Ways (Mods?) for reducing KSP settings below minimum?

Sharpy

So, I'm stuck at a hospital, with my netbook and bored out of my skin. Intel Atom 1.6GHz, integrated Intel chipset, 4GB RAM, 1024x600 resolution. I tried installing KSP and it... uh, runs, kinda. All settings that are accessible through options set to barest minimum. I'm getting about 1-2 frames per second in VAB/SPH, even less just in general KSC view. Didn't even get to launch; took me over a minute to get a fuel tank node-attached to a cockpit.

Are there mods or other tricks that reduce the system requirements / load below that? Get rid of the kerbals doing kerbal shenanigans on the floors of VAB/SPH, the fancy flickering lights on the walls there, whatever to make the game to run a little better...? Or maybe I should visit the thread about old KSP versions and get KSP 0.2-something instead?

9 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

So, I'm stuck at a hospital, with my netbook and bored out of my skin. Intel Atom 1.6GHz, integrated Intel chipset, 4GB RAM, 1024x600 resolution. I tried installing KSP and it... uh, runs, kinda. All settings that are accessible through options set to barest minimum. I'm getting about 1-2 frames per second in VAB/SPH, even less just in general KSC view. Didn't even get to launch; took me over a minute to get a fuel tank node-attached to a cockpit.

Are there mods or other tricks that reduce the system requirements / load below that? Get rid of the kerbals doing kerbal shenanigans on the floors of VAB/SPH, the fancy flickering lights on the walls there, whatever to make the game to run a little better...? Or maybe I should visit the thread about old KSP versions and get KSP 0.2-something instead?

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you are fine and get home soon.

I can't offer a lot of help, but I know that you can disable the kerbals in the VAB/SPH in the settings somewhere. I think it is called Enable Ground Crew or something like that.

All the best

Daf

Honestly you are going to have a hard time regardless.  KSP has always been a bit of a CPU hog due to the way that it calculates physics on each part of a rocket.  Turning down the graphics isn't going to help reduce that.  Watch some KSP videos or pick some more netbook friendly games.

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

What about playing with some really old versions of KSP?

I don't know if it would matter.  As I already mentioned above the performance hit of KSP has always been in physics calculations, not graphics.  That has existed since the beginning of KSP.  If anything they have improved that performance over time.

22 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

I don't know if it would matter.  As I already mentioned above the performance hit of KSP has always been in physics calculations, not graphics.  That has existed since the beginning of KSP.  If anything they have improved that performance over time.

Thing is I'm getting the 1-2 FPS in scenes where physics doesn't matter - KSC 'choose building' view, main menu etc.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:11 PM, Geonovast said:

What about playing with some really old versions of KSP?

Oh, did I forget to say 'Linux'? What's the oldest Linux version?

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I just tried 0.13.3 in WINE and it works beautifully.  Doesn't even need to be installed!

Will try tomorrow... but doesn't WINE introduce an entire layer of overhead?

1 hour ago, Sharpy said:

Will try tomorrow... but doesn't WINE introduce an entire layer of overhead?

As far as I'm aware, no, not really.  After all, Wine Is Not an Emulator. From what I understand it's basically just a giant reference library that tricks the program into thinking it's in Windows.

Got 0.13-3 running. FPS is still at ~1, but at least GUI is responsive - if I click something, I'll have it active come next frame or two. Didn't make it to orbit but got a good suborbital flight without killing my kerbals. Thanks!

11 hours ago, said:

Are you sure you have the right graphics drivers for your chipset? I have had nightmares getting them right on Ubuntu. There's a whole lot more to it then just opening the settings and choosing "use proprietary driver". I finally did get a driver installed that worked good with my gpu, but it took hours of searching google before I found the right instructions and terminal code that worked for me. I'm also pretty sure it also involved tty or ctrl-alt-f1 or something like that. Start by getting the hardware id#'s for your gpu then searching google with those id#'s. I gained more than 10fps by having the right driver.

edit : I just reread your op. I see where it said "integrated graphics". Yeah, your screwed. Ignore me.

I really think the bottleneck here is that poor Atom CPU.  The Atom is out there to use as little power as possible to make your Facebooking last as long as possible on a battery.

@Sharpy  Which distro are you using, anyway?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.