was required for RSS so I pretty much turned it on through force of habit), it had issues with the terrain shader. If you have issues with the terrain shader then you've got a potato and I can help with that.

1 minute ago, Azimech said:

Okay, I won't be running in low detail (the planet is barren and uninteresting enough as it is) so I won't participate.

Just now, regex said:

I'd use low detail to cheat, lol. Look, even my old Gazelle laptop running an Intel GPU had no issues with high terrain detail (it was required for RSS so I pretty much turned it on through force of habit), it had issues with the terrain shader. If you have issues with the terrain shader then you've got a potato and I can help with that.

I didn't mean it like that! It's kind of a "Use whatever you want" deal. If you want high, use high! I'm just not going to set a specific level to use.

1 minute ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I didn't mean it like that! It's kind of a "Use whatever you want" deal. If you want high, use high! I'm just not going to set a specific level to use.

Alternative: have three score lists based on terrain detail.

I have below recorded the team brainstorming ideas for the vehicle of Dakar.

Spoiler

Aquaria

A Conference Room

”How the hell are we going to get over that terrain? It’s so bumpy you’d need a tank to climb it!“

<sips 17th coffee>

“Aaaauuuuuugg- <sputter> Wait... that’s genius!”

<Googles tanks>

”How much is a state of the art tanks these days?”

“Ehhhhh... we can probably afford it.”

”Wait Wait Wait Wait... how will Grestin react to having a fully weaponised armoured vehicle roving abou the countryside will no supervision?”

”Ehhhhhhhh... not our problem, let’s go!”

I’m going to use a tank! More specifically, a MBT-6C Cervus. With the full weapon load. For Science!

This is probably an awful idea, but I’m going ahead with it! I’ll start tomorrow.

1 hour ago, ShadowGoat said:

Just a question would we be allowed to use KIS so that for minor repairs we can actually do something? I don’t want to get eliminated because a battery or solar panel broke.

You can deploy KIS containers at the stages, yeah. But you can't just drop in a whole new car. 

1 hour ago, ShadowGoat said:

Ik that would just be cheap. I would build a new car around the old one.

EDIT: also could I keep the engines on in air as long as they don’t increase altitude or counteract gravity

There's a difference between jumping and powered flight. Keeping them powered on falls in the latter category.

There's a solution for that, in case you haven't heard of it before. Take a look.

https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I--Boost-Flap-Installation-Guide

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.