[WIP] Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

Regarding support for older KSP versions : https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/7210

Might be easier to give it different name. Something like "IR Next Legacy" for older KSP releases 1.4.0 - 1.7.0. and current name for latest available KSP release. It should be easier to solve separate dependencies and you can keep same code base and version number for each of IR releases.

5 hours ago, Lookerksy said:

Hi, Author. I wonder if you will make new IR parts based on the DLC "Breaking Ground Expansion"? Thanks.

*um*... sorry, I don't understand the question :/

we are currently testing how our servos work with KAL-1000 (seems to go well), the new action groups (I hope I didn't forget one) and ... oh yes, Canadarm-2 is possible with our new LEE/GF classes... they seem to work pretty well (at least in my tests)... what else? ... we still have some symmetry bugs (values not applied to all parts... really not a big thing, but I'd like to have it perfect :) ) ... oh yes, we have a new texture format now ...

I can't say yet if we will have a pre-release of this or only the release a little bit later...

Edited by Rudolf Meier

On 5/20/2019 at 4:18 PM, Rudolf Meier said:

yes, this bug is known, and I'm working on it... try to put the speed and acceleration to a maximum, then they are (slowly) able to move... I have to tweak the values a little bit

I am sorry, what do you mean "put the speed and acceleration to a maximum"?

for all those with non moving servos

1) do you use KJR? if yes, which one? ONLY KJR Next is compatible with IR Next and you should use 4.0.10 or later -> if you uninstall an other version, make sure you deleted the folder first before you copy the KJR Next folder into your GameData

2) if it still doesn't move it could be the autostruts ... turn them off ... all of them, they sometimes ignore what IR servos return when they are asked if this joint is a moving joint and if it's allowed to build a strut accross it (you have the same problem with the DLC robotic parts by the way, this is not an IR problem)

3) if you have turned them off and still it doesn't move, it could be that there are still autostruts (some are always there... those going to wheels and landing legs -> they are always autostrutted to the heaviest part) ... make sure your design doesn't have a problem with that (this is a thing that IR could do better in the future by simply destroying those autostruts and not doing it "the correct ksp way")

4) if nothing helps -> install the debug version of KJR Next and turn on the visualization of all joints... green ones are ok, all others shouldn't be accross a servo if it's not locked... check out if you see something that's not good

for all those autostrut problems I think Squad saw, they have a problem and it seems they are working on it (maybe... who knows if those reports are correct and who knows if what they do helps?) ... so... I still hope it's getting better one day

Ahh...i just was thinking if IR parts could work with the kal1000. Im glad to see im not the only one with the same question. Have we come to a conclusion? Will we see an update to choose which UI we can use?

I see a master/slave mod just got a prerelease. So im super excited to try my hand at making arms n legs now

8 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

Ahh...i just was thinking if IR parts could work with the kal1000. Im glad to see im not the only one with the same question. Have we come to a conclusion? Will we see an update to choose which UI we can use?

I see a master/slave mod just got a prerelease. So im super excited to try my hand at making arms n legs now

the update will be released when all is done... doesn't take long, but some days are possible

I don't know if the SlaveDrive mod will be compatible to IR... and somehow I don't think it will be, but ... development goes on and maybe we add other features to our mod

currently we concentrate on the next update... I don't want to relase unfinished stuff, because bugs are no fun

Just now, Rudolf Meier said:

the update will be released when all is done... doesn't take long, but some days are possible

I don't know if the SlaveDrive mod will be compatible to IR... and somehow I don't think it will be, but ... development goes on and maybe we add other features to our mod

currently we concentrate on the next update... I don't want to relase unfinished stuff, because bugs are no fun

No worries buddy. Im not poking the mod bears, take your time. Quality over rushed release is what i like to see.

I just wanted to see what the current news is. Breaking ground is a gamechanger sorta since IR was one of the only robotic mods we have for ksp. To read it could work seemlessly with stock is amazing. Ive never been very good with the IR sequencer but this new one from the kal1000 seems to make sense to me a little bit more.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Meier said:

1) do you use KJR? if yes, which one? ONLY KJR Next is compatible with IR Next and you should use 4.0.10 or later -> if you uninstall an other version, make sure you deleted the folder first before you copy the KJR Next folder into your GameData

2) if it still doesn't move it could be the autostruts ... turn them off ... all of them, they sometimes ignore what IR servos return when they are asked if this joint is a moving joint and if it's allowed to build a strut accross it (you have the same problem with the DLC robotic parts by the way, this is not an IR problem)

3) if you have turned them off and still it doesn't move, it could be that there are still autostruts (some are always there... those going to wheels and landing legs -> they are always autostrutted to the heaviest part) ... make sure your design doesn't have a problem with that (this is a thing that IR could do better in the future by simply destroying those autostruts and not doing it "the correct ksp way")

4) if nothing helps -> install the debug version of KJR Next and turn on the visualization of all joints... green ones are ok, all others shouldn't be accross a servo if it's not locked... check out if you see something that's not good

for all those autostrut problems I think Squad saw, they have a problem and it seems they are working on it (maybe... who knows if those reports are correct and who knows if what they do helps?) ... so... I still hope it's getting better one day

Unfortunately you can't turn off autostrut on KSP Wheels.

1 minute ago, Boyanski said:

Unfortunately you can't turn off autostrut on KSP Wheels.

that's it... I'd say that's a bug

and that's why I was thinking about destroying those autostruts when I detect them... but haven't decided yet what I will do

the only thing I know is, that the DLC robotic parts do have exactely the same problem and this is why I think Squad will do something... somewhen

41 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

the only thing I know is, that the DLC robotic parts do have exactely the same problem and this is why I think Squad will do something... somewhen

Or perhaps they will do something when you fix it on IR/Next !! ;) 

1 hour ago, Rudolf Meier said:

Ok so step 4 actually did something for me. However, parts now move uncontrollably without touching anything. Using KJR, i see that the joints that run through the servos are green. There are some purple ones, but they don't pass through the servos

2 minutes ago, Boyanski said:

Ok so step 4 actually did something for me. However, parts now move uncontrollably without touching anything. Using KJR, i see that the joints that run through the servos are green. There are some purple ones, but they don't pass through the servos

they should also not run from a child to a parent of that servo

and... I don't have this here... no uncontrolled behaviour... except if you have installed multiple KJR versions at the same time or if you have autostruts active and KJR installed

6 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

they should also not run from a child to a parent of that servo

and... I don't have this here... no uncontrolled behaviour... except if you have installed multiple KJR versions at the same time or if you have autostruts active and KJR installed

So, can i change where the joints run through? Also i can't fully disable autostrut, KSP doesn't let you do it for wheels.

Edited by Boyanski

13 minutes ago, Boyanski said:

So, can i change where the joints run through? Also i can't fully disable autostrut, KSP doesn't let you do it for wheels.

believe it or not... but KJR Next is not the problem... that's almost sure

do you have just one dll in the KerbalJointReinforcement/Plugin folder? and could you send us a screenshot? with disabled first option but all others enabled (KJR Next debug)

1 minute ago, Rudolf Meier said:

do you have just one dll in the KerbalJointReinforcement/Plugin folder? and could you send us a screenshot? with disabled first option but all others enabled (KJR Next debug)

Are you talking about the KJR Menu with the boxes? 

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

Sorry for so many replies, i have two .dll files in the Plugin folder. 

5 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

kjrjoint.dll and kerbaljointreinforcementnext.dll? ... that would be correct

and yes... KJR menu with the boxes

Yes, those two .dll files. Should i delete one of them? And this is the screenshot with the KJR Menu. 546C71033A5B5A0EED1A6CF6A84B6B65C342D2EA1A2711D15A235F6FEE5130CD4549425ADF3AA279

Edited by Boyanski

Probably can't see it in the picture, but there is an antenna that uses a Rotatron and a Joint Pivotron to move, and the rocket in the back is rotated with a Rotatron. As i've said these parts work fine in the VAB/SPH but not on the launchpad/runway.

1 minute ago, Rudolf Meier said:

those parts in the front seem to be the uncontrolled ones... they don't have a motor... you cannot move them

those in the back I don't see

I am sorry, what do you mean by motor? I actually got them to move with your help, but they move very randomly and the IR menu glitches.

2 minutes ago, Boyanski said:

I am sorry, what do you mean by motor? I actually got them to move with your help, but they move very randomly and the IR menu glitches.

there are parts with and without motor... some can move some not... in the VAB/SPH you can move all of them (for construction it's handy and you can also put them into a specific position and lock them like that) ... but in flight, those uncontrolled parts cannot move... except by... gravitation, drag, other outer forces...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.