Override maximum thrust mod request

How far should Thrust Override go up to?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How far should Thrust Override go up to?

• 130% ("Get ready for a little kick.")
    • 150% ("A little kick huh?")
    • 170% (Jebidiah will love you.)
    • 200% (Jebidiah will really love you!)
    • 300% (EXPLODE ALL THE ENGINES)
    • Different levels for different engines(EX: Size 1 engines limited to 10%, while size 2 gets 20%, etc)
  2. 2. What should the heat production go up to?

• Base value * 3 for every percent increase (So 10% thrust override = 30% more heat)
    • Base value * 2 for every percent increase
    • Base value * the percent of the increase
    • Override value * 3 for every percent increase
    • Override value * 2 for every percent increase
    • Override value * the percent of the increase
  3. 3. What engines should get thrust override?

• All Engines in game including RCS
    • All Jets
    • Certain Jets
    • All Rocket engines
    • Certain Rockets
    • Certain size of rockets (Size 1 and up or Size 2 and up)
    • RCS

I was recently thinking about how to implement thrust for levels over 100% without having to go into the hard code, and I thought, why not just change the mode of the engine instead of the code of KSP. 

So I was looking to ask if anyone could make a mod that would allow us to change the modes of engines, kind if like the rapier, but instead of changing air to closed cycle you're changing the thrust settings on the engine, so they have extra thrust, at the cost of extra heat. So for example:

The KE-1 engine:
Min Thrust: 0
Max Thrust: 1350
Heat Production: 175

So I was thinking for every percent, the heat goes up 3 percent with the override. Min thrust also gets replaced by the previous max thrust setting, a draw back to using override, so the over rides would look something like this(All overrides are based on base value times the percent of the override):

KE-1 10% over ride:
Min Thrust: 1350
Max Thrust: 1485
Heat Production: 227.5(228)

20%
Min Thrust: 1485
Max Thrust: 1620
Heat Production: 280

30%
Min Thrust: 1620
Max Thrust: 1755
Heat Production: 332.5(333)

30% heat gets a little high, but I'm sue it's a fair negative for the positives. If it's too much and the engines explode instantly, I'm sure it could be lowered to more manageable levels. 

So, yeah that's my idea/request for a mod. Anyone feel up to it, or feel like this should be a thing? 

Please leave comments and suggestions! I want to hear how to possibly improve on this idea. 

But...

Why?

The only use for this I can think of this is on Nukes and Jets, and we already have the Panther.

And it would just make Nukes better with no downside if they got it because you've probably already got the infrastructure to dissipate the extra heat.

Probably not difficult to do with ModuleManager, since it's just a case of messing with part configs.
I don't see the point though. If you want more thrust, just use a bigger engine.
All this would achieve is changing extra engine mass for more thrust to extra radiator mass for more thrust. It's also unrealistic and silly, IMO.

23 minutes ago, FireKerb said:

it would just make Nukes better with no downside if they got it

There's already a better solution wrt nukes: The LANTR in Atomic Age. More thrust at the expense of efficiency and oxidiser.

Edited by steve_v

I have no idea on the numbers, but I say go for it.  I won't use it, but there will be some players who love it, and some who think it's ridiculous.  One of the beauties of KSP and mods, you get to play the game the way you want to play it. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.