Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

3 minutes ago, goduranus said:

Off topic here, but since we're all air combat enthusiasts here, I'd like to share this cool free indie game in the veins of Ace Combat. Well not "free" but Pay-If-You-Want, where you can try the Alpha and donate if you want to support the development.

Download link at the bottom of the link: https://rb-d2.itch.io/wingman/devlog/24909/project-wingman-alpha-5-revision-2

Huh, you can get the alpha of that? Didn't know. 

Get this, or wait 10 more months for AC7... hm....

6 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Huh, you can get the alpha of that? Didn't know. 

Get this, or wait 10 more months for AC7... hm....

I think he's ought to release it before AC7 to undercut AC7's buyers. Afterall, AC7 was initially promised for 2017 I'm kinda pis sed:mad:

Edited by goduranus

Yop , Everyone !

i'm working on a competitive version of my typhoon . not finish yet but it should surpass my raffale ( if all done well )

Quick preview !

uR9DehL.jpg

I delete DCK if you have trouble with it . I just use color not parts .

Nice day on Kerbin .

Hey @exbyde, how do you arrange aircraft starting positions on the runways exactly? I've noticed that starting configuration may have some effect on the formation the fighters use when heading towards each other, and that I win with some configurations while lose with others due to the formation they take during flight.

Are the three fighters just all in a line behind one another or are they arranged in some triangular manner or whatever? And how close to each other? Or do you not specifically arrange them in any pattern at all?

Edited by Box of Stardust

2 hours ago, ZLM-Master said:

Yop , Everyone !

i'm working on a competitive version of my typhoon . not finish yet but it should surpass my raffale ( if all done well )

Quick preview !

uR9DehL.jpg

I delete DCK if you have trouble with it . I just use color not parts .

Nice day on Kerbin .

DCK isn't well optimized and basically makes the game stutter and run slow. So i would ask you remove if you wouldn't mind.

1 hour ago, Box of Stardust said:

Hey @exbyde, how do you arrange aircraft starting positions on the runways exactly? I've noticed that starting configuration may have some effect on the formation the fighters use when heading towards each other, and that I win with some configurations while lose with others due to the formation they take during flight.

Are the three fighters just all in a line behind one another or are they arranged in some triangular manner or whatever? And how close to each other? Or do you not specifically arrange them in any pattern at all?

See the 8v8 i just did. I started the recording on the ground because the Rafales use flares as soon as they rotate and move landing gear for some reason

they are staggered on either side of the runway, except for the first aircraft which is always center.

1 hour ago, dundun93 said:

ComicSansIconC_H.png

Just now, Box of Stardust said:

@exbyde Ah, okay, so I assume for the 3v3s, you do the front #1 in the center, then the #2 back to the left (or right), then the #3 behind the #2 and on the other side of #1.

Number 1 is center rear (right where the computer places), number two is left center, number three is right forward. 

Slight addendum to the rules. Really just reflects stuff i've said in the past.

5a. Use of Da Vinci Combat Kit (DCK) is not permitted due to in-game performance hits and jitteryness, and due to upcoming stealth systems introductions.

5b. I may ask for part removal based around mods that do not serve a combat purpose, or are not usable by BDAc. This includes Infernal robotics, Attachment systems, and ejection seat modifications.

5c. Mods that contain parts that introduce tactical advantages, such as radar invisibility, may be permitted if part of a larger package, but said parts are not. BDAC should be the only source of radar jammers.

8a. Aircraft designers are solely responsible for the modification of their aircraft. Do not ask me to modify your aircraft for you. 

TEMP ADDENDUM: We will not proceed to upgrade to 1.4 until either 1 month after its release (April 6) or until the mods currently on the roster are updated (airplane plus, BDAc) for use with 1.4.

Edited by exbyde

Alright, and final battle of the night, we have the Viper from @Box of Stardust against @goduranus Box of Rabbid Squirrels. So who will win, squirrels or vipers?

The smaller form factor and stubbier wing of the Rabid Squirrel makes it very maneuverable in the pitch axis, giving it a big one-up on the Viper. Despite some very enthusiastic shooting from the Viper in the last fight, the Squirrels hold their ground, and the Viper will retain a very respectable #3 spot. Congrats!

19 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Alright, and final battle of the night, we have the Viper from @Box of Stardust against @goduranus Box of Rabbid Squirrels. So who will win, squirrels or vipers?

The smaller form factor and stubbier wing of the Rabid Squirrel makes it very maneuverable in the pitch axis, giving it a big one-up on the Viper. Despite some very enthusiastic shooting from the Viper in the last fight, the Squirrels hold their ground, and the Viper will retain a very respectable #3 spot. Congrats!

Those damn Rabid Squirrels lol. It gets hard to tune fighters to fight the top of the leaderboard, and I never spent much time tuning the Viper. TFD and Rabid Squirrel almost require different tunes to beat... and Du-3 in the mix didn't help either. I didn't realize the threat of the Du-3 until fights started again recently and hadn't tested against them much. I've now been tuning the PEGASys-D this entire time, and tuning against the Du-3 usually loses against the TFD, and the RS fight between them always ends up somewhere in between in results; a tune against the TFD will lose against the Du-3 and again, RS results in between. Even worse now, I have to tune to beat the Viper lol.

I would've won that second fight if it weren't for the Sidewinder teamkill at the start lol. That happened with somewhat alarming frequency in testing too.

6 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Those damn Rabid Squirrels lol. It gets hard to tune fighters to fight the top of the leaderboard, and I never spent much time tuning the Viper. TFD and Rabid Squirrel almost require different tunes to beat... and Du-3 in the mix didn't help either. I didn't realize the threat of the Du-3 until fights started again recently and hadn't tested against them much. I've now been tuning the PEGASys-D this entire time, and tuning against the Du-3 usually loses against the TFD, and the RS fight between them always ends up somewhere in between in results. Even worse now, I have to tune to beat the Viper lol.

I would've won that second fight if it weren't for the Sidewinder teamkill at the start lol. That happened with somewhat alarming frequency in testing too.

Those squirrels have been on there for a long time. It takes a LOT to get a #2 fighter off the boards, especially now with this much refinement. Don't sell yourself short, getting a #3 spot is a pretty big accomplishment. Refine your designs, test more, and you'll go far.

A tip though, four AIM-9s may be a bit excessive. Drop to two, and you'll probably have better results, since you'll be carrying fewer into battle. I'd also mount as close to center as possible to help with roll moment.

Edited by exbyde

19 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Phew!

5 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Those damn Rabid Squirrels lol. It gets hard to tune fighters to fight the top of the leaderboard, and I never spent much time tuning the Viper. TFD and Rabid Squirrel almost require different tunes to beat... and Du-3 in the mix didn't help either. I didn't realize the threat of the Du-3 until fights started again recently and hadn't tested against them much. I've now been tuning the PEGASys-D this entire time, and tuning against the Du-3 usually loses against the TFD, and the RS fight between them always ends up somewhere in between in results. Even worse now, I have to tune to beat the Viper lol.

This is why you should stop bragging. You said your plane could beat any airplane on the leaderboard, but it didn't start a chance against the rabbit.(much less the TFD).

1 minute ago, dundun93 said:

Phew!

This is why you should stop bragging. You said your plane could beat any airplane on the leaderboard, but it didn't start a chance against the rabbit.(much less the TFD).

A. He has a second design on the queue for testing.
B. Lets keep it friendly. 

13 minutes ago, dundun93 said:

Phew!

I never bragged. I just reported on my testing results, and never explicitly stated full dominance over the other aircraft tested against.

The Viper had a fighting chance against the RS; second battle shows it. Unfortunately, that battle was skewed by a teamkill by Sidewinder, so it couldn't push it to a 3rd match.

Lastly, most of my testing has gone into the second aircraft, which I'm still working on and is admittedly is getting harder and harder to tune against the leaderboard, given the array of different fighting styles of the top 4. A tune against the TFD could totally work against it, but wouldn't even get past the Du-3.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.