Do you like the new Shock Heating visual effects?

Do you like the new Shock Heating visual effects?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new Shock Heating visual effects?

• Yes, they are awesome!
    • No, they are terrible!
    • Meh, I don't care...

My 2 cents.... I'm sorry, but the new shock heating effects are just awful, they totally obscure the vehicle and look weird and fake from different angles. Also, reducing quality to any of the lower presets seems to just turn it off completely? I know someone must have put some significant effort into it, but the choice to implement them at this stage was not the correct decision

Edited by g00bd0g

Worth specifying whether you're talking about the 1.4 reentry effects, or the 1.4.1.  The version in 1.4 seemed a little overblown, but in 1.4.1 it's rather subdued.  This might be different quality settings; I haven't looked for a setting specific to reetnry effects, and I've already found one setting (advanced tweakables) that didn't follow my 1.3.0 save into 1.4.1.

To my eye, the overblown version in 1.4 looked much like what I'd expect at very high altitudes -- thermosphere or ionosphere, where the air acts more like a collection of individual particles than a continuum fluid.  The linear ray structure fragmenting on every protrusion just looks like that to me.  The old effect, in 1.2.2 to 1.3.1 (possibly older, I've only played for a little over a year) looked more like what I'd expect at somewhat lower altitudes, say upper stratosphere and lower, where the air acts like a fluid.

Generally, I like the way the effect appears in 1.4.1 (or whatever setting change occurred when I installed that version). 

I have not seen mine look that bad yet. The new system has rendering issues. Take a new MK2 out to the launch pad during daylight and switch to cutaway mode. You get this weird partial opacity thing with the window chines and front grill. Game is screwing up and not putting overlays on the correct layer ar blocking layers it should not be. Then give any Kerbal in any pod the new suit and go IVA or use the cutaway and watch them become electro man. Put them next to a Kerbal in stock suit and compare. "Fun Times" I just got my GL shaders fixed for 1.3.1 now here we go again.  

• 1 month later...

it needs some work, since they still haven't totally fixed the translucence bug, and occasionally I'll see weird artifacts, but it does look really cool and it is lighter on your system than the old ones.

They are terrible at anything but a distance. At a distance they look good (see the picture by @Frozen_Heart) and I think probably more representative of what they were aiming for. But at anything closer they are pretty bad. Ignoring the translucency, the main issue is the weird "artifacts" (see @Enceos picture) that jump, grow, shrink and move as you scroll in/out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.