How to get early versions

Which version should I start with?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

The problem is that Squad is not supporting pre-historic versions anymore. As a result they have no motive to have it available for players.  

There's a good chance that what is on steam* (actual and "most recent stable" versions) is all you can get now.

*or whatever shop you got the game. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think that this goes back to beta, and I wish it would (I was lucky enough to save a copy, but don't ask: you can't have it from me).

Beta was pretty much the final edition of clearly developing design of KSP, one with mad science and pancake-based designs.  Most of which followed some really bad physics (and KSP has always been about rocket science: ignoring physics was simply the wrong path).  But it was fun.  Boy was it fun (not necessarily better than the released edition.  Just that learning to create aerodynamically stable rockets after thinking we understood "rocket science" wasn't the most enjoyable process Squad has put us through).

1.2 might be less buggy, but is basically just an advanced edition of 1.0.4 (and 1.0.4 is just a series of bug fixes from 1.0.0).  .90 was *different*.  It had the souposphere, it computed air resistance by component (i.e. it didn't care about streamlining *at* *all*), and it didn't begin to require aerodynamic stability.  Launch at TWR=2.0 and *maintian* that to about 10,000 meters, then turn 45 degrees and max your thrust.  Not responsible for any bad habits gained in ancient code.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.