Add multiplayer on Steam

Multiplayer has been discussed many times here.

While it would be cool, there are many problems as well.

Here's one such thread that should give you an idea of why multiplayer in KSP hasn't happened yet.

5 hours ago, theUnforgiven said:

especially on Steam as their servers can handle all this,

err..not so quickly. There is a big difference between "Steam have servers" and "Steam's server is available to host [game]"

In any case, that is just one of the many issues to implement multiplayer in KSP. Adding my voice to the suggestion above: take a look at one of the many threads about the subject to have an idea of the complexity of the task.

5 hours ago, theUnforgiven said:

Not sure if this has been discussed before

It has. To death. Literally all over the place.

Try DarkMultiPlayer (DMP) or the up-and-coming LunaMultiPlayer (LMP) that aims to replace it.

Edited by Greenfire32

On 2/7/2018 at 6:36 AM, theUnforgiven said:

Steam as their servers can handle all this

Issue is most Steam servers are for Steam operations- such as sending information about the Steam store and receiving and transmitting secure information containing confidential information like bank account information and transactions. Steam servers aren't built to handle game servers, nor are optimized to.

Now if you're thinking about TF2 or CS:GO servers that Valve hosts, then that's entirely different as Steam is owned by Valve and is not operated by the same people. Even then, Valve only hosts servers for games they own (TF2, CS:GO, etc). With these servers (to my knowledge) not being for rent by other companies for their games. Not that it would matter as the servers are likely built with hardware specifically selected to optimize server hosting of their games. With KSP being a Unity based game and Valve games being hosted on their Source Game Engine.

That all said,  I'd be really peeved if Squad/T2 finally brought multiplayer to the game and provided it solely to Steam owners leaving those of us who bought KSP through their store or GoG out in the cold. But something tells me that they haven't even considered such a notion.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.