Resolution Settings Not Persisting

I have a 4k monitor, so I normally turn down my resolution a bit to save GPU load and make the UI readable. This has worked fine for me up to 1.3.1, until I started a 1.4.3 install.

As always, I started up a stock install of the new version to make sure everything was working, and edited my settings as desired. I dropped the resolution to 2048 x 1152, saved, and created a new save. However, when I loaded the save and entered the KSC screen, the resolution switched back to the default 4k. My other settings were left intact, but the resolution settings were reset. I tried several times, and even reinstalled 1.4.3 to see if the problem was a faulty download. Nevertheless, the problem persisted. As it is, I can't play KSP at all, as the UI scaling doesn't make the UI large enough for me to use. When I copied over my 1.3.1 config, the resolution would be saved until I closed KSP and restarted it, at which point it would be reset again when settings.cfg was updated to the 1.4 version. All I can think of is that 1.4.3 changed something in settings.cfg that won't let me change my resolution settings.

I can't really play KSP with this bug, so if anyone knows what's going on I'd appreciate some help!

You probably done it but did you open the settings.cfg with notepad to do a manual edit:

SCREEN_RESOLUTION_WIDTH = 2048 
SCREEN_RESOLUTION_HEIGHT = 1152
FULLSCREEN = True

(or even try to change it to false).

After that, maybe right click on settings.cfg->properties and see if the Read Only is ticked.

Do you start the game as administrator?

Are you on steam or?Cause it might be that you installed without administrator rights.

Edited by Boyster

Nothing happened. What is that supposed to do?

I have Nvidia, but my settings are identical to what they were before. It is 1.4 that broke resolution saving. I suspect that everyone has this issue, but most people don’t change resolution so it goes unnoticed.

Edited by Windspren

Alt+Enter usually toggles windowed mode in most games(and in Kerbal).

I edited the previous post, if you have any external programs that control settings and stuff.

Maybe try a clean install with administration rights(right click run as administrator).

If you are on Steam, launch it with right click->run as administrator and then download/do the Install.

I hope you figure out or someone gives the answer.

Edited by Boyster

I found that someone else had a similar issue

Can you see if your install saves resolution changes? Change the resolution in settings and then load a save.

Edited by Windspren

It changes and saves fine, only a weird thing, in the graphics settings i have to click multiple times the < > to change the resolution.

Except that, it works and saves the resolution after restart.

Try changing the resolution from main menu and not loading the save, restart the game and then load your career.

Edited by Boyster

Edit...hmm it looks like there are some ''ghost'' options when changing resolution and even if the resolution number is what you want, you might need to hit <> one more time or one less to find the correct one.

I know its a wild speculation but something is going on here, each resolution has multiple ''options'' before the < > take you to the next/previous resolution.

For example 1920x1080 stays 7 times before the button changes it.

Edited by Boyster

5 hours ago, Boyster said:

Edit...hmm it looks like there are some ''ghost'' options when changing resolution and even if the resolution number is what you want, you might need to hit <> one more time or one less to find the correct one.

I know its a wild speculation but something is going on here, each resolution has multiple ''options'' before the < > take you to the next/previous resolution.

For example 1920x1080 stays 7 times before the button changes it.

I can confirm this behaviour with my install as well.

The resolution does stick when set though.

You could give @linuxgurugamer's mod Anyres a try and see if the resolution sticks, I found it to be a very usefull tool.

Edited by LoSBoL

2 hours ago, LoSBoL said:

I can confirm this behaviour with my install as well.

The resolution does stick when set though.

You could give @linuxgurugamer's mod Anyres a try and see if the resolution sticks, I found it to be a very usefull tool.

Thanks, I'll try that

EDIT: That works great! The resolution settings still don't save every time I load KSP, but now it's fairly easy to fix the issue and I can actually play.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Edited by Windspren

• 1 year later...

I know this is old, but it turns up first when I searched for the problem. In order to help others I'll add something to this:

I had same problem but with resolution changes even after each scene. Usind AnyRes every time I change scenes would have been extremely annoing. I found out that the resotution setting in my NVIDIA software was the culprit. Theres There you can specify basically the same resolution in 2 ways. First it was under the category "Ultra-HD, HD, SD" called "4k x 2k, 3840 x 2160" running on 59 Hz. After switching the catregory to "PC" and checking "3840 x 2160 (native)" at 60 Hz KPS no longer switches resolution \o/ .

I'm not sure though wich role the refresh rate change played, I haven't cross checked.

unbenannt_1_by_hector42_dd71laf-fullview

1 hour ago, TheYear2525 said:

I know this is old, but it turns up first when I searched for the problem. In order to help others I'll add something to this:

I had same problem but with resolution changes even after each scene. Usind AnyRes every time I change scenes would have been extremely annoing. I found out that the resotution setting in my NVIDIA software was the culprit. Theres There you can specify basically the same resolution in 2 ways. First it was under the category "Ultra-HD, HD, SD" called "4k x 2k, 3840 x 2160" running on 59 Hz. After switching the catregory to "PC" and checking "3840 x 2160 (native)" at 60 Hz KPS no longer switches resolution \o/ .

I'm not sure though wich role the refresh rate change played, I haven't cross checked.

I can't read the text in your version of the Nvidia Control Center, but you have a lot more options than I have on my (US English) version. No such options for my setup, unfortunately. 

This silly problem has now persisted for a year. I have to manually change my Windows Desktop resolution to 1920 x 1080 in order to avoid the constant resolution shifts on scene changes. It's quite annoying.

Hmm, it should be a very basic option that should be present in every GPU sofware. Sorry for the german text. It's literally in "display" -> "change resolution" (= "Anzeige" -> "Auflösung Ändern"). Maybe you need to activate some "expert mode" first?

On 5/16/2019 at 3:11 PM, TheYear2525 said:

Hmm, it should be a very basic option that should be present in every GPU sofware. Sorry for the german text. It's literally in "display" -> "change resolution" (= "Anzeige" -> "Auflösung Ändern"). Maybe you need to activate some "expert mode" first?

Nope, just not there. May be because I have a gaming laptop with dual GPUs, an integrated Intel core for most desktop stuff, and then an Nvidia GTX1070 for gaming. I can use Intel's control panel application but that doesn't do a lot for KSP.

The only real work-around I've found for this whole res-switching nonsense has been to manually change my Win10 desktop resolution to 1080p before launching KSP.  Interesting, no other game I play has this problem including at least one other Unity-based game (REENTRY, an early-access "switch simulator" game emulating Mercury, Gemini and Apollo spacecraft, now in Early Access through Steam). None of them just randomly switch resolutions mid-stream like KSP does these day.

On 5/18/2019 at 6:25 PM, LameLefty said:

Nope, just not there. May be because I have a gaming laptop with dual GPUs, an integrated Intel core for most desktop stuff, and then an Nvidia GTX1070 for gaming. I can use Intel's control panel application but that doesn't do a lot for KSP.

I have a switching laptop too, though I don't play KSP on it anymore. It has a Radeon GPU. There is a switching driver for it, so actually it has the common Radeon control center when it's using the Radeon GPU. I don't know about Nvidia but maybe there is such a driver too? Alternatively there should be a manu item in the bios to set the graphics adapter to "discrete" or something along the lines, so you always use the nvidia gpu. Then you could install the common nvidia driver/control center for that gpu. Theoretically. I think.

Second, install vanilla virgin copy of KSP onto desktop and run KSP executable from there. Again, check to see if behavior changes.

If I remember right, the last time I did a virgin install was shortly before the 1.7 update. I noticed the resolution change from the set 2500ish to my native 3800ish right after finishing the loadings screens and when it got to the main menu. But then change back after actually loading the game (I don't use 4k anymore because of moooods xD ). I think after the 1.7 update it didn't change back anymore. I'm not completely sure if it was indeed right after the update or if I introduced a new mod though. At first I thought unity might have been confused by the super resolution AA I'm using and grabbing non down scaled frames somehow. I don't think this is the case though. KSP always had shown strange behaviors regarding resolution for me. When I got the 4k monitor 1 or 2 years ago, it wouldn't keep the set 4k resolution. That had been fixed with some update I belive. This was also fresh-install-confirmed. I think I also tried running as admin without any difference. As was running from a custom directory on c:\ (not "program files").

Edited by TheYear2525

• 1 month later...

GREETINGS, HUMANS!

I come with good news! I think I know how to fix it!

Right-click your main KSP executable and click properties. Head over to the Compatibility tab.

Check the box that says "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations."

Click on "Change High DPI settings" and change your scaling setting from Application to "System (Enhanced)"

Hit OK, Apply, whatever and give me feedback on if it works.

I think what was going on was that Windows has some default fullscreen optimizations for any fullscreen game and/or tries to "correct" incorrect resolutions.

P.S I have a Dual GPU too, and I also turned off any default "improvements" such as AA of any sort in the Nvidia control panel, but I feel it's likely unrelated.

P.P.S Windows 10 Focus Assist can also cause additional problems and issues with fullscreen games such as KSP, especially when Alt+Tabbing. I have it turned off.

Edited by Elmo's Minion
Extra info

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 4:36 AM, Elmo's Minion said:

GREETINGS, HUMANS!

I come with good news! I think I know how to fix it!

Right-click your main KSP executable and click properties. Head over to the Compatibility tab.

Check the box that says "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations."

Click on "Change High DPI settings" and change your scaling setting from Application to "System (Enhanced)"

Hit OK, Apply, whatever and give me feedback on if it works.

I think what was going on was that Windows has some default fullscreen optimizations for any fullscreen game and/or tries to "correct" incorrect resolutions.

P.S I have a Dual GPU too, and I also turned off any default "improvements" such as AA of any sort in the Nvidia control panel, but I feel it's likely unrelated.

P.P.S Windows 10 Focus Assist can also cause additional problems and issues with fullscreen games such as KSP, especially when Alt+Tabbing. I have it turned off.

Hi there my turle friend.

This indeed worked! Thanks very much to you!

• 10 months later...

This is still a problem in 1.9.1

If I try setting a lower resolution to boost FPS, then, as the scene changes, it will revert to HD/Desktop res. The .cfg setting SCREEN_RESOLUTION_WIDTH and SCREEN_RESOLUTION_HEIGHT are set to lower values but are ignored. The behavior sometimes does not reproduce, but the only reliable way to stop it is to change desktop resolution to lower value, and then start KSP.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.