Gordon Dry

Make partless icons available in R&D for part upgrades

It annoys that a "simple" part upgrade needs a part config that refers to a model which refers to a texture to have an icon inside R&D for a tech unlock (like a Module)...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

It annoys that a "simple" part upgrade needs a part config that refers to a model which refers to a texture to have an icon inside R&D for a tech unlock (like a Module)...

What?
Show me a picture? Grammar failed me pretty hard... I have a career save going and don't really understand your annoyance. Are you referring to the fact that you can see the parts that you can unlock before you unlock them, with all their details?

44 minutes ago, Dark Lion said:

What?
Show me a picture? Grammar failed me pretty hard... I have a career save going and don't really understand your annoyance. Are you referring to the fact that you can see the parts that you can unlock before you unlock them, with all their details?

I think he's talking about the part upgrade system... Part upgrades can be seen in R&D and behave almost exactly like a part, requiring configs, models, and icons that are not used except in R&D. The complaint is that unnecessary system resources are used loading and rendering these phantom parts.

But I could be way off, I'm not a modder. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I think he's talking about the part upgrade system... Part upgrades can be seen in R&D and behave almost exactly like a part, requiring configs, models, and icons that are not used except in R&D. The complaint is that unnecessary system resources are used loading and rendering these phantom parts.

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

^This

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

But I could be way off, I'm not a modder. :)

Okay, that only further confused me. Sorry... Are you saying a mod is required, or patch of some kind, in order to upgrade parts? Or that it's possible to upgrade parts in the stock career-- not just unlock them?:o

6 hours ago, Dark Lion said:

Okay, that only further confused me. Sorry... Are you saying a mod is required, or patch of some kind, in order to upgrade parts? Or that it's possible to upgrade parts in the stock career-- not just unlock them?:o

It's a stock mechanic that(as far as I know) is used by only modders. If I understand correctly, modders have to use parts as a sort of "visual aid" to represent these upgrades. These parts are usually unusable(not available in career). The complaint is that these parts still use up system resources, and should be better optimized.

Edited by Mrcarrot
  • Like 1

There are only a few mod which do that, MechJeb being the most popular.

Its not needed, its done so you, the player, can see what is available in each science node.

Yes, it's to have an icon shown in R&D that represents the upgrade, like
Z75l19K.png

• Like 1

Basically what we want is a way to be able to use just a texture for the upgrade part icon in R&D rather than an .mu model file

Edited by PiezPiedPy
  • Like 1