Hopefully my last question for a while :s But regarding Kopernicus and it being "version locked"

Fergrim

It is locked. End of statement. There really is nothing more to say about it other than you always can check the Kopernikus thread title and use the version that is listed there for the newest version of KSP / Kopernicus. (There are backports for the last two major stable versions of KSP usually). 

I kind of don't understand what a lot of that means.

So despite having it installed right now on KSP 1.5.1, I shouldn't expect it to work?

And if not, do they really update it for every minor KSP patch or would it make more sense for me to use whatever version of KSP their current one is and not the latest KSP?

Also the current Kopernicus says version 1.5.0-1

Does that mean 1.5.0 or 1.5.1?  That's essentially what's confusing me.

Edited by Fergrim

3 hours ago, Fergrim said:

I kind of don't understand what a lot of that means.

So despite having it installed right now on KSP 1.5.1, I shouldn't expect it to work?

And if not, do they really update it for every minor KSP patch or would it make more sense for me to use whatever version of KSP their current one is and not the latest KSP?

Also the current Kopernicus says version 1.5.0-1

Does that mean 1.5.0 or 1.5.1?  That's essentially what's confusing me.

For the Kopernicus version numbering: the numbers before the dash are the version of KSP that is compatible. The number after the dash are the number of releases of Kopernicus for a particular version of KSP.

If you want to play KSP with Kopernicus today , these are your options:

KSP 1.5.1 & [No compatible Kopernicus release] - KSP will start, kopernicus will not, planet packs that rely on Kopernicus will not start. If you are continuing a save game it will get broken. Many other mods are not updated yet.

KSP 1.5.0 & Kopernicus 1.5.0-1 - Kopernicus will work, but this version of KSP has a aerodynamics bug which makes it unappealing for rocket launching and plane flying.

KSP 1.4.5 & Kopernicus 1.4.5-5 - Everything works fine. 

What it means is because of the nature of the kopernicus mod, the mod authors know that any changes to ksp, even if they don't affect parts or other timing or life support or anything else, could affect kopernicus and the way it allows changes to the planets.

Rather than the complaints that 'things are broken' both in kopernicus and every planet mod forun page as well, the mod makers choose to lock to versions to ones they know will work.

My guess is that current delay in updating kopernicus is that hotfix changed something in ksp that is taking a while to solve. Or that so many people complained bitterly, the mod authors delayed their release by a day each time.  That comes from a Squad joke many years ago that said whenever someone asked, releases got pushed back. :)

That or the mod authors got so peeved at the responses that decides to skip this ksp version and wait three months for the next one.

My guess is the first option, or maybe they are busy with their paying jobs, real families or have gone on holiday.

Peace.

When I started messing about with planet packs, some of them, like Galileo's Planet Pack, completely rewrite the system so I had to create a backup version of KSP.  Ultimately, my solution was to create copies of KSP with different planet packs installed, and these all reside on in a separate folder on a separate drive.  I have one version of the stock KSP that automatically updates, and the rest stay as they are. It solves having to worry about this.

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

Rather than the complaints that 'things are broken' both in kopernicus and every planet mod forun page as well, the mod makers choose to lock to versions to ones they know will work.

I would prefer if they'd at least give players the *option* of using Kopernicus, even if it meant a "use this and I won't even acknowledge your problems" clause. I'd rather play a broken KSP with a mod rather than the mod making that choice for me as I'm not going to make my problems the problem of the mod maker. So at least a choice, would be preferable.

13 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I would prefer if they'd at least give players the *option* of using Kopernicus, even if it meant a "use this and I won't even acknowledge your problems" clause. I'd rather play a broken KSP with a mod rather than the mod making that choice for me as I'm not going to make my problems the problem of the mod maker. So at least a choice, would be preferable.

Perhaps.  But I believe the mod makers tried that and the resultant complaining was worse.  You can download the source and compile yourself or ask or pay someone to create a similar mod.

Peace.

2 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Perhaps.  But I believe the mod makers tried that and the resultant complaining was worse.  You can download the source and compile yourself or ask or pay someone to create a similar mod.

Peace.

Still could be handled better. If the mod maker needs help in ensuring the mod management process goes easier while ensuring players get the choice, I'd gladly help.

5 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Still could be handled better. If the mod maker needs help in ensuring the mod management process goes easier while ensuring players get the choice, I'd gladly help.

Excellent.  Offer that in the Kopernicus discord or PM the mod maker :cool:.  I'm sure that ThomasP would appreciate the support.

Peace .

Just now, theJesuit said:

Excellent.  Offer that in the Kopernicus discord or PM the mod maker :cool:.  I'm sure that ThomasP would appreciate the support.

Peace .

I don't exactly have the best rapport with their team (especially on Discord) but I'll reach out.

Now does anyone have the discord link?

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I don't exactly have the best rapport with their team (especially on Discord) but I'll reach out.

Now does anyone have the discord link?

The discord server link is in their post:  In case you need help with anything, feel free to join our Discord Server: https://discord.me/kopernicus

It's right above the link for sending Thomas P money via PayPal. If this mod is considered a must-have for people they should be sending money too. Kopernicus is worth at least as much to me as the Making History  ;)

Please consider supporting me and my mods on Paypal! I would greatly appreaciate it, since I don't get much money anyways. 

18 minutes ago, Tyko said:

The discord server link is in their post:  In case you need help with anything, feel free to join our Discord Server: https://discord.me/kopernicus

It's right above the link for sending Thomas P money via PayPal. If this mod is considered a must-have for people they should be sending money too. Kopernicus is worth at least as much to me as the Making History  ;)

Please consider supporting me and my mods on Paypal! I would greatly appreaciate it, since I don't get much money anyways. 

Danke Schoen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.