New PC, looking for new mod set for 2018

JebMacPhee

Hey there, I’ve dabbled in Ksp (mostly stock + mechjeb) for about 250 hours. I have just bought a new Alienware rig and it gets delivered Tomorrow. Looking to ask the experienced players what mods would be worth getting ( I know this is a unrealistic question) but I am looking for some Realism overhaul  , some RSS and engineer redux (to replace mech feels like cheating). I’m not sure what I should be downloading as far as a mod manager, and would also like to get some max visuals going (as KSP is the sole reason I bought a 1080 Ti rig) 

any advise would be amazing !!!

JM

Edited by JebMacPhee

2 hours ago, JebMacPhee said:

would also like to get some max visuals going (as KSP is the sole reason I bought a 1080 Ti rig)

I highly recommend these two mods:

They're gorgeous, and they run great with a 1080.

A few samples:

Spoiler

x6PVD1n.jpg

Bd9sn0P.jpg

JtM3mDe.jpg

PaL5HZ2.jpg

H6Gw6Hq.png

Another mod that I like a lot is this one:

...it's a bit more subtle than the above two-- not so much of the jaw-dropping "OMG!" effect-- but I really like what it does, and it has the additional benefit that it runs well on lower-end machines, too.

(As opposed to the above two mods, Scatterer and Stock Visual Enhancements, because to run those you'd better have a serious graphics card or it'll put your framerate in the toilet.  But those run great on a 1080, as you mention.)

That’s awesome fella’s , I’m so excited. After a couple years of vanilla play it’s going to be amazing. Excited to get back into the learning curve for RSS AND RO. I guess I’m looking forward to missions feeling more “important” 

If you're at all into code, Kos is a must. It allows you to, with relative ease, program a flight computer for your rockets, allowing you to automate some tasks without feeling cheaty (rather, you feel quite accomplished)

If you're playing on career mode, Kerbal construction time and oh scrap are must haves.

Ckan is the "mod manager" of ksp. It does some things very very well. It also has some really annoying things. Up to you if you use it.

On 5/1/2018 at 11:26 PM, zekew11 said:

If you're at all into code, Kos is a must. It allows you to, with relative ease, program a flight computer for your rockets, allowing you to automate some tasks without feeling cheaty (rather, you feel quite accomplished)

This. I recently started a career with KOs and no piloting assistance mods and I must say it feels like I am playing ksp for the first time again! Remember that satisfaction you had once you reached orbit or landed on the Mun for the first time? You can have that feeling again using your own scripts for automated launches and landings. I recommend that even if you are not really into coding because KOs uses a high level and easy to learn scripting language with a very good documentation. 

Edited by kerbonara
Spelling errors.

If you enjoy stations or motherships, I recommend this one highly:

Not only does it add a bunch of great station/base/mothership parts, it also retextures the stock science lab, hitchhiker, and cupola to match the new art style.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.