[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

Hello Everyone

Newbie to the forum so Hi and tank you very much for everything so far.

So my problem is light source , i created the planet and everything is ok except the light source that cames out from the sun. Here´s a pic and code.

Pic:

http://s14.postimg.org/a10fc75ap/Light_Source.jpg

Code

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
    Body
    {
        name = Scheat                
        cacheFile = PlanetPack_Scheat/Scheat/Cache/Scheat.bin

Template
        {
            name = Tylo
        removePQSMods = PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
        }
        Orbit
        {
            referenceBody = Sun
            color = 0.513,0.545,0.513,1
            inclination = 5.624
            eccentricity = 0.066
            semiMajorAxis = 130118820000
            longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0
            argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
            meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
            epoch = 0
        }
        Properties
        {
            radius = 938200
            geeASL = 0.18026
            rotationPeriod = 1420960
                    rotates = true
            tidallyLocked = False
            description = Scheat is named after Beta-Pegasi, this strange planet keeps Kerbals very cautious, because in one hand its many moons and also because it looks like the surface of Scheat looks very delicious.
            timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 300 3000 6000 12000 24000 48000 60000

biomeMap = PlanetPack_Scheat/Scheat/PluginData/BiomeMap.png

ScienceValues
            {
                landedDataValue = 10                                     
                inSpaceLowDataValue = 1
                inSpaceHighDataValue = 10
                recoveryValue = 10
                spaceAltitudeThreshold =  216000
            }
            Biomes
            {
                Biome
                {
                    name = PlaceHolder
                    value = 1.0
                    color = 0,1,0,1
                }
            }
        }
        ScaledVersion
        {
            Material
            {    
                texture = PlanetPack_Scheat/Scheat/Textures/Color
                        normals = PlanetPack_Scheat/Scheat/Textures/Normal    
            }
        }
        PQS
        {
            Mods
            {
                VertexColorMap
                {
                    map = PlanetPack_Scheat/Scheat/Textures/Color.png
                    order = 9999999
                    enabled = true
                }
                VertexHeightMap
                {
                    map = PlanetPack_Scheat/Scheat/PluginData/Height.png
                    offset = -282
                    deformity = 20000
                    enabled = true
                }                
            }
        }        
    }
}    

Can anyone help me with this?

Tank you

@Decimal, welcome to the forums!

The problem is that you need to convert your Normal Map to a dds file. To do this, just go here. Also, your 'normals' file path needs to be bumped back a tad. You also need to input your biome maps' colors like this between your biome map file path and your ScienceValues. If you put it below ScienceValues, it won't work. Furthermore, don't forget to put in your flyingLowDataValue and flyingHighDataValue in, along with a flyingAltitudeThreshold.

Good luck on your future planet making adventures!

PS: If you need more examples, go here or check out one of my configs here.

Edited by TheSealBrigade

9 hours ago, TheSealBrigade said:

@Decimal, welcome to the forums!

The problem is that you need to convert your Normal Map to a dds file. To do this, just go here. Also, your 'normals' file path needs to be bumped back a tad. You also need to input your biome maps' colors like this between your biome map file path and your ScienceValues. If you put it below ScienceValues, it won't work. Furthermore, don't forget to put in your flyingLowDataValue and flyingHighDataValue in, along with a flyingAltitudeThreshold.

Good luck on your future planet making adventures!

PS: If you need more examples, go here or check out one of my configs here.

Uau! Tank you very much. Hope this works. Only one question, i use Photoshop to modify textures and so on and i save as dds using Nvidia plugin a bunch of options appear in a separate windows. what type of dds, compression, bitmaps etc etc?

Tank you so much for your help. I will if you don't mind use your configs in my planet and try later this evening.

Edited by Decimal

3 hours ago, Decimal said:

Uau! Tank you very much. Hope this works. Only one question, i use Photoshop to modify textures and so on and i save as dds using Nvidia plugin a bunch of options appear in a separate windows. what type of dds, compression, bitmaps etc etc?

Tank you so much for your help. I will if don't mind i will use your configs in my planet and try later this evening.

Convert the textures to R8G8B8 24 bits per pixel. And feel free to use my configs anytime!

@TheSealBrigade

It Worked!! Many tanks. Although i have find another way around i figured out that spaceengine ( were i get everything now :) ) export to dds exact format that KSP uses so normal map in dds and everything else in PNG format. works great. SO next step will be moons and improve this main planet. 

Once again tanks 

There's something I've been wondering - what if I'd add the Light{} node of a star to a non-star? More specifically, can I make a non-star glow and radiate heat like a star?

Another thing I've been wondering about is, can I delete specific parts of a config? For example, can I delete the ScaledVersion only? Or even more specific, only delete the Materials{} in ScaledVersion?

On 21-9-2016 at 2:08 AM, Decimal said:

spaceengine ( were i get everything now :) )

Eh, you really shouldn't rely on SpaceEngine. It's planets all look roughly the same unless you make one yourself and are very specific about the parameters you want.

A much better alternative is using KSP's own code, use PQSMods like VertexSimplexHeight, VertexHeightNoise and HeightColorMap and use no external textures. Not only does this decrease memory consumption because of less textures loaded, it also looks a lot more stockalike.

On 23/09/2016 at 11:07 PM, The White Guardian said:

There's something I've been wondering - what if I'd add the Light{} node of a star to a non-star? More specifically, can I make a non-star glow and radiate heat like a star?

Another thing I've been wondering about is, can I delete specific parts of a config? For example, can I delete the ScaledVersion only? Or even more specific, only delete the Materials{} in ScaledVersion?

Eh, you really shouldn't rely on SpaceEngine. It's planets all look roughly the same unless you make one yourself and are very specific about the parameters you want.

A much better alternative is using KSP's own code, use PQSMods like VertexSimplexHeight, VertexHeightNoise and HeightColorMap and use no external textures. Not only does this decrease memory consumption because of less textures loaded, it also looks a lot more stockalike.

I´m not an expert  (not even close), but i´m getting very good results on space engine. I´m not saying that using only code its worse than this method but for an average planet creator like e its a very useful tool.

Also i created so far +- 15 different planets/ moons. and none of them are equal. I adjust every body to its actual heights , offsets etc etc....

I will post some photos to show some examples.

As i say before i am really a beginner in planet creations, therefore i have much to learn still, i´m happy with this results.

Tank you :)

21 minutes ago, Decimal said:

I´m not an expert  (not even close), but i´m getting very good results on space engine. I´m not saying that using only code its worse than this method but for an average planet creator like e its a very useful tool.

Also i created so far +- 15 different planets/ moons. and none of them are equal. I adjust every body to its actual heights , offsets etc etc....

I will post some photos to show some examples.

As i say before i am really a beginner in planet creations, therefore i have much to learn still, i´m happy with this results.

Tank you :)

And I'm a planet making expert, trust me when I say that KSP's own code leaves much better results. Space Engine's textures are a reliable starting point, but the problem with them is that they all look similar. KSP, on the other hand? Only with VertexPlanet you can create hundreds of different worlds.

Consider giving this a try: don't add ScaledVersion (don't worry, the only result this has is that the planet looks like the template in scaledspace, you can fix this later), and use only PQSMods, such as VertexSimplexHeight, VertexHeightNoise and HeightColorMap. Fly to a low orbit, and be amazed!

Especially with KittopiaTech (which is also being maintained by @Thomas P.) which allows you to alter planets in-game, as well as export their textures so you can update the scaledspace.

Because you see, planets don't require a heightmap. Examples of this rule are Minmus and Gilly.

I personally enjoy woking with PQS only more, it's like a puzzle: put together different PQS, each mod with a specific purpose: VoronoiCraters for volcanoes, VertexHeightNoise for mountains, VertexSimplexHeight for texture placement, VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute for tiny hills, and lastly, LandControl for colors and scatter.

You can use Space Engine of course, but SE planets are generally appreciated less by the community because of their... 'generic-ness.' Still, S.E. has some real beauties flying around, especially when an experienced hand edits the planet.

Here's a drawing I made for a friend of mine, the planets in the back were made with S.E.'s exported textures. In fact, this is what it looks like in S.E.

That's some of my best S.E. work. Then compare that to this, some of my finest KSP work. That's actually an in-game screenshot of a procedural planet, ergo, made with KSP only.

No doubt about your work (and other as well).

Amazing :)

The learning curve regarding all PQSMods is very long in time and i´m sure that i will get better results in the future. But you there is very little information and often very difficult to understand. And sometimes one guy says one thigh and other guy says the opposite so...

Just trying to learn every day and i tank you all for the tips and info :)

Tank you

6 hours ago, SSr48 said:

When I open my game with Kopernicus installed it loads fully but then it stops at a black page with the planets loading thing at the bottom. It just stays like that. Can someone please help me?

What mod are you trying to install?  Sounds like you are missing a Texture

@Thomas P. just a quick question - is there a version of Kopernicus available that works with 1.2 yet?

I'm not trying to rush you, the thing is that there's a cry for help over at the New Horizons thread made by a user that states that the planets won't show up in 1.2

After some digging over at Github I managed to find no release for 1.2, so could this be a simple compatibility issue with Kopernicus?

If so, I'm actually surprised how this issue managed to get through, iirc Kopernicus had a version checker for these kinds of problems.

7 hours ago, Galileo said:

What mod are you trying to install?  Sounds like you are missing a Texture

I have Kopernicus, Kerbol Star System, and some other mods installed, but when I removed Kopernicus and Kerbol Star System the game launches without any problems.

1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

@Thomas P. just a quick question - is there a version of Kopernicus available that works with 1.2 yet?

I'm not trying to rush you, the thing is that there's a cry for help over at the New Horizons thread made by a user that states that the planets won't show up in 1.2

After some digging over at Github I managed to find no release for 1.2, so could this be a simple compatibility issue with Kopernicus?

If so, I'm actually surprised how this issue managed to get through, iirc Kopernicus had a version checker for these kinds of problems.

back in 1.1 thomas didn't release any versions of kopernicus for the pre-release

I would expect the same to happen this time

people will always cry, that's not news :wink:

48 minutes ago, SSr48 said:

I have Kopernicus, Kerbol Star System, and some other mods installed, but when I removed Kopernicus and Kerbol Star System the game launches without any problems.

This typically happens,  in my experience,  when there is problem within the directory i.e.  spelling or something like that or wrong extension.  Sometimes it's caused by missing textures completely. The issue isn't going to be with kopernicus but with kerbal star system. If you know how,  make sure everything is correct in the cfgs.  If not,  bring this issue up on the kerbal star system thread and see if anyone else is having that issue

26 minutes ago, Galileo said:

This typically happens,  in my experience,  when there is problem within the directory i.e.  spelling or something like that or wrong extension.  Sometimes it's caused by missing textures completely. The issue isn't going to be with kopernicus but with kerbal star system. If you know how,  make sure everything is correct in the cfgs.  If not,  bring this issue up on the kerbal star system thread and see if anyone else is having that issue

Ok, thanks for your help.

6 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

back in 1.1 thomas didn't release any versions of kopernicus for the pre-release

I would expect the same to happen this time

people will always cry, that's not news :wink:

Exactly this.

Also, my amount of free time is not-so-big(tm), so dont expect a release just after 1.2 goes live. I will happily accept pull requests though :)

So I have Kopernicus installed in my GameData folder but when i look in the KSP-AVC it does not show Kopernicus or the planet mod I have installed. The planet mod is called Kumars Dwarf Stars. Can someone please help.

These are mods it shows:

KSP: 1.1.3 (Win32) - Unity: 5.2.4f1 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
Filter Extensions - 2.6
Toolbar - 1.7.12
Civilian Population Revamp - 0.0.4
Community Resource Pack - 0.5.4
CC-CP-SCANSat - 0.6.0.1
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations - 3.4
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.5.9
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.2
HyperEdit - 1.5.2.1
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.2.12
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.1
Infernal Robots - 2.0.5
MarkIVSystem - 2.2.1
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.1.6
NearFutureElectrical - 0.7.8
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.7.4
NearFutureSolar - 0.6.2
Procedural Parts - 1.2.5
SCANsat - 1.1.6.6
SpaceY Expanded - 1.1.11
SpaceY Lifters - 1.13.1
Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights for Self-Illumination - 1.2.4
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.7.1
TweakScale - 2.2.13
USI Core - 0.2.4
Freight Transport Tech - 0.5.4
Karbonite - 0.7.4
Karbonite Plus - 0.6.4
USI-LS - 0.4.4
NuclearRockets - 0.2.4
UKS - 0.40.4
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.9.1

P.S. I have to run KSP in 32 bit as some of the mods I have require it.

Edited by SSr48
Forgot details

33 minutes ago, SSr48 said:

So I have Kopernicus installed in my GameData folder but when i look in the KSP-AVC it does not show Kopernicus or the planet mod I have installed. The planet mod is called Kumars Dwarf Stars. Can someone please help.

Some mods dont use AVC that may explain why you don't see them in there.  If they don't have a .version file in the mod folder,  chances are they don't use AVC

Edited by Galileo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.