Now Making History is out is Multiplayer next?

sysigy

2 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Can we just make it a bannable offense to talk about multiplayer lol?

If I had a dollar for every one of these threads I've read since I started playing KSP, I'd be the one who owned KSP instead of Take Two.

Fixed. :wink:

I think multiplayer should be implemented.... just not how you are thinking of it.  Let me create contracts that other players can fulfill and will effect my save.

"Jeb is crash landed on Duna.  500k to bring him back home to Kerbin."  If you accept, CSieg's Jeb will be spawned in your game.  Bring him home and you get rewarded just like any other contract.  I get a notification that you saved him, my money disappears, and he disappears from Duna and spawns back in my available roster.

There's your multiplayer... and we just made a positive impact on the lackluster contract system.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:36 AM, Gaarst said:

Who knows? Squad never had a public roadmap, and looking back at the history of KSP I don't think they ever had an internal one either. We'll know what's next when Squad announces what's next, they rarely let any information through before official announcements.

I'd assume that the main internal roadmap walked out the door with Harvester around 1.1 (although "Making History" was announced more or less in 2013).  I'd expect that his vision of KSP is more or less complete and not to expect anything as major as multiplayer added.

The only reason I might expect multiplayer is a push from Take2 insisting that "all games must have multiplayer" (even if they banned at least one mod that provided such).  If Squad is working under such restrictions (because they have to, not because it is feasible), don't expect good results.

multiplayer could be done actually pretty easily but not in a open world sense. instead they could add team based missions with 3 players each getting a random kerbal role or choose your role depending if your flight skills are up to it. each player could play the role given and the pilot would navigate and fly the course and landings. the scientist could test experiments along the way, engineers can maintenance loose parts from rocket shake and fix anything that breaks.

objectives could be used to start a automatic time warp giving all players a chance to fulfill duties. examples could be getting to orbit, performing needed science and if things need to be repaired from lift off. if all players fill objectives the next phase could be burning for planet interception. once interception is complete the players can all agree to a automatic time warp that will bring them to their next objective. obtaining science and routine maintenance while around the sun. given there will not be much for the pilot at this phase maybe they could fill some other cabin duties while scientist and engineer EVA to reset science and fix any need parts. once complete all players can agree on a final time warp to the planets SOI.

the next phase of objectives can be obtaining an orbit, do more science and maintenance  then come down for landing or give the player an optional side quest to land or orbit any moons near by. make players land in specific areas of interest to collect data and send it back. the mission could end somewhere around that area once objectives and goals reached to keep missions on the short side of under 1hr.

maybe have a leader board for competitive players like "fasted to the Mun and back under 12 ton" and meet the objectives so people could compete against other on their own time. 

A system that replicates the old "email a save" could work. You could send craft/stations/missions to and from other players to a master "save" or "world".

No iteration in between swaps, but you could dock ports onto existing stations etc, and when you dock (but before moving the other station) it would ask "do you wish to send this craft and location to play B?"

Personally, I do not expect multi-player in any version of KSP 1.X. But with that said, and with TT/Squad, I can easily see it being a core part of KSP 2.0, and that's where it should be. We cannot just keep expecting them to continue to add features to the game as it currently is. At some point, it would be more feasible to start anew.

The only way I can see any sort of multiplayer working is using a Spore or Dark Souls style.

Content from other players can be dragged in to populate your game, perhaps craft that are in place due to successful contracts, etc. Easily could be explained as being from rival space agencies.

Difficulty settings could define how far and fast these rival agencies expand, giving some aspect of a space race to the game.

Completely sidesteps the griefing/time warp/latency questions.

32 minutes ago, Jimmidii said:

The only way I can see any sort of multiplayer working is using a Spore or Dark Souls style.

Content from other players can be dragged in to populate your game, perhaps craft that are in place due to successful contracts, etc. Easily could be explained as being from rival space agencies.

Difficulty settings could define how far and fast these rival agencies expand, giving some aspect of a space race to the game.

Completely sidesteps the griefing/time warp/latency questions.

On 3/17/2018 at 2:12 PM, CSieg said:

I think multiplayer should be implemented.... just not how you are thinking of it.  Let me create contracts that other players can fulfill and will effect my save.

"Jeb is crash landed on Duna.  500k to bring him back home to Kerbin."  If you accept, CSieg's Jeb will be spawned in your game.  Bring him home and you get rewarded just like any other contract.  I get a notification that you saved him, my money disappears, and he disappears from Duna and spawns back in my available roster.

There's your multiplayer... and we just made a positive impact on the lackluster contract system.

Those ideas could very well work. Also, I can't speak for anyone else, but I actually like this version of MP and would gladly play it. That said, I am still very much opposed to minecraft style MP (as in, playing real time and together instead of just having players work together and not really come into contact).

On 3/16/2018 at 11:36 AM, Dragonwarp said:

since lots of people wold just sabotage launches and make the game suck (unless explosions is what your looking for).

I would actually enjoy that...

3 hours ago, DAL59 said:

I would actually enjoy that...

You're in luck! KSP already allows you to sabotage your launches, no mods or DLC required!

I occasionally do this, although it's usually unintentional...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.