Trying to earn experience so Kerbals level up, PS4 EE 1.01

I'm playing KSP Enhanced Edition 1.01 on PS4, Career Mode, normal difficulty, default controls.

My Kerbals seem to have stopped earning experience, "No Experience Gained" after every mission. I've been trying to do things like cycle all the Kerbals to the space station, and Mun base do do their various jobs but I seem to be capping out at level 2.

I have rescued quite a few Kerbals, and they are all very low level, so I'm about to launch a few missions specifically to earn some experience and get them to a useful level.

My space program is about to launch it's first Duna probe, so interplanetary Kerbals aren't happening yet.

After looking at some videos on how to accomplish this, I have a couple questions;

-Do Kerbals gain experience for doing job specific tasks?

-Do all Kerbals on a Mission have to EVA and plant flags on the Mun and Minmus? Or will one flag be enough for the group?

-If I orbit the Mun or Minmus, do I have to come back on a different mission to get the experience for doing a landing? It "seems" that they will only get experience for one thing per celestial body.

-Do my Kerbals all have to orbit Kerbal and then on a different mission plant flags on Kerbal?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated...

27 minutes ago, GrouchyDevotee said:

-Do Kerbals gain experience for doing job specific tasks?

No, they only gain experience for going to new SOIs and doing the standard things there.

-Do all Kerbals on a Mission have to EVA and plant flags on the Mun and Minmus? Or will one flag be enough for the group?

One flag covers all the Kerbals in physics range.

-If I orbit the Mun or Minmus, do I have to come back on a different mission to get the experience for doing a landing? It "seems" that they will only get experience for one thing per celestial body.

Kerbals get the experience for the most points-producing thing they have done in each SOI. Flyby/orbit/atmospheric flight/land/plant flag.

-Do my Kerbals all have to orbit Kerbin and then on a different mission plant flags on Kerbin?

Kerbin is a special case, and you only get points for orbiting, and flight. Not flags.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated...

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Experience

To get to level 3, your kerbals need to travel just outside Kerbin's SOI, so that they are in orbit of the Sun. Do a few experiments, and turn around and come home (via Minmus and the Mun for a few extra points).

Edited by bewing

1 hour ago, bewing said:

Kerbals get the experience for the most points-producing thing they have done in each SOI. Flyby/orbit/atmospheric flight/land/plant flag.

To get to level 3, your kerbals need to travel just outside Kerbin's SOI, so that they are in orbit of the Sun. Do a few experiments, and turn around and come home (via Minmus and the Mun for a few extra points).

I'll definitely be taking them outside Kerbins sphere of influence.

So, if a crew has entered the Muns SOI, orbited the Mun, landed on the Mun, and then planted a flag on the Mun, they will all only get the experience points for planting a flag on the Mun.

In that case my question becomes, are the experience points for each of the other things like, only entering the SOI, then only orbiting, and then only landing, all still available? And must they be collected by only doing those specific things?

So it would be a good strategy to only flyby for one mission, then go and do an orbit for one mission, and then land for one mission, then do it all over again and plant a flag. 

Rinse and repeat for all my Kerbals.

3 minutes ago, GrouchyDevotee said:

I'll definitely be taking them outside Kerbins sphere of influence.

So, if a crew has entered the Muns SOI, orbited the Mun, landed on the Mun, and then planted a flag on the Mun, they will all only get the experience points for planting a flag on the Mun.

In that case my question becomes, are the experience points for each of the other things like, only entering the SOI, then only orbiting, and then only landing, all still available? And must they be collected by only doing those specific things?

So it would be a good strategy to only flyby for one mission, then go and do an orbit for one mission, and then land for one mission, then do it all over again and plant a flag. 

Rinse and repeat for all my Kerbals.

nope they are not cumulative, once you do one of higher importance it "deletes" the old one, you can  find it written in the wiki

The quickest way to level 3 (which is the most you need to perform any tasks. L5 engineers and scientists get bigger bonuses) is to pass through Mun's SOI, leave Kerbin's SOI, come back, land on Minmus, and plant a flag. I used to have a dedicated ship to do it with something like 10 Kerbals.

51 minutes ago, GrouchyDevotee said:

In that case my question becomes, are the experience points for each of the other things like, only entering the SOI, then only orbiting, and then only landing, all still available?

Not for that Kerbal in that SOI, no. Once a Kerbal has gotten credit for a flag in an SOI, then that Kerbal needs to move on to a new SOI for experience.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.