[KSP 1.8 - 1.12+] - Probes Before Crew [PBC] Version 2.93

_Zee

On 3/7/2023 at 9:38 AM, Czejenesku said:

Forget my last post - solved. 
But I do have another problem - im using this with KSRSS Reborn, which is 2.5 scale. How should I set the shown difficulty options with that in mind?

You're combining mods with PBC that weren't meant to be used with it so trial and error is your best bet here. PBC's whole layout is pretty dependent on the assumption that you're playing with the stock Kerbin Solar System, it's an important part of how node positioning was determined. I've never used re-scaling mods so I don't have any experience to share, perhaps others who combine the rescalers with PBC can provide some tips and best practices. Just going on a blind guess, I'd probably adjust the difficulty to be a little easier with large scale systems.

Edited by _Zee

On 3/9/2023 at 2:35 AM, _Zee said:

You're combining mods with PBC that weren't meant to be used with it so trial and error is your best bet here. PBC's whole layout is pretty dependent on the assumption that you're playing with the stock Kerbin Solar System, it's an important part of how node positioning was determined. I've never used re-scaling mods so I don't have any experience to share, perhaps others who combine the rescalers with PBC can provide some tips and best practices. Just going on a blind guess, I'd probably adjust the difficulty to be a little easier with large scale systems.

They recommend to set DSN mod. to 4 so its safe to assume that with your mod it would 3.35. Will fiddle with other settings, so far its pretty good. 

• 5 months later...

I've played PBC to just-before interplanetary so far, and it's everything I always wanted from pacing, gameplay, and progression, that KSP has always lacked. This is an amazing piece of work, and I'm now of the opinion that PBC is the definitive way to play Kerbal.

So thank you, and congratulations on the excellent work you've done here.

I will be starting up a fresh career playthrough on Twitch tonight, and expect to play into the career, further than I have taken any before. Because the modified tech tree and contracts actually keep it interesting! Now, listen... We're on page 23 of a forum thread started in 2018, for a mod to a game that has already been significantly displaced by the early access to its sequel... So, what comes next isn't advertising or self promotion. It's an invitation to the mod's author, to pop in and see someone enjoying their work, while occasionally slamming the stream to a halt, to gush about how well balanced it is.

We're at twitch.tv/roninpawn -- I'm too bed-ridden with chronic disability to commit to a schedule. So, we'll play when we play. You'll find a link to the YouTube channel where I upload the VODs, there on the Twitch page, in case you're interested, but can't make it live.

Just wanted to loop you in.
Again, excellent work. I'll never play a stock Kerbal career again.

-Pawn OUT-uhhh!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 1:28 AM, Roninpawn said:

I've played PBC to just-before interplanetary so far, and it's everything I always wanted from pacing, gameplay, and progression, that KSP has always lacked. This is an amazing piece of work, and I'm now of the opinion that PBC is the definitive way to play Kerbal.

-snip-

Thanks a bunch for all the kind words! It's really amazing to me that KSP continues to have such a large fanbase after all these years and PBC continues to see regular downloads everyday. It's a really awesome feeling knowing that my mod is a part of making that experience better for a lot of people.

Your stream sounds like a lot of fun and sorry it took me 2 weeks to reply, things have definitely slowed down around here so I forget to check in sometimes.
You really made my day friend, thanks again for taking the time to share your praise. Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Hi all! Great work keeping the mod alive @_Zee this has made my latest (now almost 3 years old) KSP1 career game a much more strategic & tactical affair. I take pretty long breaks between KSP, but it's always nice to come back.

Anyway, I'm struggling to find in the tech tree where the unlock for Mechjeb's Ascent Guidance (to automatically control launches) is in the revised/CTT with this mod?

I'm about to unlock "Unmanned Tech" for 300 and then there's "Advanced Unmanned Tech" for 550 which has a note saying "Probe cores can do almost anything now." From what you know, is that the last unlock for Mechjeb?

PBC has no patches for Mechjeb (it didn't need any) so it should be whatever the default CTT node is defined by Mechjeb. I think I recall some of the drip-fed tech-unlocked features of MechJeb don't actually display in the tech tree, they just sit silently in one of the nodes I think. Attached to the Probe Core branch of the tech tree? But now my memory is really stretching...

Edited by _Zee

On 11/2/2023 at 3:43 PM, _Zee said:

PBC has no patches for Mechjeb (it didn't need any) so it should be whatever the default CTT node is defined by Mechjeb. I think I recall some of the drip-fed tech-unlocked features of MechJeb don't actually display in the tech tree, they just sit silently in one of the nodes I think. Attached to the Probe Core branch of the tech tree? But now my memory is really stretching...

Thanks @_Zee for your response. I actually found that I was looking for the wrong thing! It's the little icon for the MechJeb thing under "Unmanned Tech" that has the Ascent Guidance and then the next "Advanced Unmanned Tech" which has the Automated Docking, etc. So those are both the standard CTT then. Leaving this note here for future generations! Thanks :D

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed the mod for the first time. Seems to work. Thank you very much.

But I got enough Science to unlock the first two tech tree nodes (11 points) without launching the rocket. Seems a bit much. And that's havign set the science rewards multiplier to 80%, which the manual says is hard.

I tried liking this tech tree, but it's kind of annoying.  Why do I get the Swivel before more crude liquid fuel rockets? It literally says in the description that it is an improvement of other types. So why do we get it first? Also better probe cores come way too soon. I can basically do a few experiments on the launch pad, and there is no reason to use the Stayputnik in any real way to get the science to get better cores.

In what file is this stuff?

{snip}

The mod is configured correctly. Try playing with the mod for more than a few hours before you draw any final conclusions about the design. It is meant to impact an entire career after all. If you still don't like the mod, uninstalling is a very simple process.

If you look at the CBSM multiplier chart more closely, Kerbin is noted as 1.5 for SpaceAny and 0.8 for AllElse. The notes are right there in the chart. Have fun!

Edited by Gargamel
Content redacted by moderator

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't check in to the forums very often these days, but the mod is definitely not derelict. Still fully functional and ready for use with the full mod list.

There haven't been any game-changing patches in years so most mods are just coasting through to the sunset now.

• 1 month later...