Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

8 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

I threw this together in about half an hour. It's a little better, some more steps in the right direction. You can study it and stuff for some pointers.

I tested it against a barely tuned lightweight compact drone of my own (inspired by the Micro Fighter when it was first submitted). Unfortunately for the MF, it seems like I made my 5 ton drone still too vicious for it... and my crudely-tuned Basilisks lol.

@goduranus KSC 8km starts allow the fighters to get to their set default altitude. Not sure how big of a difference that makes, but Viper never had a definitive superiority over the RS either. I usually do a 10km - 14km start if from KSC just for a bit more of fairness, since a lot of Sidewinders are set to be selected from 8km. Not sure how big of a difference that makes either.

@Box of Stardust Thanks man!

I'm torn between naming my planes after predatory animals or WWE moves (inspired by the tombstone). What do you guys think?

2 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

So, I am going to bring back the DCK issue again. My rig is about half as good as yours, runs 5 other mids, and DCK works fine.

Meanwhile, I’m running DCK on a relatively cheap laptop without trouble. 

27 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

I run 64 bit

When i run DCK on mine, i notice a lot more frame drops than usual. Its not unplayable, but it devolves things back to the quality of some of the more intense dogfights before my current rig. I'm also not exactly thrilled with the additions of shields and armor for DCK. I know how the armor for BDAc works (see tombstone), but not the armor for DCK

Edited by exbyde

2 hours ago, exbyde said:

When i run DCK on mine, i notice a lot more frame drops than usual. Its not unplayable, but it devolves things back to the quality of some of the more intense dogfights before my current rig. I'm also not exactly thrilled with the additions of shields and armor for DCK. I know how the armor for BDAc works (see tombstone), but not the armor for DCK

The mod as a whole would probably be unbalanced, TBH. I wonder why your computer lags with it installed though while my potato handles it well. It seems to defy logic.

Also, I have another plane! https://kerbalx.com/53miner53/P-5-Flash

Steer factor is how much control input the AI decides to apply for a given desired steer angle.

Say for example, if your plane wants to pitch up by 20 degrees, a steer factor of 5 might initially put in 20% control input, while a steer factor of 10 puts in a 40% control input. You want to set this to the highest you can get away with without the plane spinning out of control or start wobbling when using its gun.

I think pitch ki controls how much your plane steers in response to the asymmetry of the plane in the up down direction, useful for planes that where center of thrust is not on the same plane as the center of mass. But I don't know how to adjust this one.

Edited by goduranus

10 hours ago, exbyde said:

I'm also not exactly thrilled with the additions of shields and armor for DCK.

Armor adds weight, lowering maneuverability. All the armor in the world won't help if the source of fire isn't eliminated. Sheilds can't be shot through, and having just a rear-facing one doesn't work, as it breaks from aero forces.

Welp.

@exbyde I'd like to replace the Basilisk-D5's spot in the queue with this weapon to surpass Metal Gear.

TFDs, Squirrels, PEGASi- it beats all of them.

All it took me was half an hour of building (well, and hours of previously done testing for my other fighters). Someone send a fighter to prove me wrong, because I really, really hate this thing. You can all thank the Du-3 (and to an extent, the yet-to-be-officially-tested X-15 [words]) for this abomination.

Probably the only thing that'll beat this thing is the Cookie. I haven't tested for it, but it's the only battle where the math is much more in favor for the Cookie.

Edited by Box of Stardust

3 hours ago, Wolf5698 said:

I screwed up real bad and updated my game. I reverted to the previous version but I cannot open any of my crafts. Is there anything I can do?

RIP, are any on KerbalX? If so, redownload them. That or maybe move the craft to a new save game?

11 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

Welp.

@exbyde I'd like to replace the Basilisk-D5's spot in the queue with this weapon to surpass Metal Gear.

All it took me was half an hour of building (well, and hours of previously done testing for my other fighters). Someone send a fighter to prove me wrong, because I really, really hate this thing. You can all thank the Du-3 (and to an extent, the yet-to-be-officially-tested X-15 [words]) for this abomination.

Probably the only thing that'll beat this thing is the Cookie. I haven't tested for it, but it's the only battle where the math is much more in favor for the Cookie.

Nothing wrong with this, it's symmetrical, with balanced engines, lots of wings and heavy firepower, looks to be a serious contender.

33 minutes ago, goduranus said:

Nothing wrong with this, it's symmetrical, with balanced engines, lots of wings and heavy firepower, looks to be a serious contender.

The funny thing is, only the firepower really matters. The rest helps, but maybe not in the way you think. 

5 hours ago, Wolf5698 said:

I screwed up real bad and updated my game. I reverted to the previous version but I cannot open any of my crafts. Is there anything I can do?

Also @exbyde is the Jernas missile turret ok for Super fighters?

Did you revert to the correct previous version? And I assume your mods are still installed.

12 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

Welp.

I can do that

6 hours ago, Wolf5698 said:

Also @exbyde is the Jernas missile turret ok for Super fighters?

So, go to notepad++, go to the SPH folder in your save, and open each craft. There's a version line, will probably say 1.4. change it to 1.3.1. 

46 minutes ago, Steven Kerman said:

Hey, 1.4 has its perks...

MHtzW3j.png

Yeah that feature is TOTALLY not getting used here, even after 1.4 gets officially used here XD>.

4 hours ago, Steven Kerman said:

Hey, 1.4 has its perks...

MHtzW3j.png

I... must... resist... upgrading... to... 1.4...

1 hour ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Who thinks I should do a rocket-powered entry?

I say no, because of the massive IR signature. 

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.