Soil sampler machine for probes?

webkilla

So... I have an idea: I want to make a probe, shoot it at an asteroid, then have it launch a science sample box back to Kerbin - and of course that should include a soil sample!

...but there's no gizmo that allows for remote soil sample collection, at least not in vanilla KSP AFAIK.

Are there any mods that allow for this?

I suppose one could add ModuleScienceExperiment to a drill part right now, and have a probe return that type of data. Something like this Module Manager example:

@PART[MiniDrill]
{
	+MODULE
	{
		name=ModuleScienceExperiment
		experimentID = surfaceSample
		experimentActionName = #autoLOC_502018 //#autoLOC_502018 = Take Surface Sample
		resetActionName = #autoLOC_502019 //#autoLOC_502019 = Discard Sample
		reviewActionName = #autoLOC_502203 //#autoLOC_502203 = Review Sample
		hideUIwhenUnavailable = True
		rerunnable = True
		resettable = True
		hideFxModuleUI = True
		resourceToReset = Supplies
		resourceResetCost = 5
		xmitDataScalar = 0.25
		dataIsCollectable = True
	}
}

I copied most of that from the existing module from kerbalEVA. My Module Manager syntax is rusty so this might not be correct.

I don't trust my own modding skills to pull that off

I was hoping that someone had already made a mod for it with a new item or something - I'll be quite surprised if there isn't something like this already made

You're in luck! Dr. Jet's Chop Shop includes a sampling arm that works just like a Kerbal on EVA. Once the sample has been retrieved, the sample must be returned to KSP or manually cleared by a scientist, so don't expect to get a lot of use out of it - but for an asteroid one sample should be all you need. Worst case, you can always attach a spare sampler!

DMagic has a device like this, but it can only be used on atmospheric planets.  You might be able to hack that one to do what you want.

Even if you can't I highly recommend DMagic Orbital Science (Currently awaiting an update for full compatbility with US II) and Surface Experiment Pack (Requires KIS/KAS, but lets you build surface experiment bases) to anyone looking to do more sciency stuff.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.