Yet another BDA dogfighting competition

54 minutes ago, Eidahlil said:

You're always welcome to reenter. :)

I probably will..... Gotta do some more R&D. Currently I have set up 5 SAM sites around KSC and am trying to takeoff in the Snub... I can do it by hand, auto pilot, nope. Then again, I am good at flying near mach 1 under 100M he

1 hour ago, Andetch said:

Also, anyone wanna confirm what the pitch KI lider does in autopilot? Not able to find an explanation online, it seems is out of date? Is this the pitch limiter control?

1 hour ago, exbyde said:

Look up PID loops. It basically describes how an aircraft responds to a change in input. If PIDs are wrong, your aircraft wobbles or doesn't respond enough.

Take a look at our BDPedia (KSPedia) in game for info on AI settings 

I haven't put pitchKI in yet but it is a PID controller that will help stabilize your craft if it is floppy while flying ... each craft will respond differently to this setting

Pro Tip - set pitchKI to zero as a starting point and test at different speeds ... if your pitch keps wobbling then adjust the pitchKI to compensate for the wobble

39 minutes ago, drtricky said:

@Eidahlil@Eidahlil Thanks for hosting these fights! I just have one question: Can I modify my fighter, even though it's KOTH? I'll admit I didn't give it a proper shakedown test, and I don't like how long it's firing its guns.

I'd rather not, one time would be fine, but if everyone started to do it, things would get confusing quickly. :D If somebody beats you because of that, you can just reenter, though I doubt the firing pattern makes that much of a difference. :)

Just now, dundun92 said:

@Eidahlil, could you remove the canards? I dont have access to my ksp computer until friday.

Rule 1.3, sorry cannot help you. :) We might still be running by Friday though.

8 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

3. I will not modify your craft. That's what we have you for.

17 minutes ago, dundun93 said:

Craft contains parts from other mods (KerbalX says Airplane Plus). Let me know when it's updated. :)

1 minute ago, Eidahlil said:

Rule 1.3, sorry cannot help you. :) We might still be running by Friday though.

Craft contains parts from other mods (KerbalX says Airplane Plus). Let me know when it's updated. :)

Ok.

3 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Wait there is another F-42? Goddamnit that is the name of my new seat fighter.

:P

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Just as personal etiquette and not a rule, make sure to test your planes before submitting. It would save OP a lot of time.

Yeah, I should have. At least I know know the one I just entered works.

2 minutes ago, Eidahlil said:

*snip*

If I'm correct, that rolling issue can be solved by showing the CoM and CoL in the hangar. It's a bug with KSP.

That won't solve its aerodynamic instability, though.

Edited by drtricky

6 minutes ago, drtricky said:

If I'm correct, that control issue can be solved by showing the CoM and CoL in the hangar. It's a bug with KSP.

Very interesting. I will test that, and if it turns out to be correct, there may be a rematch coming.

EDIT: If I understood that correctly, it does not seem to be the case. It's just that the plane has a lot of control surfaces, weak aerodynamic stability, steer factor is too high, steer damping is too low, and it just ambles about. They also took quite a while to get close together enough for competition to start in the first match.

Spoiler

Edited by Eidahlil

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.