Is that the Death Star coming up over the horizon?

TanDeeJay

YES. I WILL GET INTO THIS ARGUMENT.

<goes rummaging for his flame suit and some popcorn.>

<Jaime Hyneman voice>What? it's private in there </Jaime Hyneman voice>

Yeah, I got into that argument once... with a bunch of hardcore Star Wars otaku... irl. Five days days later, after invocation of the several levels of cannon and semi-canon, the agreement was:

Friends don't let friends watch "The Star War Holiday Special." There was some disagreement on if "sober: should have been added.

That one is hard to see. I didn't notice the Mun until I looked closely at the cropped image.

What mod is that, I like the clouds, (but might cause problems with my current challenge building my Sepratronoton... A probe that gets into LKO with nothing but Sepratron SRB's. Part count currently at 906... Frame rate about 4 FPS :o. I think I need to lower the graphics settings not install mods that add to the required processing... 
:D

Edited by TanDeeJay

21 minutes ago, TanDeeJay said:

What mod is that, I like the clouds, (but might cause problems with my current challenge building my Sepratronoton... A probe that gets into LKO with nothing but Sepratron SRB's. Part count currently at 906... Frame rate about 4 FPS :o. I think I need to lower the graphics settings not install mods that add to the required processing... 

It's SVE.

I tried the same thing once, to get an MK1 CM into orbit with nothing but seps.  I think I was around 1900 parts before the thing would just kraken itself to death on the launch pad, before I even had a chance to launch.  Physics easing would just murder it... to death.  I think I have a video of it, I'll see if I can dig it up when I get home.

Mine has about 3400dv at the moment, and I'm lifting a probe core not a command pod. The last test launch, I managed an AP of 120k with an orbital speed of 1600m/s. If I'd held off firing the last 1 or 2 stages, I might have made orbit. I've lowered the thrust output of all the seps to between 20 and 50% to get twr for each stage to around 2, but I need to spend some time aligning all the parts as stage 5 currently starts to roll more than I can correct for with the advanced reaction wheels. I might push the final stage seps back to 100% as I'm trying to circularize my orbit by that point and no point holding back on the thrust.

3 minutes ago, TanDeeJay said:

Mine has about 3400dv at the moment, and I'm lifting a probe core not a command pod. The last test launch, I managed an AP of 120k with an orbital speed of 1600m/s. If I'd held off firing the last 1 or 2 stages, I might have made orbit. I've lowered the thrust output of all the seps to between 20 and 50% to get twr for each stage to around 2, but I need to spend some time aligning all the parts as stage 5 currently starts to roll more than I can correct for with the advanced reaction wheels. I might push the final stage seps back to 100% as I'm trying to circularize my orbit by that point and no point holding back on the thrust.

Oh!  I was doing the Command Pod because I was doing a full trip with just seps... launch, circularization, de-orbit... and landing.  No chutes.  That's why it got so big.  I had to bring seps and landing gear down with me.

Probe core should be a lot easier.  I think I also had fins on the bottom few stages to help keep it straight until following prograde was a good idea.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.