KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

Hello there

First of all i want to say i love the mod but since i updated it i cant seem to play it. Basically what happens in on the loading screen it gets to GameData\WarpPlugin\Spaces\sci\internal and freezes up. I then tried it with a fresh install and that still doesn't work.

Any help would be much appreciated

4 hours ago, handsome matt32 said:

Hello there

First of all i want to say i love the mod but since i updated it i cant seem to play it. Basically what happens in on the loading screen it gets to GameData\WarpPlugin\Spaces\sci\internal and freezes up. I then tried it with a fresh install and that still doesn't work.

Any help would be much appreciated

did you update both?, intersteller and fuel switch, are ther any other mods installed?,if so remove them and just try intersteller and fuel switch, and see what happens

i went back a few pages and i didnt see anything mentioned but my phased arrays seemed to have lost the option to have them relay.. was this intentional? 

the ones i already had in orbit relaying ka microwaves still work.. but the new ones i put in orbit only have the option to activate receiver or transmitter and link for relay.. i tried link for relay but its not doing anything and the relay number doesnt go up.

11 hours ago, mrgreco said:

did you update both?, intersteller and fuel switch, are ther any other mods installed?,if so remove them and just try intersteller and fuel switch, and see what happens

Updated them both and then tried it on there one any still the same thing is happening but its now a different path, the new path is GameData\WarpPlugin\Spaces\sci\internal\crewtestInternals

Can anyone help me out with waste heat management using an upgraded Antimatter reactor. I'm putting up my first beamed power network starting with an Upgraded AM reactor. Maybe I'm misunderstanding waste heat management but it KSPIE heat management tab says its outputting 1000 GW of heat and using 16 upgraded graphene radiators, Im only hitting 100 GW of that. Am I going to need 160 of the things to make it work or resize them? Maybe I just dont get it but it seem like 160 radiators to cool one reactor just seems a little out of balance. Iv been watching videos of people launch them into orbit with 4 radiators...am I just doing something wrong here? lol

*NM I reread back to a post Freethinker made regarding thermal power.

Edited by Heyo!!

1 hour ago, Heyo!! said:

Can anyone help me out with waste heat management using an upgraded Antimatter reactor. I'm putting up my first beamed power network starting with an Upgraded AM reactor. Maybe I'm misunderstanding waste heat management but it KSPIE heat management tab says its outputting 1000 GW of heat and using 16 upgraded graphene radiators, Im only hitting 100 GW of that. Am I going to need 160 of the things to make it work or resize them? Maybe I just dont get it but it seem like 160 radiators to cool one reactor just seems a little out of balance. Iv been watching videos of people launch them into orbit with 4 radiators...am I just doing something wrong here? lol

*NM I reread back to a post Freethinker made regarding thermal power.

Tweak scale is here for something.

i have a question, is it posible to take Wasteheat and convert it to energy, or to store it in a container, or use a form of liquid cooled device that uses nitrogin to cool reactors down, now this device would use alot of coolent and electric power to run, now im not sayin its going to remove all the wasteheat but lets say 50% and the rest rads, coz i really hate cunsuming my vessels with rads, it looks silly, just an idea,,,,, good luck and fly well 

the reason i bring this up is that i have to limit my part count, and im sure other people would like to use a liquid cooled device that cools reactors, or converts wasteheat into power or whatever

Edited by mrgreco

Hi Everybody,

Some time ago I posted that I finally got beamed power figured out enough to actually start using it.
I took a break from that and did an asteroid encounter for some tourists (needed the cash)
When I came back, the output on my reactors was way down. 
Then the upgrade hit and it took a while to get everything working again.
Is there something I'm not seeing that's messing with my system?
(I noticed the xenon tanks were full. So I dumped them, just in case. Doing that didn't help)

https://imgur.com/a/2Y0Xd

For the record, I'm running KSP 1.3.1 with KSPIE 1.16.1 and about 60 other mods.
That being said, this problem developed before the last KSP upgrade and the last several versions of KSPIE

Edited by tmbomber

3 hours ago, tmbomber said:

Hi Everybody,

Some time ago I posted that I finally got beamed power figured out enough to actually start using it.
I took a break from that and did an asteroid encounter for some tourists (needed the cash)
When I came back, the output on my reactors was way down. 
Then the upgrade hit and it took a while to get everything working again.
Is there something I'm not seeing that's messing with my system?
(I noticed the xenon tanks were full. So I dumped them, just in case. Doing that didn't help)

https://imgur.com/a/2Y0Xd

For the record, I'm running KSP 1.3.1 with KSPIE 1.16.1 and about 60 other mods.
That being said, this problem developed before the last KSP upgrade and the last several versions of KSPIE

Possibly you have installed Near Future Electric, which will reduce all power output by 1/500. But that isn't necessarily bad because all power consumption is also reduced by the same amount.

Edited by FreeThinker

8 hours ago, mrgreco said:

i have a question, is it posible to take Wasteheat and convert it to energy, or to store it in a container, or use a form of liquid cooled device that uses nitrogin to cool reactors down, now this device would use alot of coolent and electric power to run, now im not sayin its going to remove all the wasteheat but lets say 50% and the rest rads, coz i really hate cunsuming my vessels with rads, it looks silly, just an idea,,,,, good luck and fly well 

the reason i bring this up is that i have to limit my part count, and im sure other people would like to use a liquid cooled device that cools reactors, or converts wasteheat into power or whatever

Even though colling with cryogenic resources might work for a short time, the problem is that it would not solve the fundamental problem which is getting rid of the massive amount of wasteheat. The best strategy in general is to prevent massive wastewheat to be build up in the first place, opting for the most efficient reactor schemes and engines producing the least amount of waste heat. Notice that convector radiators basicly function on the premise that they use large amount of air to get rid of wasteheat. This is what allows them to get rid of 50 times the wasteheat compaired to passive radiator (for the same surface area), but they only work in the atmosphere or when submerged. 

Edited by FreeThinker

7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Even though colling with cryogenic resources might work for a short time, the problem is that it would not solve the fundamental problem which is getting rid of the massive amount of wasteheat. The best strategy in general is to prevent massive wastewheat to be build up in the first place, opting for the most efficient reactor schemes and engines producing the least amount of waste heat. Notice that convector radiators basicly function on the premise that they use large amount of air to get rid of wasteheat. This is what allows them to get rid of 50 times the wasteheat compaired to passive radiator (for the same surface area), but they only work in the atmosphere or when submerged. 

whats the best way to remove wasteheat in space, also to isint space like -150, you would think bein in space ther would be no problum getting rid of heat

12 hours ago, mrgreco said:

is it posible to take Wasteheat and convert it to energy,

no. this is wat is left after conversion to used energy

12 hours ago, mrgreco said:

use a form of liquid cooled device

stock rad are liquid cooled devices' by description

3 minutes ago, mrgreco said:

whats the best way to remove wasteheat in space, also to isint space like -150, you would think bein in space ther would be no problum getting rid of heat

no convection in space
only radiated
a very slow process of losing heat by black bode radiation
only works fast for things like the sun that are very hot :)

Edited by danielboro

3 hours ago, danielboro said:

no. this is wat is left after conversion to used energy

stock rad are liquid cooled devices' by description

no convection in space
only radiated
a very slow process of losing heat by black bode radiation
only works fast for things like the sun that are very hot :)

whyyyyy thank you sir

In 99% if all science fiction movies and series, they never show any radiators. Either they use some arcane near 100% efficiency reactors, or they simply pretend it doesn't exist in the first place.

Anybody here that knows stuff about science knows spaceships need some way to dump waste heat, since there is no air to conduct thermal energy to.

People will tell you that you never see them in science fiction movies (even harder scifi ones with few exceptions) is because they are ugly.

While that may be true to some extent, I don't really think that's the full story.

The truth is, if you're going to include radiators on a ship, then they have to be big enough for whatever it's doing. Not everybody knows how to calculate that, nor is everybody willing to.

The only other option to avoid ugly, easy to shoot off radiators is to convert 100% of your waste heat into electricity, but I'm almost certain that breaks the conservation of energy theory science holds dear, which I don't think has been proven wrong yet. At the very least, with efficient enough waste heat conversion to electricity (may be actually possible someday with metamaterials), smaller radiator fins could be possible on big ships.

see also : https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/548174/

Edited by FreeThinker

I'm having some problems combining the ISRU with the Aluminum Hybrid Rocket.

Somewhere along the way, the appropriate ISRU option for this rocket seems to have been changed from "Aluminum Electrolysis" (listed in the first post of this thread) to "Spudomene Processing". Spudomene processing produces (among other things) Aluminum and Liquid Oxygen from Spudomene. Fair enough. But places on the Mun that I've visited seem to be 2% or so Spudomene and 45% Alumina, which renders the ISRU/Aluminum Hybrid Rocket combination kind of pointless. It's taking forever to pull in enough Spudomene to run the ISRU.

Is this an oversight in the composition of the Mun with the change to the ISRU, or is there an option in the ISRU to bring back Aluminum Electrolysis that I'm missing? TIA!

i was wondering if it would be posible to have a tab to show the range of beam power or lazer in ther own color, so for example ka band blue color Xband red color,,,,,, and for fuel tank tab to switch fuels, how about pressing a botton and a small tab opens and shows all avaible fuels pick the one you want, click, thats it, insted of clicking and clicking and chasin the botton coz it jumps around :P

Good news! I got the spudomene mining spacecraft working:

norbert-surface.png

It's even drawing the power it needs to run the drill from my beamed power network, so bonus.

Bad news! This crew is stranded on the Mun because I landed on a location with 0% spudomene. Lots of alumina, though.

In related news, the 4435 survey scanner is set up to scan for alumina, not spudomene. But I can't find a part that does anything with alumina.

Hi there,

I'm back to KSP after a while, good to see you keep up your awesone work @FreeThinker .

Got a question about plasma reactor. As far as i remember (although i might be wrong) it was pretty universal thing. Now it's not.
Ingame description says it should work with different nozzles, but:
It doesn't produce power. Attached generator (no matter which one) uses only ~4% of theoretical supply (reactor is only 4% active).
It doesn't provide thermal thrust. After attaching thermal/plasma nozzle, reactor is active only in 2%.
The only way i found to unleash the fury is to use it with magnetic nozzle. Activity goes to 100% then.

Is this intended? did I miss something? or it's my beloved bugs just saying hello?

Edit: Of course by plasma reactor I meant antimatter reactor :wink:

Edited by falcoon

15 minutes ago, mrgreco said:

The Canadain Antimatter space station,,,, AKA the money makerGGm6igT.png

Jool/Jupiter orbit is best for it.... you could produce easily hundreds of GW to few TW with antimatter initiated reactors.

Also proximity to gas giant means that you can easily get deuterium/helium3

Edited by raxo2222

6 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Jool/Jupiter orbit is best for it.... you could produce easily hundreds of GW to few TW with antimatter initiated reactors.

Also proximity to gas giant means that you can easily get deuterium/helium3

oh i know about jool ill be working ther next, but thax for the tip bud, always helps :D

i want this under the VAB 

Image result for particle accelerator collision

i have been playing around with thermal rockets and microwave power and i am confused by some inconsistencies.. 

so i painstakingly put up in orbit 4 80GW ka band microwave transmitters as well as 4 40GW ka band microwave transmitters.. each is build about the same way.. its a antimatter fusion reactor and one of those phased array relay spheres.. at size 5 for the 80GW ones and size 3.75 for the 40GW ones.. i think? anyway.. they produce power and everything is working.. 

i placed those in orbit using the thermal rocket engine and hydrazine fuel..  it was pretty easy.. i only needed one small cryo tank and it got like 5000 dv at 1.6 twr or so.

i also put one on the ground by the runway.

so now.. i build a rocket using the thermal rocket engine, the inline mk1x2 receiver and a cryo tank of hydrazine fuel and my rocket gets a lot of power for a very short amount of time.. it seems to burn up the fuel in a much faster rate than if i use the reactor.. why is this?? 

it sort of makes those inline receivers useless?? 

what am i doing wrong?

9 hours ago, aaronsta1 said:

what am i doing wrong?

Technically your not doing it wrong bug need to understand some of the reasoning behind beamed power technology. The main reason to use beam power technology is a matter of efficiency and cost. Instead of outfitting every vessel with an expansive heavy reactor, you keep the reactor on a ground or space station. Besides lowering the cost of your mission vessels, the reduced mass allows these vessels to reach potentially higher performance than bringing your power source with you. Beamed power should be viewed as kind of space travel infrastructure. It allows vessels to get arround the solar system for only a fraction of the cost then without. Of cource building the infrastructure is expansive but if used properly can significantly make colonisation of the solar system easier.

Another thing you should realize is that thermal receiver is only one of the many receivers and they are potentially most effective on SSTO which ferry cargo from the surface into orbit and back. Once in orbit, you should switch to electric propulsion which can use the beamed power directly to power high-efficiency electronic engines to get you anywhere.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 26.10.2017 at 10:45 AM, falcoon said:

Got a question about plasma reactor. As far as i remember (although i might be wrong) it was pretty universal thing. Now it's not.
Ingame description says it should work with different nozzles, but:
It doesn't produce power. Attached generator (no matter which one) uses only ~4% of theoretical supply (reactor is only 4% active).
It doesn't provide thermal thrust. After attaching thermal/plasma nozzle, reactor is active only in 2%.
The only way i found to unleash the fury is to use it with magnetic nozzle. Activity goes to 100% then.

Is this intended? did I miss something? or it's my beloved bugs just saying hello?

Edit: Of course by plasma reactor I meant antimatter reactor :wink:

Anyone?