Have I reached the end?

Scarecrow

I've been playing KSP for quite some time now (since 0.17 I think) and have welcomed each upgrade as it came along.  Along the way I have sent manned missions to all of the landable planets and moons, and actually managed to bring everyone home safe again.  I've completed a career mode through to unlocking all of the tech tree, but for the most part usually play sandbox mode.

I am still on v1.3.1 as I believe a few new bugs were introduced with 1.4 and the version I am currently playing seems quite stable.  On top of that, I also understand there is new DLC, but you need to pay for that to have access.  At this point I feel that I have had my money's worth out of the game and will no longer be chasing each new upgrade as it is made available. 

There are a couple of reasons for this.  I've always enjoyed sharing my creations with other players, and have downloaded many a vessel from the Craft Exchange thread and KerbalX.  As I don't feel inclined to hand over more money for the DLC (looking upon it as a slippery slope that is only likely to get steeper) it's obvious that my version of the game will soon be completely incompatible with the latest iteration, and such sharing will no longer be possible.  As there appears to be no new gameplay content in the update, I can't see that it will offer me much more than I can already get from the version I am playing.

Maybe I have become jaded after playing the game for so long, but I have to admit that it has been one of the best games I have ever played, have learned loads about orbital mechanics, and feel that you would need to look long and hard to find a game that gives anywhere near the bang for buck that KSP gives.  But I somehow feel that for me, I have reached the end of the road.

31 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

I've been playing KSP for quite some time now (since 0.17 I think) 

[…]

there is new DLC, but you need to pay for that to have access.

Not if you bought the game before may(?) 2013. I assume you did since you say you were playing since 0.17, but assumptions can be wrong.

I've been thinking much the same for much the same reasons.

I got the game in September of 2013. I played through Steam for a while but found it interfered with the game so I started going right to the EXE file.

Got tired of only being able to play 32 bit so I installed Linux Just so I could play in 64 bit.

It helped a lot. The memory leak took longer to crash the game and the game was generally smoother.

I have landed and returned from everywhere. I have played with most of the mods. Most of which, like the game are buggy and need workarounds.

Still.. must be well over 5000 hours... That's like 8 months in game? my goodness.. that's a long time... many people have had marriages that have lasted less time than that.

I was about 3 months shy of the date for free DLC and I am not sure that I am up to buying it or if it would have made me feel more like playing had I got it. If I knew it would extend the life of the game for me enough then perhaps I'd talk my hands into my pockets.

I keep looking in the 'What do you do in KSP Today' thread to see if anything inspires or teases me enough to have another bash at something but so far the well is dry.

ahhhh ya never know.. the wind might change again yet.

I've only ever played KSP on my PS4, so I don't know about any MOD's, or even vehicle exchanges.

But as an aspiring Kerbalnaught, I love this game.

Since it's only relatively recently that the console version has become stable enough to complete the tech tree, I'm only really just beginning.

I, and many others agree, that continuous DLC and expansion pak releases with no real content, have contributed to the demise of many other game titles. But some MOD's or expansions for the console crowd would certainly be extremely welcome.

I really hope KSP isn't brought down by $$$.

As a relative noob, I would ask the wiley veterans what expansion or DLC would make the game better for you?

2 hours ago, Enceos said:

Get a planet pack and start anew :P

There are lots of mods out there which bring replayability to the game.

This is how I feel about it. Mods can completely change the game to a new experience. Also, 1.4.x will eventually become stable and people will share ships as they did before(if they aren't already). There will be ships you might not be able to have because the builder had the DLC, but this is no different than needing a certain mod for a certain craft. When 1.3 came out, I remember quite a number of people staying with 1.2. I don't see 1.4 as anything different and besides, you get 1.4 for free, it's just the mission builder and some minor things in the paid DLC. I would call that totally optional to the larger experience of playing KSP your way.

I've been playing since 0.13, but many times my grandest expeditions were frustrated by two things:

1. my computer wasn't powerful enough to do a grand mission because it couldn't handle the large crafts. (Not a problem anymore)

2. I would get into a vicious cycle: make grand mission, launch , think "it'll be a while until it arrives. I could use the time to start another grand mission", make a grand mission, launch, think "it'll be a while until-- and my calendar gets bogged down in the game where I'm paralyzed with not knowing when what's supposed to arrive. I should've got Kerbal Alarm Clock.

But I'm committing myself to the effort of putting 1 flag on every biome before the end of the year, and then I'll say I've reached the end of what I started.

I'm thinking I might not update past 1.3.1 for a very long time. It took so long to get a collection of mods working together and configured for how I want to play... I haven't reached the end of the game by any means, but I believe I've reached the end of starting over. This install is remaining locked in the past until my Kerbals actually attain some of the larger goals I've sought for years.

The problem with keeping an older version is presumably going to be the compatibility of mods.  If you're playing a set you like then no reason not keep on with the current version, but as soon as you want to start to playing with some new mods, you might struggle to find them for the older version.

I've started a new 1.4.2 career with kOS and MKS, which should prove enough of a challenge for a while.

5 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Not if you bought the game before may(?) 2013. I assume you did since you say you were playing since 0.17, but assumptions can be wrong.

So I looked at his used profile: He joined the forums May 10, 2013

If he joined less than 10 days before he bought it... ouch... if he bough it and didn't sign up to the forums until 11+ days later, then he gets it for free.May 10, 2013

5 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

I am still on v1.3.1 as I believe a few new bugs were introduced with 1.4 and the version I am currently playing seems quite stable.  On top of that, I also understand there is new DLC, but you need to pay for that to have access.  At this point I feel that I have had my money's worth out of the game and will no longer be chasing each new upgrade as it is made available. 

I also felt that I got more than my money's worth, so I bought the DLC even though most of the features (ie the missions and mission maker) didn't really appeal to me. I wanted to support KSPs continued development. You can't really expect them to be developing a game for free 5 years later without some special circumstance (like continuously strong sales, even 5 years after release).

And yea, 1.4 came with some bugs... 1.4.3 should be out very soon, which should fix them... but I agree, 1.3.whatever did seem to be quite stable.

it's obvious that my version of the game will soon be completely incompatible with the latest iteration, and such sharing will no longer be possible.  As there appears to be no new gameplay content in the update, I can't see that it will offer me much more than I can already get from the version I am playing.

Well, 1.4 is supposed to come with performance improvements (I haven't quantified this). It does come with some new gameplay content. One is relatively minor, and that is alternate versions of parts (like changing the paint jobs on fuel tanks). The also allows for changing node sizes and part models (which can be implemented by mods, and is used with the DLC engines).

A fun, but also sort of pointless once the novelty wears off, new gameplay feature are parachutes for Kerbals - that isn't part of the DLC, its in the base game with 1.4.

I don't know if it appeals to you, but it is new gameplay content that isn't just cosmetic (without the DLC or mods).

I have confidence that 1.4 will become as stable as 1.3, and when it does... why not update and get a few new features and maintain compatibility with the rest of the community?

17 hours ago, GrouchyDevotee said:

As a relative noob, I would ask the wiley veterans what expansion or DLC would make the game better for you?

Speaking only for myself, I dont want any further expansions or DLC (and I dont have or want the current DLC). What I would like is for Squad to polish the stock game and finish it off. Fix the outstanding bugs and issues, redo the tech tree and career mode, and finish the part re-texturing they started and then abandoned. 

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

14 hours ago, Enceos said:

Get a planet pack and start anew :P

There are lots of mods out there which bring replayability to the game.

This.   Redo your mod set, and it's basically a new game. 

10 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:

The problem with keeping an older version is presumably going to be the compatibility of mods.  If you're playing a set you like then no reason not keep on with the current version, but as soon as you want to start to playing with some new mods, you might struggle to find them for the older version.

I don't get why some people think $15 for a game expansion is like the end of the world.

I have zero interest in the mission builder (which is the primary focus of the expansion), but bought it anyway just to support the people who brought us this wonderful game. I've only been playing since Christmas but have over 1000 hours already, for a game I got on sale for $20. That's a ridiculous value for the dollar.

Some parts of gaming these days are in this really weird space, where people complain about paying $15 for DLC, or $40 for a title, but think nothing of giving $50 to a streamer to watch them play the game.

Seriously. What's happened to gamers that they got to this bizarre place? Is it phone games convincing people that everything should be free? Entitled Millennials? I really don't know.

But the fact that people are more willing to give money to streamers, to watch them play the game, instead of to the people who actually created the game.... that's just wrong.

Edited by Tewa

28 minutes ago, Tewa said:

I have zero interest in the mission builder (which is the primary focus of the expansion), but bought it anyway just to support the people who brought us this wonderful game.

I was intending to do the same... but I won't until exploding landing gear and nonfunctional joysticks on Linux are sorted.

40 minutes ago, Tewa said:

I've only been playing since Christmas but have over 1000 hours already, for a game I got on sale for $20. That's a ridiculous value for the dollar

I bought the game when it was still in alpha, and sure, I got a lot of entertainment for my money.
Thing is though, people who buy games in alpha do so with the expectation that their faith in the developer will one day be rewarded with a finished, release-quality game. I'm still waiting, and every release is still full of bugs.

I'd use 1.3.1 and call it a day, but landed craft randomly explode or launch into the air. I'd say 1.2.2 was the one, but it's got janky wheels and seams all over the terrain. I could go back to 1.1.3, but that one crashes every 30 minutes... 1.0.5? Nope, parts overheat for no reason and explode.
You could say I got a good deal. But I didn't get what I paid for. When I do, I'll happily pay again for a DLC I don't want, just to show support.

Right now though, I'm just about done with this mess. I'm at the point in my 1.3.1 career save where I'd like to build some surface bases nitroglycerine-fed kangaroos. I give up. I've reached the end (of my patience).
Wake me up when there's a KSP release I can just play, without encountering the latest batch of ridiculous bugs.

37 minutes ago, Tewa said:

people complain about paying $15 for DLC, or $40 for a title, but think nothing of giving $50 to a streamer to watch them play the game.

Uhh, there are people that pay streamers $50? The mind boggles.

I'm playing 1.4.1 due to the landing gear bug and it's going well. And 1.4.2 mods seem to be working fine with 1.4.1.

(And there are people who pay streamers $500 chunks....and I just imagine the same people raging at a $10 DLC, and I really don't get it.)

I am not sure what you are talking about. People who say that they do not want to buy the DLC usually add that it does offer nothing to them. I have seen no example of anyone saying that they are giving the money to streamers instead.

Not anyone in this thread, just as a general idea. There are people who complain about paying for DLC. There are people who give large sums of cash (relatively speaking) to watch other people play games.

Now imagine a group of people that fits both descriptions. There must be some, surely. 

But anyway, this is just a general reaction I have to people questioning whether to spend $15 on DLC for any game.

Because $15 is trivial.

Edited by Tewa
To clarify.

I'm also still on 1.3.1 though I have bought the DLC - more as a "thank you" to Squad rather than it having content that I'm particularly interested in (let's face it, I got my money's worth a long time ago).

I too have been to every planet and every moon, but really I don't find KSP getting old - it's more the additional challenges that you can set for yourself, though I think I would have stopped a long time ago if I couldn't have mods.  Planet are a small bonus but increasing the longevity for me is adding more stuff to think about - adding MKS so I have to care about life support, adding Extra-planetary launchpads, adding electric propellers, sea-plane and submarine mod packs so I can explore areas that I wouldn't normally go to.  My fondest wish for a KSP improvement is simply better memory management so that I can have fifty mods and a career with 150 craft on the go - my game does crash a lot.

i'm going to say something crazy here, but...it's okay to finish games.  Millions of people do it every year.  Hundreds of games are finished.  It's quite an astonishing thing actually.

KSP is this weird thing that is sometimes seen as more lifestyle than game.  Understand that, to the contrary, it is just a game, and it is, in fact, okay to be finished with it.

4 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

i'm going to say something crazy here, but...it's okay to finish games.  Millions of people do it every year.  Hundreds of games are finished.  It's quite an astonishing thing actually.

KSP is this weird thing that is sometimes seen as more lifestyle than game.  Understand that, to the contrary, it is just a game, and it is, in fact, okay to be finished with it.

I "finished" Fallout 4 about a month after it came out. Now, almost 2 years later, I still play it almost every day. I've done over a dozen playthroughs of the main story and I still love it for what it is while hating it at the same time for all the ridiculous bugs and issues that aren't fixed even years after release (Randolph Safehouse quest, for example).

I would recommend trying the realism overhaul. Makes it a whole new situation with much much more to learn and a real challenge for those who have done all the other. Im following a tutorial on youtube to get me through it. Realism overhaul makes regular KSP feel like child's play.

13 hours ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

Speaking only for myself, I dont want any further expansions or DLC (and I dont have or want the current DLC). What I would like is for Squad to polish the stock game and finish it off. Fix the outstanding bugs and issues, redo the tech tree and career mode, and finish the part re-texturing they started and then abandoned. 

Nothing in this world is free, my friend.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.