NSEP

Poll time!  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you travel?

• No
    • Yes, but not very far outside my country/state
    • Yes, i do/used to travel across the continent
    • Yeah! I travel/have travelled across the world
  2. 2. What are your main priorities when you are travelling?

• I go for the cheapest route
    • I go for the most comfortable route
    • I go for the easiest route
    • I prefer places based on their food
    • I prefer places based on their architecture/history
    • I prefer places based on their people
    • Dunno?
    • Other
    • I go for the fastest route.
  3. 3. Why do you travel?

• I don't! how many times do i have to tell you this!
    • I work/go to school in far out places.
    • I go on a vacation when i travel.
    • I visit family.
    • I am a pilot
    • Other

This post is from the LEM thread over at the science and spaceflight section but i still want to mention this here.

On 6/28/2018 at 10:33 AM, Gargamel said:

So if you do come visit, just remember, Americans think 200 years is a long time, and Europeans think 200 miles is a long drive. 

I agree with @Gargamel on this one.

One cool thing about Europe is that most 'traditional' buildings are at least 100 years old, and it isn't uncommon to drive by a building that is even older. This includes normal houses.

One of the churches that i sort of took for granted most of my life was built 400 years ago. (restored here and there, obviously, but heck, the last time the building got restored was 94 years ago). There are also alot of gravestones inside these churches, just look at the dates, and you know these churches are pretty darn old. Fascinating stuff.

DSC5114%20Suurhusen%20Evangelisch-reform

There was one building that i think they took down recently, that was 600 years old, it was a small house, but it also was heavily vandalized. Because of those damned teens :huh:.

So to anyone who wants to travel to Europe, we got alot of old stuff here!

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

One cool thing about Europe is that most 'traditional' buildings are at least 100 years old, and it isn't uncommon to drive by a building that is even older. This includes normal houses.

Wales seemed to have more castles than they knew what to do with.  I would guess it's the same all over Europe.    There was a playground built into the ruins of one, a Mcdonalds built on the same ground as a half ruined one.    Apparently there was one that it was easier to move a planned round about .5km to circle a small ruined castle rather than knock it down and put a road there like they intended. 

Over here, When I was in the market for a house, I was looking at an 80 year old house.  Turns out it needed new wiring.  But because some idiot thought it had historical value, I had to keep the original wiring intact.   So I passed on it.   Just cause it's old doesn't mean it's historical. 

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Wales seemed to have more castles than they knew what to do with.  I would guess it's the same all over Europe.    There was a playground built into the ruins of one, a Mcdonalds built on the same ground as a half ruined one.

In the Netherlands we don't have alot of castles, but rather too many traditional windmills. Windmills are pretty much useless right now other than attracting tourists :P. People who lived in them actually complained because there were too many drones filming them and making alot of noise.

Its crazy to think that so many people go to visit our country to see something i see everyday. Imagine if i went to the US to see their urban neighborhood lol.

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Over here, When I was in the market for a house, I was looking at an 80 year old house.  Turns out it needed new wiring.  But because some idiot thought it had historical value, I had to keep the original wiring intact.   So I passed on it.   Just cause it's old doesn't mean it's historical. 

Tell em about the 600  450 year old house that got straight up vandalized and demolished (i think its still up and standing). This is a document about the poor thing. Its in Dutch, unfortunatly, so you might not be able to read it, but it does contain some pretty pictures.

http://www.hgmk.nl/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/LB35-Kloosterstraat-34.pdf

2 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Currently I’m on vacation in NJ and I’ll be heading down to Chincoteague Island for a day before returning to the Jersey shore. 

Oh hey where in NJ? Also why come here?

Also... Isn't Chincoteague near ish to like Maryland? The place with the wild horses? Cause that's a pretty decent drive from here... 

Edited by qzgy

5 hours ago, qzgy said:

Oh hey where in NJ? Also why come here?

Also... Isn't Chincoteague near ish to like Maryland? The place with the wild horses? Cause that's a pretty decent drive from here... 

It’s a tradition to come to New Jersey. Also, I am aware of how long it’ll take to get to Chincoteague from where I currently am - about 5 hours - but I’m prepared. 

On 7/1/2018 at 7:09 PM, NSEP said:

Imagine if i went to the US to see their urban neighborhood lol.

To be honest, It looks just like any of the other urban-esque neighborhoods in England, just with different architecture.  No, you come to America to see pick up trucks and large stretches of empty land. 

They put in a roundabout on my daily drive a couple years ago, a proper one, no stop signs, just yield (give way) signs.  And OMG, the chaos it caused (and still causes) cause Americans don't understand round abouts. 

52 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

To be honest, It looks just like any of the other urban-esque neighborhoods in England, just with different architecture.  No, you come to America to see pick up trucks and large stretches of empty land. 

They put in a roundabout on my daily drive a couple years ago, a proper one, no stop signs, just yield (give way) signs.  And OMG, the chaos it caused (and still causes) cause Americans don't understand round abouts. 

I have two traffic circles on my daily commute, and I can't count the number of times I've been nearly killed on them. People stopping because they think it's a four-way stop. People stopping while they're going around the circle to let people in. People thinking that the people going around the circle have to stop for them and pulling straight out in front of you. It's insane.

• 1 year later...

I absolutely adore traveling. Mainly because I love learning about new cities, the history, the culture and the languages of the places I've been to. If I had to choose which destination I would like to visit next, it would be Greece. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.