KEA(R) Airliner Size/Speed/Range War

1 hour ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Congrats, thats mach 4.81!

Actually the game says it is mach 5.4, the speed of sound is lower at higher altitudes. Here is the craft file, It uses APP and is for 1.4.1. I only have 1.3.1 available right now, so no screen shots. Cruises in pro grade mode at 26km altitude. It takes about 10 minutes to reach cruising-/topspeed, and over half the fuel, but once it gets going, it merely sips at the fuel while it half orbits, half flies across the skies in a ball of flame. https://kerbalx.com/neistridlar/Na-Spear-40-Rapier-p2

Edited by neistridlar
typo

59 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

Actually the game says it is mach 5.4, the speed of sound is lower at higher altitudes. Here is the craft file, It uses APP and is for 1.4.1. I only have 1.3.1 available right now, so no screen shots. Cruises in pro grade mode at 26km altitude. It takes about 10 minutes to reach cruising-/topspeed, and over half the fuel, but once it gets going, it merely sips at the fuel while it half orbits, half flies across the skies in a ball of flame. https://kerbalx.com/neistridlar/Na-Spear-40-Rapier-p2

Wait, really? Can you tell me what 1,595 m/s to mach is at 15,000m? I need to know.

16 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Wait, really? Can you tell me what 1,595 m/s to mach is at 15,000m? I need to know.

I don't have it in my head. Go in the debug menu to physics-> aero and turn on the first two check boxes. Reveals lots of fun numbers. I made extensive use of those to design the spear 40, and most of my submissions after the stout series in the KEA Thread.

22 hours ago, neistridlar said:

I don't have it in my head. Go in the debug menu to physics-> aero and turn on the first two check boxes. Reveals lots of fun numbers. I made extensive use of those to design the spear 40, and most of my submissions after the stout series in the KEA Thread.

Ah, thanks.

EDIT: Lets see who can build the fastest plane! Radiatiors are probably nessicary, as when I tested my plane, the cockpit almost overheated.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

On 29/03/2018 at 4:11 PM, Kebab Kerman said:

Ah, thanks.

EDIT: Lets see who can build the fastest plane! Radiatiors are probably nessicary, as when I tested my plane, the cockpit almost overheated.

Anything fast I have built needed to go slowly through the lower altitudes, and would burn up lower than 20km and loose power higher than 22km. Radiators always seemed to add enough drag to mean you didn't go fast enough to heat up anyway - defeating to objective. The only solution I have found is in the engine pre-cooler. But even then around 1,600 - 1,700 m/s is as fast as I can get under 20km without burn-up.

14 hours ago, Andetch said:

Anything fast I have built needed to go slowly through the lower altitudes, and would burn up lower than 20km and loose power higher than 22km. Radiators always seemed to add enough drag to mean you didn't go fast enough to heat up anyway - defeating to objective. The only solution I have found is in the engine pre-cooler. But even then around 1,600 - 1,700 m/s is as fast as I can get under 20km without burn-up.

Try putting them in the wings or on the bottom of the engines and offset them in to reduce drag.

55 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

I wonder why nobody is posting anymore...

The war is over, I won :sticktongue:! I've been working on an even bigger version of the slab, in anticipation that someone might actually beat me. Maybe I should post that just for fun.

1 hour ago, neistridlar said:

The war is over, I won :sticktongue:! I've been working on an even bigger version of the slab, in anticipation that someone might actually beat me. Maybe I should post that just for fun.

How many passengers? If it's over 6000, you win. Because the last plane I posted had over 6000. And slightly over 3 FPS. Might just use the welding mod to weld all the parts together to make it less laggy, because there are less joints the game has to look after.

1 minute ago, Kebab Kerman said:

How many passengers? If it's over 6000, you win. Because the last plane I posted had over 6000. And slightly over 3 FPS. Might just use the welding mod to weld all the parts together to make it less laggy, because there are less joints the game has to look after.

Have you been able to take off and land with that monster though? The one I have been working on is currently at 4320 passengers, and can land and take off just fine, but if yours can do that too, I will have to put in some more work on it.

Just now, neistridlar said:

Have you been able to take off and land with that monster though? The one I have been working on is currently at 4320 passengers, and can land and take off just fine, but if yours can do that too, I will have to put in some more work on it.

I didn't get 20 meters before I gave up because of the lag. Landing though... Thats a tough one. I've barely been able to land a small plane, let alone a massive ten-thousand-ton jet. I don't even know it's takeoff speed. If it's not high enough, I can just upscale the wings or have more engines so It can takeoff faster. Who knows, I might even submit a plane with completely custom engines with animated fans! Unfortunately, it requires IR, and I need to add that to the allowed mods list. Doing it now.

33 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I noticed there is nothing in plain ol' Jumbo Jet category.

Here's a fairly bog standard "747" inspired passenger jet I made a while back for no particular reason.

It seats 52 stock. By your grading metric it seats...76 I think?

D008D2A6F24B3943C4A8D0BED6C26D9DDA8BDD17

Not bad!

So I tried to extend the slab design to 7 stories, which would have given it a capacity of 6048 passengers, but it flat out refused to stay in one piece, so here comes the 5 story version, which have been proven to not only take off, but also turn around and land back on the runway! Holding "only" 4320 passengers. It has however also been proven to cause time dilation. It can all be had for the lowly price of :funds:2,4 billion. Featuring only 899 parts!

Craftfile: https://kerbalx.com/neistridlar/NA-Slab-4320

BNsDVJj.png

More images: https://imgur.com/a/EN0bz

30 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

So I tried to extend the slab design to 7 stories, which would have given it a capacity of 6048 passengers, but it flat out refused to stay in one piece, so here comes the 5 story version, which have been proven to not only take off, but also turn around and land back on the runway! Holding "only" 4320 passengers. It has however also been proven to cause time dilation. It can all be had for the lowly price of :funds:2,4 billion. Featuring only 899 parts!

Craftfile: https://kerbalx.com/neistridlar/NA-Slab-4320

BNsDVJj.png

More images: https://imgur.com/a/EN0bz

As I'm at school right now, I can't see the image, but I will try to make something even bigger when I get home. Something with interior cabins and maybe cabins on the wings. Probably going to be the largest flying wing ever built in the game. Possibly half a kilometer long. Probably less. But still oversized. We'll have to see how many passengers I can cram into it!

This one is dedicated to @Andetch. A fully stock 1152 passenger jumbo that takes of and lands at 50 m/s, has a 4900km range, and KPPM of 0.0055, and can even ditch safely in water. It is however about as ugly as they come, and it takes about 22 minutes to climb to its cruising altitude of 7.3km and accelerate to its cruising speed of 190m/s. Price: :funds:231,956,000.

RV7VFHv.png

Carftfile: https://kerbalx.com/neistridlar/MiniSlab-1152

9 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Ok, I need everybody to put dimensions of their submitted craft so I can judge where they go in the list. I can't see imgur, so that will have to do. Or use TinyPic- thats actually better.

What kind of dimensions do you want? this one is 1152 passengers. The fuselage is 10 mk1 passenger cabins long, 3 mk1 passenger cabins tall and about 7 mk1 passenger cabins wide.

3x2x1 metres I think. From engineer report in hangar.

42 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

What kind of dimensions do you want? this one is 1152 passengers. The fuselage is 10 mk1 passenger cabins long, 3 mk1 passenger cabins tall and about 7 mk1 passenger cabins wide.

3 hours ago, neistridlar said:

The dimensions I need are L*W*H in meters. That way, I can properly list the craft in the right catagories.

18 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

The dimensions I need are L*W*H in meters. That way, I can properly list the craft in the right catagories.

From details on kerbalX: 

Size
29.85 x 11.33 x 42.03

Appears to be W x H x L

3 hours ago, Andetch said:

Now do it with one main wing :-*

ZFVwlUX.png

[image of miniSlab with two antler shaped wings made out of the FAT-455 wings]

This is exactly what you had in mind right?

Edited by neistridlar
Added picture

29 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

From details on kerbalX: 

Size
29.85 x 11.33 x 42.03

Appears to be W x H x L

ZFVwlUX.png

Ok, thats probably too far.

3 hours ago, neistridlar said:

From details on kerbalX: 

Size
29.85 x 11.33 x 42.03

Appears to be W x H x L

ZFVwlUX.png

Exactly what I was thinking! Lmfao!

I'm sitting at London Heathrow right now, looking at the A380 I'm just about to board, thinking.......

....... About how lucky I am @neistridlar didn't have anything to do with the design of it!

17 hours ago, Andetch said:

Exactly what I was thinking! Lmfao!

I'm sitting at London Heathrow right now, looking at the A380 I'm just about to board, thinking.......

....... About how lucky I am @neistridlar didn't have anything to do with the design of it!

You're lucky, you get to board an A380...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.