'Battery power is better using Microsoft Edge'?

Chel

Hello. While researching/procrastinating today I came across a battery saving area on Microsoft. It says:

• Use Microsoft Edge for browsing. Tests show that when browsing with Microsoft Edge, your battery lasts 36-53% longer per charge than when browsing with Chrome, Firefox, or Opera on Windows 10

I am wondering how they 'tested' this, and if it is actually true. I do have Edge on my computer, but don't use it as every couple of minutes it says 'a file was reset because it had an asset that wasn't working' or something like that. And I haven't really noticed any difference in battery usage when using Edge instead of Chrome, so is the claim of 'Using Edge saves battery' true?

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

You can pretty much ignore anything that says "Tests have shown" if they don't cite the tests themselves.

Especially if it's a company telling you that their product did the best.

you cant even trust third party reviewers anymore.

in a capitalist society, advertising is propaganda.

Edited by Nuke

On 3/4/2018 at 10:28 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Tests show that when browsing with Microsoft Edge, your battery lasts 36-53% longer...

Whether or not it's true, I don't care.

No matter how much longer the battery lasts, even if it was days, it still means you have to use Edge.

I mean, if they offer you a single dollar or a billion, it's still not enough to stick your head in a woodchipper.

13 hours ago, Nuke said:

you cant even trust third party reviewers anymore.

in a capitalist society, advertising is propaganda.

There are good reasons why ofcom doesn't allow even mentioning of brands.

13 hours ago, dundun92 said:

Firefox > Chrome > Edge

I'd say :

Reliability :

Chrome => Firefox

Memory usage (as low as possible) :

Firefox > Chrome

Microsoft Edge is, well, I won't talk much, I haven't used it and I won't use it unless someone wants to dodge the NoScript and HTTPS Everywhere on my laptop's Firefox.

On 05/03/2018 at 11:28 AM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Tests show that when browsing with Microsoft Edge, your battery lasts 36-53% longer per charge

Even more true with a very dim monitor, regardless of browser. If you want your laptop to last whole night observing, don't forget to dim it down. And airplane mode.

Edited by YNM

8 hours ago, YNM said:

Microsoft Edge is, well, I won't talk much, I haven't used it and I won't use it unless someone wants to dodge the NoScript and HTTPS Everywhere on my laptop's Firefox.

I can't use edge even if I wanted to... I run Win 7.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.