What gameplay rules do you impose on yourself?

Klapaucius

-Don't be cruel to kerbals (Don't murder them or leave them stranded)

-Rescue kerbals from orbit whenever possible

-When it comes to building manned crafts, "better safe than sorry"

Aside from that I let myself do whatever I want, in terms of my settings for my career save file. I'll go wild with craft designs and use quicksaves and reverts liberally. Though I'm avoiding sending Bob to space, because he'll scream the whole time and make me feel bad. Bob drives a rover around the KSC and collects science, which is much more gentle. He frowns when the rover goes too fast, though.

15 hours ago, THEdragon said:

-Don't be cruel to kerbals (Don't murder them or leave them stranded)

-Rescue kerbals from orbit whenever possible

-When it comes to building manned crafts, "better safe than sorry"

Aside from that I let myself do whatever I want, in terms of my settings for my career save file. I'll go wild with craft designs and use quicksaves and reverts liberally. Though I'm avoiding sending Bob to space, because he'll scream the whole time and make me feel bad. Bob drives a rover around the KSC and collects science, which is much more gentle. He frowns when the rover goes too fast, though.

Yes, add that then you have an large manned space program kerbals become more expensive than any ship you build. 
Run with TAC life support mod who add more restriction, also tend to add extra space this is also nice in an emergency. 

Not thought of their feelings, bob is manning the minus base. Val is commander, might send them into deep space soon. 

On 10/12/2018 at 4:15 PM, Tyko said:

That's a great design for a new player! Congrats  :)

On Science Labs - there's a fun way to incorporate them and just requires a couple of rules. Rule 3 requires a mod, if you're not using mods you can still get labs a lot more balanced using the other rules. 

1. Limit yourself to running any given piece of science through only one lab, ever - no grabbing a dozen copies of an experiment and flying them to a bunch of labs
  2. Drop your science reward to half of what you're currently using - you'll get that back over time as your labs work, but it'll take time and effort.
  3. Use a life support mod - this adds a real cost to doing the ongoing research and usually requires some extra flights to bring up supplies and change out weary crews

Great ideas. I've already turned down science to 40% by the time I get ion drive and tiny engines. It's far more pleasantly slow going. Still avoiding labs while there's still unexplored biomes everywhere to help there. I really like the life-support mod options but since I haven't started any Kerballed interplanetary missions, it'll wait until I get me sea-legs on ye shipfaring with the wee lil green folk. :P

I barely play KSP as it was intended, i will spend 6 hours building a plane that flies like a trash can, or one that will glide 30 km, while only falling 2.

-Build planes, not rockets (most of the time)

-Less boosterz (Only if it's a plane)

-Realism over everything else (Scale build everything, i do that with every plane i build, and I hate it. Especially when builds don't work out)

-Stock game is too easy, throw RSS in there.

boom, now demolish the rocket building/launching facilities, and you now have yourself an airport.

1 hour ago, OrbitsR4Sissies said:

Great ideas. I've already turned down science to 40% by the time I get ion drive and tiny engines. It's far more pleasantly slow going. Still avoiding labs while there's still unexplored biomes everywhere to help there. I really like the life-support mod options but since I haven't started any Kerballed interplanetary missions, it'll wait until I get me sea-legs on ye shipfaring with the wee lil green folk. :P

Yep, the driving force behind making labs work is that I really like to build stations and mother ships. Labs and life support make stations and mother ships make sense. Without them I build these cool craft and have zero reason to actually use them for anything besides role play. It gets kinda boring to fly crews to stations just to do it.

At 20% science I need to build labs and do in-situ research to gather enough science for interplanetary missions. Just like humans are planning a station in lunar orbit to learn enough to start sending crews to other planets safely. I'm starting to think even 20% is too much LOL

Edited by Tyko

Usually play with the following:

Perma-death
No reverting flights
Comnet required
No extra groundstations (other than the Making HIstory ones)
Plasma black-out
70% Science/Funds
0.95/0.9 occlusion (though thinking about increasing this soon)
Probes before Kerbals
No Labs unless mission requires it
Always accept rescue missions
You can stuff your observation missions

Recently decided:

Minmus is OP. Ignore unless mission requires. Otherwise Mun - Duna.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.