Sounds?

4 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

It was mentioned in one of the webcasts around 2015 that Squad have a full library of sounds to add to the game, but that it wasn't on the immediate roadmap at that point. There have been some added since, but there's still a long way to go.

There's a list (old) of potential actions that could use sounds here.

Thanks for your efforts @pizzaoverhead. You're already my main source for filling in the silence. Still, I think sound ought to be stock (and pretty fundamental to any game), and I'm just wondering if/when it will happen especially since a DLC is coming out.

I've done a tiny bit of that myself - see my sig.

It's no coincidence that I started with the little engines, either.  They're written in the new syntax and easy to mod.  But plenty of engines are still written in the old config file syntax which limits your sound choices to a handful of 2011 defaults.

Converting these files would be fairly straightforward if it wasn't for the particle effect options, which were also simple defaults in 2011 and have become complicated nine-option code brace things now.

HarvestR may be the only person who completely understands how these config files work, or how sound works in KSP in general - he didn't like the Unity defaults and cooked up something of his own.  So his leaving must have been a solid blow to the sound workover.

Edited by Corona688

On 13/12/2017 at 9:24 PM, Corona688 said:

I've done a tiny bit of that myself - see my sig.

It's no coincidence that I started with the little engines, either.  They're written in the new syntax and easy to mod.  But plenty of engines are still written in the old config file syntax which limits your sound choices to a handful of 2011 defaults.

Converting these files would be fairly straightforward if it wasn't for the particle effect options, which were also simple defaults in 2011 and have become complicated nine-option code brace things now.

HarvestR may be the only person who completely understands how these config files work, or how sound works in KSP in general - he didn't like the Unity defaults and cooked up something of his own.  So his leaving must have been a solid blow to the sound workover.

I had a look at your engine sound mod. Why have you overwritten the Squad files? Not a good move in my opinion.

Edited by majNUN

It was just the obvious thing to do.  I remember that being the only way to do it, long ago.

You're 5 minutes too late to lecture me on modulemanager, I just got introduced to it.  I'll modularize it soon if I can.

Edited by Corona688

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.