Star Wars Episode VIII (8) the Last Jedi Discussion

Kerbal01

4 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I just don't get this movie... I can't understand it it bugs me.

Watch the video I just posted.  It bugs you because it defies Chekov's gun.  

1 minute ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I'm saying I don't understand how people can like it

I liked it because it defied tropes, like the chekov's gun.  I don't wish every star wars was like that though, but it was nice to have something different.  

I finally had to look up exactly what a Mary Sue is, and the wiki says: 

Erik Kain in Forbes magazine defines Mary Sue and argues that Rey's abilities do not make her one, given the details of her allegedly established backstory.[30]

A lightsaber wouldn't be that much different than a staff, aside from being careful not to touch yourself with it.And she'd be dead without knowing how to defend herself with her staff. But where did she learn how to operate a starship? The actual piloting. though incredible,  can always be Force-guided

6 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I finally had to look up exactly what a Mary Sue is, and the wiki says: 

A lightsaber wouldn't be that much different than a staff, aside from being careful not to touch yourself with it.And she'd be dead without knowing how to defend herself with her staff. But where did she learn how to operate a starship? The actual piloting. though incredible,  can always be Force-guided

Seriously. Ok so Luke can hit people with a fist so can he spin a lightsaber around WELL ENOUGH TO BEAT A HIGHLY TRAINED SITH. Sure I'm proficient my self with Force Fx Lightsabers, I can't beat a Olympic Fencer! Force guided... sure... to a extent, Luke was force guided AND TRAINED and yet he got his hand chopped off. Their is a difference between Skill and Experiance. Skill only goes so far you need Training AND EXPERIANCE. So Rey has none. 

14 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

has it occurred to anyone the Jedi are dead?

The old Jedi, yes. Like wanted that order to end because of its terrible mistakes during the Clone Wars (the Temple Bombing/Ahsoka’s trial, letting The Senate rise to power, etc) but also how its flaws leaked into Luke’s order as well. I’m assuming a new Jedi Order could be like the Guardians of the Whills: neither devoted to the Light or Dark side, but rather in the middle. 

10 hours ago, razark said:

I'm starting to get a strange feeling that you might not have been that happy with the film.

Hide contents

WTDnnwE.gif

Yes I didn't like it and you know that

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

The Force isn't. It will choose new jedies, even better than previous.

What? Lightside Users are not always Jedi. Jedi are a Order of people you use the Lightside... If both Rey and Kylo die then the Galaxy need to start from scratch with the force, what I mean is that their are no trained people to teach everyone. Oh that won't be a problem I'm sure when a charachter sees a book with the word Jedi on it they will instantly become Yoda, sound familiar. 

This movie makes everything until now pointless. Why didn't New Republic didn't want to defend against the First Order. I mean that's like if the US didn't want to defend against Britain and just rely on the Veterans from the Revolutionary war. (yes I know about the war of 1812) 

You may as well call the First Order the Galactic Empire, that's exactly what it is. All those struggles with the Rebellion and Empire 4-6 were pointless. 1-3 who cares. The whole point of the Prequils was to build the world and the lore for Ep 4-6 to be better. The Clone Wars show showed the rise and fall of Anakin brilliantly. Explained the relationship to the Jedi Order really well and Obi Wan too. Why bother, all of it the Clone Wars, Civil War, it was pointless. We gained absolutely nothing from it. All that's left of the Resistance right now is a few Soilders Leia Rey and Chewbacca on a small ship! 

Whats the Point of it all.

Please stop treating this like it's the Old Republic Era where we don't know that much about. This is only 30 year after the main events of Star Wars. I can't understand why the only people in the Galaxy who have weapons are smugglers, the first order and the resistance! For some reason I think many more people would be in the Resistance. But nope. 

7 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

The old Jedi, yes. Like wanted that order to end because of its terrible mistakes during the Clone Wars (the Temple Bombing/Ahsoka’s trial, letting The Senate rise to power, etc) but also how its flaws leaked into Luke’s order as well. I’m assuming a new Jedi Order could be like the Guardians of the Whills: neither devoted to the Light or Dark side, but rather in the middle. 

Seriously. Do you think your Native Country has NEVER Made a mistake. You want the Jedi to End because Ashoka friend  changed sides? And because they let a capable LEGISLATIVE BODY RULE THEIR REPUBLIC during a war against the the Jedis Sole Enemy. Come on Sidious was in Disguise it's not like they new and said oh well. Are you mad that the Sons of Liberty let the Continental Congress form and that they tarred and feathered people early in the war. I don't support the Tar and Feathering ok, but I still think the Sons of Liberty helped form the First Country that was a combination of a Republic and Democracy. So your want  10,000 Jedi to die because, of a trial of Ashoka when all evidence pointed to her guilt. Sure they should have been realistic and been like, Ashoka really? Ok but they needed to remain Objective that was their job. 

Im not saying they the Jedi are flawless ok. 

And what you just said proves my point. It was all for nothing. Do you really believe that Mary Sue Rey's Order is going to still be around for Episode X.  Again what we're watching now is also pointless 1-9 and anything in between books and Shows are pointless. Where still going to have the same problems in Episode X. 

Why didn't the Rebels reuse old Rebellion transports and help evacuate everyone. And why does the first order have the PERFECT TOOL FOR THE JOB. 

8 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Jedi are a Order of people you use the Lightside.

Jedi are were (whatever) a Order of people that say they use the Lightside.

11 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

If both Rey and Kylo die then the Galaxy need to start from scratch with the force,

Unless a Plan B is right now (in their time) growing up in some Tatooine sewers, while the jedi Order was considered depleted and became obsolete.

16 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

no trained people to teach everyone

Iirc you were for several pages saying that Rey can everything, though hasn't been trained.
Maybe this is a new politics of the Force: making bets not on orders, but on random NPC characters.
A Monte-Carlo method of the next generation jedi(es) selection.

21 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

All those struggles with the Rebellion and Empire 4-6 were pointless. 1-3 who cares.

28 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Why bother, all of it the Clone Wars, Civil War, it was pointless.

Like almost all wars in the human history.
Very rarely they have indeed changed something, mostly they were a messing around. In this respect SW is very realistic story.

The mentioned SW wars look to be spasms of the agonizing Jedi-Sith dualism. Two orders mired in the narcissism and intrigues.

37 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

We gained absolutely nothing from it.

Like we gained a lot from irl wars.

38 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

All that's left of the Resistance right now is a few Soilders Leia Rey and Chewbacca on a small ship! 

So, the jedi establishment is busted out and can't interfere with Rey's self-improvement.
Just think about this as about a Force conservation law. If there are no more jedies, the Force will fountain throw an available pass. Say, through Rey.
(Also, maybe Chewbacca is in fact a secret guru, a silent Force overseer in that galaxy).

44 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

This is only 30 year after the main events of Star Wars. I can't understand why the only people in the Galaxy who have weapons are smugglers, the first order and the resistance!

Maybe because in 1970s not everebody in a street was bearing arms under clothes? That was only 30 years after WWII.

3 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Jedi are were (whatever) a Order of people that say they use the Lightside.

Unless a Plan B is right now (in their time) growing up in some Tatooine sewers, while the jedi Order was considered depleted and became obsolete.

Iirc you were for several pages saying that Rey can everything, though hasn't been trained.
Maybe this is a new politics of the Force: making bets not on orders, but on random NPC characters.
A Monte-Carlo method of the next generation jedi(es) selection.

Like almost all wars in the human history.
Very rarely they have indeed changed something, mostly they were a messing around. In this respect SW is very realistic story.

The mentioned SW wars look to be spasms of the agonizing Jedi-Sith dualism. Two orders mired in the narcissism and intrigues.

Like we gained a lot from irl wars.

So, the jedi establishment is busted out and can't interfere with Rey's self-improvement.
Just think about this as about a Force conservation law. If there are no more jedies, the Force will fountain throw an available pass. Say, through Rey.
(Also, maybe Chewbacca is in fact a secret guru, a silent Force overseer in that galaxy).

Maybe because in 1970s not everebody in a street was bearing arms under clothes? That was only 30 years after WWII.

Not true, in the 1970s The US and Soviet Union had 30,000 nukes each and gun control wasn't really a thing so many US citizens had guns. 

I didn't say all did but many did

Remember NO THEORYS just blindly follow Disney, that's what they told us peasants to do. So Chewbacca is who e says he is. If Rey and Kylo are both dead and don't train anyone their is NO PLAN A MUCH LESS PLAN B. I'm fine with a randomizer like force. But everyone still needs to train, can you give me a reason why Rey is that powerful. and Don't Say RAW POWAA!

Your statement about 1970s is wrong. I'm trying to understand why NO ONE In The galaxy except the Resistance is capable of beating the First Order. In the 70s many people could defend themselves. Israel for example could defend against a New pedant force for example. Atleast for a little while.

Just now, kerbiloid said:
  Hide contents

washingtonsquareparkarchsingergraffiti.j

Hide contents

original.jpg

Not that I see an infantry here.

Oh my. I didn't mean they carried it on them. You picked a news report and a city. I'm talking about the country. Listen your missing the point. In Star Wars no one Legally has weapons except the resistance, sorry Falcon crew. In the 1970s many people had Rifles. They might have been wall decorations. But they still had them. They would defend against a soviet invasion. Again I didn't say everyone much less city people. 

I saiid many that would be 1 in 50 perhaps. Maby it 1 in 200 it doesn't matter many people had it 

12 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

In Star Wars no one Legally has weapons except the resistance

I'm afraid, the Resistance is exactly they who have the weapon legally in the least degree.

12 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

In the 1970s many people had Rifles

And most of them with locked automatic fire? Why there are "military" and "civil" models of the weapon?
Would they arm themselves if mobilized - or would they leave all their weaponry at home and take what would be given?

People in SW don't have weapon probably because having weapon would make more troubles for them than really protect from something.
Like almost all people in history. The posts of sheriff and his deputies didn't appear just because.

For example, don't forget that (afaik) there was no civil war in 1970s, and the military forces didn't shoot everyone who had a rifle thinking that he is a rebel.
In SW universe they did.
(Can you remember at least one episode when the stormtroopers asked somebody for the weapons license?)

Edited by kerbiloid

1 minute ago, kerbiloid said:

I'm afraid, the Resistance is exactly they who have the weapon legally in the least degree.

And most of them with locked automatic fire? Why there are "military" and "civil" models of the weapon?
Would they arm themselves if mobilized - or would they leave all their weaponry at home and take what would be given?

People in SW don't have weapon probably because having weapon would make more troubles for them than really protect from something.
Like almost all people in history. The posts of sheriff and his deputies didn't appear just because.

For example, don't forget that (afaik) there was no civil war in 1970s, and the military forces didn't shoot everyone who had a rifle thinking that he is a rebel. In SW universe they did.

It's a GALAXY! Seriously. What do you think they had blaster burning events?

Come one why is NO ONE HELPING!

1 minute ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

It's a GALAXY!

It's a known part of their galaxy.
We are galaxy, too. Because this is the only planet with somebody we know.
Until we meet somebody thinking that they are the galaxy.

4 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

What do you think they had blaster burning events?

I think that blasters don't grow on trees.  And it doesn't look like the SW rebels steal every gun from a drunken galaxy cop. They get whole shipments, and this can be traced.

7 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Come one why is NO ONE HELPING!

Do we know anything about the SW population economics and daily life?

1 minute ago, kerbiloid said:

It's a known part of their galaxy.
We are galaxy, too. Because this is the only planet with somebody we know.
Until we meet somebody thinking that they are the galaxy.

I think that blasters don't grow on trees.  And it doesn't look like the SW rebels steal every gun from a drunken galaxy cop. They get whole shipments, and this can be traced.

Do we know anything about the SW population economics and daily life?

Watch the Clone Wars. 

I'm all around sick of this. 

Your not listen. Why is NOBODY in a population of Trillions willing to help. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.